Having a summer internship Appreciation/Unappreciation

you actually miss out on a lot by NOT doing an internship. aside from the experience and resume help, the money is huge. i failed to get an internship after freshman year and couldnt do anything fun because i had no money. summer of soph year i made 7-8k and was ballin when i went back to school. that kinda money is a lot at that age.

How old are you OP?  Once you become an upper classman your priorities usually change and you start focusing on your career.  Internships do a lot to help you.  I noticed that networking is key ever since I switched out of the medical field.  My brother was dumb and never did an internship.  He graduated and can only find traveling salesman jobs.  He's been jobless for a year now.  I have the same major but plan on doing an internship next summer.  I'm in business management but want to get an internship dealing with accounting or finance.

How old are you OP?  Once you become an upper classman your priorities usually change and you start focusing on your career.  Internships do a lot to help you.  I noticed that networking is key ever since I switched out of the medical field.  My brother was dumb and never did an internship.  He graduated and can only find traveling salesman jobs.  He's been jobless for a year now.  I have the same major but plan on doing an internship next summer.  I'm in business management but want to get an internship dealing with accounting or finance.

had an internship with target 2 years ago

- pros
- I was making bread
- looked good on my resume

-cons
- I hated the hell out of retail and that damn job
- hated the hours, especially when we had to work over night
- boring as all hell

had an internship with target 2 years ago

- pros
- I was making bread
- looked good on my resume

-cons
- I hated the hell out of retail and that damn job
- hated the hours, especially when we had to work over night
- boring as all hell

I've spent my summers working since I was 13, never regretted it at all. I always have money to blow now and have a much better lifestyle and resume than most of my peers. Also, I never have to work during the school year which makes it a lot easier to do well in my classes. You don't miss anything during the day anyway. Maybe a couple pick up basketball games, or an occasional lunch out.

shogun-Not trying to discourage you at all but it seems to me that management is a very tough job market. Have you ever considered public accounting for a few years then moving to a management role at a corporation, or accounting->b-school->management at a corporation? Accounting has a lot of good exit opportunities and they hire so many people, it's almost easy to get hired.

I've spent my summers working since I was 13, never regretted it at all. I always have money to blow now and have a much better lifestyle and resume than most of my peers. Also, I never have to work during the school year which makes it a lot easier to do well in my classes. You don't miss anything during the day anyway. Maybe a couple pick up basketball games, or an occasional lunch out.

shogun-Not trying to discourage you at all but it seems to me that management is a very tough job market. Have you ever considered public accounting for a few years then moving to a management role at a corporation, or accounting->b-school->management at a corporation? Accounting has a lot of good exit opportunities and they hire so many people, it's almost easy to get hired.

This is childish OP. If you were about that "Advancing your future" life then you wouldn't have made this thread. An internship is pretty much a peek into the real world as a college student. When you grow up and mature you will realize what's important.

This is childish OP. If you were about that "Advancing your future" life then you wouldn't have made this thread. An internship is pretty much a peek into the real world as a college student. When you grow up and mature you will realize what's important.

Originally Posted by Storm2006

Originally Posted by Storm2006

OP im in the same boat as you..had to move home to do a summer internship and it couldnt be more boring down here. Im alll about bettering my resume nd helping my future but theres just something about the 9 am corporate office work days that get me.

I cant even complain tho, i only work mon, wed, thurs 9-3
30t6p3b.gif
i need to turn 21 so i can make these mia trips

OP im in the same boat as you..had to move home to do a summer internship and it couldnt be more boring down here. Im alll about bettering my resume nd helping my future but theres just something about the 9 am corporate office work days that get me.

I cant even complain tho, i only work mon, wed, thurs 9-3
30t6p3b.gif
i need to turn 21 so i can make these mia trips

You fools need to be easy. The dude obviously knows what he has to do, and how to go about doing it in order to advance his life, career, etc. My man is basically saying how it's going to be a tough transition from being a college student with little to no responsibilities to now suddenly having all his time, energy, and current routine of doing things flipped upside down. Don't sit here and front and say the same worries of losing freedom to do whatever you want all day/night weren't in your heads when it came time to start working for real or an internship. 
OP I can sympathize with you because I started working full time 9-5 this past week. Trust me, I came home the first day mad at the world, already missing my old life of waking up at 11, eating lunch, going to the mall, buying whatever, coming home playing video games, go for a bike ride, eat dinner, watching Sports Center, pre game, then go out. Sucks for us, but the real world doesn't work that way. I'm already beginning to learn it's all about finding another routine and being comfortable with that. Life goes on, you never keep doing the same *#$@ over and over again. Yeah the job may suck, and it's the summer time and mad people are out enjoying it while your chilling in the office doing nothing, but it'll be alright once you see that money rolling in. You already know the experience will help out tremendously, and the money in your pocket will be cool. If all else fails, you can always leave and find something else to do. You don't owe anyone anything.

You fools need to be easy. The dude obviously knows what he has to do, and how to go about doing it in order to advance his life, career, etc. My man is basically saying how it's going to be a tough transition from being a college student with little to no responsibilities to now suddenly having all his time, energy, and current routine of doing things flipped upside down. Don't sit here and front and say the same worries of losing freedom to do whatever you want all day/night weren't in your heads when it came time to start working for real or an internship. 
OP I can sympathize with you because I started working full time 9-5 this past week. Trust me, I came home the first day mad at the world, already missing my old life of waking up at 11, eating lunch, going to the mall, buying whatever, coming home playing video games, go for a bike ride, eat dinner, watching Sports Center, pre game, then go out. Sucks for us, but the real world doesn't work that way. I'm already beginning to learn it's all about finding another routine and being comfortable with that. Life goes on, you never keep doing the same *#$@ over and over again. Yeah the job may suck, and it's the summer time and mad people are out enjoying it while your chilling in the office doing nothing, but it'll be alright once you see that money rolling in. You already know the experience will help out tremendously, and the money in your pocket will be cool. If all else fails, you can always leave and find something else to do. You don't owe anyone anything.

Originally Posted by Be Easy

That's true, I hated it when I first started my 9-5 but then I realized that I didn't have a choice lol, that's life.  Just because you have a 9-5 doesn't mean you can't go out and party still, though.  Just take it easier than usual and don't stay out later than you have to.  Go home and go to bed after you go out, don't go to ihop or coney island and sit around talking for 2 hours afterwards like everyone else.  And join costco or sams club so you can buy 5-hour energy and redbull by the case

That's true, I hated it when I first started my 9-5 but then I realized that I didn't have a choice lol, that's life.  Just because you have a 9-5 doesn't mean you can't go out and party still, though.  Just take it easier than usual and don't stay out later than you have to.  Go home and go to bed after you go out, don't go to ihop or coney island and sit around talking for 2 hours afterwards like everyone else.  And join costco or sams club so you can buy 5-hour energy and redbull by the case

Thank You. y'all acting like im supposed to like and enjoy work
laugh.gif

but yea im starting to adapt to the routine of waking up early and going to sleep earlier and sacrificing some of my social life. not going out = more money in my pocket plus the fact that im earning a bunch helps a ton

Thank You. y'all acting like im supposed to like and enjoy work
laugh.gif

but yea im starting to adapt to the routine of waking up early and going to sleep earlier and sacrificing some of my social life. not going out = more money in my pocket plus the fact that im earning a bunch helps a ton

Originally Posted by reeeem0

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

I'm extremely happy and thankful to have a full time job for the summer, especially related to my studies. But I feel I'm too young for the 9-5 mon-fri lifestyle and need to enjoy my youth before it's too late. During the school year I had fridays off so thursday nights would be the party nights but these days I gotta go to sleep early on thursday and I'm not used to a 5-day work week. I feel like I'm in the movie Office Space sometimes. Any other NTers in the same boat?
pros: 
-great experience, looks great on the resume

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

-7:15 am wake up monday-friday

-extremely tired during/after work, and I have 2 baseball games per week

-can get boring, and looking out the window at the sunny great weather doesnt help
laugh.gif

the older you get, the more you realize the cons are irrelevant(minus the baseball) when money is involved.
wink.gif
QFT plus you might meet a few people who can network later on down the road. Worked for me

Originally Posted by reeeem0

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

I'm extremely happy and thankful to have a full time job for the summer, especially related to my studies. But I feel I'm too young for the 9-5 mon-fri lifestyle and need to enjoy my youth before it's too late. During the school year I had fridays off so thursday nights would be the party nights but these days I gotta go to sleep early on thursday and I'm not used to a 5-day work week. I feel like I'm in the movie Office Space sometimes. Any other NTers in the same boat?
pros: 
-great experience, looks great on the resume

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

-7:15 am wake up monday-friday

-extremely tired during/after work, and I have 2 baseball games per week

-can get boring, and looking out the window at the sunny great weather doesnt help
laugh.gif

the older you get, the more you realize the cons are irrelevant(minus the baseball) when money is involved.
wink.gif
QFT plus you might meet a few people who can network later on down the road. Worked for me

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Yeah, I know that the opportunities are slim right out of school.  My college is small so an accounting major is not available, they do give an accounting certificate which probably doesn't mean much.  My school has a program where they team up with another bigger college.  I can finish up my undergrad at my school while also taking classes for the bigger college's masters accounting program.  I'm looking to apply next year.  I know I want my future to be in either accounting or finance.  I'll be looking to get internships in those fields.  My friend had an internship at one of the big 4 last summer and he finished his masters a few days ago.  I will definitely ask him for advice.

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Yeah, I know that the opportunities are slim right out of school.  My college is small so an accounting major is not available, they do give an accounting certificate which probably doesn't mean much.  My school has a program where they team up with another bigger college.  I can finish up my undergrad at my school while also taking classes for the bigger college's masters accounting program.  I'm looking to apply next year.  I know I want my future to be in either accounting or finance.  I'll be looking to get internships in those fields.  My friend had an internship at one of the big 4 last summer and he finished his masters a few days ago.  I will definitely ask him for advice.

Back
Top Bottom