Have you sold a car? Help me out! I need advice/procedure...

Ok, I'm selling my car tomorrow, but I'm not really familiar with the process so I need some advice mainly so I dont get burned...

I have the title and keys... Where do I go from there? lol

Where can I get a good bill of sale from? Is that all I really need? That's all I signed when I bought the car was the title and bill of sale...

search google for car bill of sale and get the form that you have to get on dmv where u write how much the car was and sign off on it.

Make sure you get a release of liability signed and turned into DMV. If you don't do that..the new owner can get parking tickets, etc. before he registers it in his name and all the tickets will go to you. 

The absolute easiest way is on craigslist. Just be upfront about what the car needs. I sold my old car on there and it was mad easy. what are you selling?

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

The absolute easiest way is on craigslist. Just be upfront about what the car needs. I sold my old car on there and it was mad easy. what are you selling?

Nissan 240SX.

Yup just sold my car a few weeks ago on craigslist. Definitely the easiest. Give as many details as possible, pictures etc. That way you don't have someone come check out your ride that isn't planning on buying it.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Yup just sold my car a few weeks ago on craigslist. Definitely the easiest. Give as many details as possible, pictures etc. That way you don't have someone come check out your ride that isn't planning on buying it.

Good advice, but I'm more worried about the sales process. I already have a couple means to sell it. So a release of liability and a bill of sale is all I really need?

Call your local Department/Bureau of Motor Vehicles.  Procedures vary from state to state.  Some states you just fill out the info on the back of the title, sign it, hand it to them, and you're good to go.  Some states you need a notary to sign off on it.  Some states you have to go hand-in-hand to the BMV and wait in line with the smelly mofo and fill out a bunch of forms there together in person.  It's worth calling the local place so you know exactly what you have to do in your state.

Back
Top Bottom