Have you ever picked up and just moved away?

Single, never married, college educated, no kids and considering a move from the northeast.

Where did you move from?
Where did you move to?
Why?
How did you go about planning ie. did you lock down a job and save X amount of dollars?
Do you think you made the right choice?

Interested in NT experiences.

This time last year I was living in a trailer and working on a horse farm in the Ozark mountains up in northwest Arkansas, having escaped from the sunken place shortly before.
I graduated this past January and flew to NYC to visit my little bro, since I wasn't doing anything productive.
I ran out of money fast, so I crashed on his couch while I looked for jobs (whatever I could get, including Postmates and construction jobs), and ****ed around and lucked up on a good one in IT (Midtown Manhattan).
All I had was the carry-on bag I brought with me to LA, all I really got with me now are work clothes until I go back home for Christmas.
Zero planning involved.

I think I made the right choice, because my vision board this time last year was trash, and I would be selling individually wrapped bags of lean rn if I had manifested it.

Dope :nthat:

I need to muster up the balls to do something along those lines but with a little more planning involved.
one thing that motivated me was that part in Jiro: Dreams of Sushi, when Jiro told his son that he had no home to return to.
you get a different type of hustle within you when you don't have a safety net or backup plan.
there is no Plan B. either you make it or you die. control your destiny my G

After staying with and assisting my elderly grandmother in Va for a year, I left VA this may to move to the NY/NJ metro area to pursue my dreams. I stayed on my homies couch for a few weeks while I searched for a job, and I left VA with just enough money to pay my cell phone bill and eat. After going on several interviews and almost spending all the money I had saved up, I found a job that has granted me the opportunity to cop a new apartment and car. Life is about taking risks and experiencing new things g. Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is necessary to reach your full potential.

one thing that motivated me was that part in Jiro: Dreams of Sushi, when Jiro told his son that he had no home to return to.
you get a different type of hustle within you when you don't have a safety net or backup plan.
there is no Plan B. either you make it or you die. control your destiny my G
Props. This is something to live by.

Moved from Alabama to Houston in December of '13. One of my boys assured me that I'd find a job in a week, and if i didn't, he'd pay for my gas back to alabama. i had another friend with a house and he agreed to let me stay there for a few weeks. I ended up getting a job at a call center that same week. I ended up rooming with two female co-workers that lived across the street from the job (that's a whole 'nother story/thread, and yes, it was about as wild as it sounds). I worked there for about 3 weeks and got another job and i was able to get my own crib.
Since then, I made connections that secured me other jobs and relocated me to san antonio and now austin. Of course none of that was in the plan, but if you've got the opportunity to go, just take the leap.

Yeah man if I fall in to some inheritance or hit a scratch ticket, Hawaii is atop my list of places to live. Realistically though, I want to move to the northwest, Seattle or Tacoma.

I thought about doing this, moving to Berlin. It would be 100% solo with no help. Never going to happen but would be the place for me haha. It's very hard to find a job over there and housing, would be a terrible idea with nothing lined up..I actually did have a guy say I could work as a server in this one restaurant when I visited Berlin, but I just didn't see it being good money and I wasn't really about it at all. Even though I've worked in the industry a lot..i really love it over there

:lol: It was like a real life Tyler Perry movie.

So I was crushing on this chick in our training class, yellow, slim/fit frame, curly hair. We'll call her Sue. I could tell from day one that she was dropping hints. I knew she was friends with another older chick in the class, but I didn't know the extent. We'll call her Robin. We chop it up at lunch for a few days and i end up getting her number. I wasn't trying to make any major moves b/c I didn't have my own place yet. I was having a hard time finding my own place bc i didn't have good rental history at the time. So towards the end of the year, my boy that i was crashing with told me that his in-laws were coming in town for the holidays so I knew i needed to find another spot fast. So in class, the instructor switched seats around daily and the day after new year, i just happen to get placed by the chick's friend, Robin. we were just chopping it up and i mention to her that this may be my last day b/c i couldn't find anywhere to stay. She said that she may be able to help me out, she just needed to talk to her roommate/kids. I was like 'damn, how many people do you live with'. It was also a plus that i had a vehicle and she didn't, so she mentioned that it would be cool if i could help her with transportation. So she told me that she would get back with me after lunch.

So after lunch she lets me know that it's cool, and I'm relieved. So after work, I meet up with her to discuss details and i was just going to drive her across the street. She was with Sue, so I offer to take Sue home as well, b/c it looked like she didn't have a car either. We all get in the car and Robin reveals to me that Sue is her daughter. I legitimately had to get out of the car and walk around for a second. They tell me that they were in a similar situation when they moved to houston (had a hard time finding somewhere to live, had to crash with coworkers). Then Robin mentions that Sue's fans helped her out. I was like...."fans". Turns out, Sue was semi famous and has been on reality shows.... Then I later learn that Robin has been on reality shows as well, and she actually won like half a million dollars in 2008 on a game show. I couldn't belive it at first, but i youtubed it and saw it with my own eyes. One of the most bizarre feelings i've ever felt. They were on a reality show together a few years later, but the money was clearly gone. I never asked what happened, but she alluded to a bad divorce. She also had a son that lived with them, lil buddy was like 8, mad cool. I used to help him work on his bball game and everything. I was there when he made his first basket at a little league game.

When I get to their crib, I immediately notice that they are a little different. Like, just the way the apartment was situated was strange. But whatever. Their relationship wasn't your typical mother daughter relationship either, it was more like older sister/ younger sister. So as the days go by, things are going well, stuff is cool at work (i was pretty much the funny guy in training, so i was cool with lots of people) and we're having fun after work at their crib. It was legit just like a family setting. Me and sue start do develop a lil chemistry. one day we kissed when alone in the room. a few days later, while robin was out with one of her male friends, i smashed sue. The lil bro was on the other side of the apartment sleeping. We had hella nice episodes. over the course of the next few weeks: in the car, in a hotel room, she even forced me to smash in my room while robin was in the living room knocked out on some flu medicine. I wanted to smash in the car, but she was like, i'll just come to your room later, i was like 'uhh, robin is there' here words, ver batim were 'stop being so scared' :wow:that was a solid smash too. We started off watching breaking bad (i put them on that show, they loved it too) then i started eating her out from the back, then slid it in from the back, i still remember seeing the shadow cast on the wall. They let me keep my dog there too, so he was in the room in his crate, which was kinda weird, but i just draped his crate with a blanket. She started bopping me something serious, i let off in her mouth, but she didn't swallow :stoneface: Over the course of our happenings, i drop ideas of us getting together, but she dismisses it, saying that she doesn't want anything serious, and she was going to be leaving the country soon for a singing gig and she'd be gone for a year at least.

Back to the training class, there are two other notable people. The only other black dude in there, we'll call him Tim. He was funny too and a lot of chicks thought he was cute. There was also a lesbian, Tonya. Tonya's friends made a sexual comment about her eating Sue out and sue reacted kinda oddly, but i paid it no mind.
Sue knew that Tim and I were pretty cool, and she asked me for his number one day, which i thought was odd.

When i first moved in, Robin was all like 'oh you can come and go as you please, blah blah blah'. Well there was a situation that took place that caused things to get a little sour. I went to workout with some friends one night and came back waaaay later than i expected. like 1 am. I came in the crib and was making normal noise, but i'm sure it interrupted their rest. They both were acting kinda funny that next day, but nothing serious. So one weekend, i'm ab to go to verizon and i notice that my key is missing, everyone acts clueless, robin even has the audacity to say the the little boy took it. I'm like whatever. So later that night i bring it back up and robin confesses that she took it bc she didn't like the fact that i was making noise the other night. i"m like whatever, this just prompts me to search even harder for my own place.

About a week later, i secure another job and quit the call center. The new job didn't start for about 3 weeks, and I found out about a 10 day football camp in Dallas that i was approved to work with. Knowing this, I let them know that I'm gonna be gone for a while, and i want to take them to some car lots to get a vehicle. We end up finding one for them and it was a great feeling. (To this day, whenever I see that type of car, i think of them). So i'm off to Dallas for the camp. While i'm there, i was trying to contact them, to discuss new terms since they didn't need me for transportation anymore. But i could never reach them and i start getting puzzled. On the way back, I didn't know what to expect.

So i get to their crib, knock on the door and robin answers, half sleep. I immediately notice new furniture, and i'm like 'damn, yall redecorated since i've been gone. She was there by herself and at this point, i feel like the writing is on the wall, so i just make it seem like i came there to get the rest of my clothes so i could bounce (no clue where i was about to go). As i'm packing, i hear a knock on the door. It's her son, i see that he's wearing some jordans (he was wearing some inexpensive shoes the entire time i was there. I wanted to cop him something decent, but i just didn't have the bread). I hear some footsteps up the stairs, it's sue walking in. She sees me and gives me a half-hearted 'whats up' , with a look on her face like 'what are you doing here'.... Then i hear another set of footsteps coming up...I'm like, ok, that's probably Tim, she just didn't want me to know... Wrong. Walking through the door.....it was Tonya. I was like :wow:whoa, did not expect that. it wasn't awkward or anything, we spoke and kept it moving. As i'm dipping out, they're all hugged up in the corner while helping the brother with his homework.

I had to drive back to alabama and secure a crib from the internet. I drove back to houston the day before my job started. And my damn car broke down in the middle of Gears rd.... but that's the beginning of another story.

did it a few times , moved from atl to l.a. on a whim lasted a year there, moved from l.a. to san antonio lasted 3.5 years, now ive moved from San Antonio to odessa texas. Every move i made has made me more money but it feels like im going back in time lol. i know odessa tx isnt my last stop but i dont want to to move once i have kids or settle down with anyone. Never had any support from family on any moves just hustled up and followed the money.

Going to be doing this when I graduate at the end of 2018.

Take the highest paying job offer I get somewhere out of state and just disappear.
Solid plan, I'm on the same wave ...once I get that salary vs cost of living balance I'm looking for I'm out ! Good luck mane

Same here. What field are you in?
I'm in research grants n contracts for universities right now , alotta opportunities available ...but my resume been all state/local govt n higher education so I'm looking at all types of govt n college/univ work

How's your search going ?

How's your search going ?

Plenty of jobs, but I'm looking in the public sector. Almost all require candidates to be citizens of the state with a valid license.
Some even require experience in subordinate roles in the same agency :sick:

Quite a few times.

When I first moved out on my own, it was moving out of my dad's house in southern CA to my own place in eastern TN. 'Bout $2k to my name, and everything I owned in the back of an '85 4x4 Toyota pickup with a hardshell.

Met this chick, we married, had a kid, moved here and there and everywhere, we split.

Then 4 years ago, I packed everything up and moved from Huntington, WV to southern IL. Everything I owned in a UHaul, my 1996 Camry on a trailer in the back.

Had no job or living spot before moving any of the times I've relocated.

Last edited:
My circumstance a bit different, but I'll go...

Married with a bunch of kids.... Dying to get out of the distractions, and unhealthy environment of busy city life in the northeast.
An online friend said he had work and a place to stay. So I quit my job, moved my family to the midwest, out in the sticks.
My wife was down for it all, which gave me peace with the decision. We lived in my friends camper for a couple months while I stacked
money doing construction. I went from the busy city street of the east to in the middle of no where... and I love it.
I saved up to get a house, and I been out here for bout a yr now. Best decision ever. Got more space for less money.
Got a lil garden where I grow my own food. Got a bunch of friends who farm and always giving me free stuff (I eat organic, so that $$$ Im saving)
Fresher air, slower pace, just an all around better quality of life. I took a giant chance and my family is soo much happier for it.
I just got back from NY, I been back 3x so far. Thought I was a city boy for life, the grass is much greener on this side.

From from NY to LA about 4 years ago.

I had a pretty good office job at a marketing firm but I quickly found out I wasn't made for the 9 to 5 Monday to Friday life. Saved up about 5k and drove across the country and I don't regret it at all. Crashed with a friend in Long Beach for about a month before I was able to find a good paying gig and a nice pad in K Town. If you want to do it, just do it.

Back
Top Bottom