"He makes his teammates better"

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Originally Posted by JD617

Chauncey is staying in Vegas with JR Smith and training with him over the next 3 weeks and trying to instill some maturity and discipline in him. That's making your teammates better, isn't it?
I agree with you but people don't use that term in that way. After a good pass to an open teammate, an announcer or whatever will say "he makes his teammates better" and in that case it is false.
Exactly. Passing to an open teammate is not making your teammates really better, it's making the right play. There's a lot more that goesinto really making your teammates better than just passing them the ball, it's leadership, focus, and setting and example and instilling confidence intothem as well.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

friscostylez wrote:
JD617 wrote:
Chauncey is staying in Vegas with JR Smith and training with him over the next 3 weeks and trying to instill some maturity and discipline in him. That's making your teammates better, isn't it?
I agree with you but people don't use that term in that way. After a good pass to an open teammate, an announcer or whatever will say "he makes his teammates better" and in that case it is false.

Exactly. Passing to an open teammate is not making your teammates really better, it's making the right play. There's a lot more that goes into really making your teammates better than just passing them the ball, it's leadership, focus, and setting and example and instilling confidence into them as well.

Good points. I understand where ya'l coming from. I do still think that the overall drive from improvement comes from the individual themselves though. Iapplaud Chauncey for stepping up and being a mentor to J.R.. And I applaud J.R. for being a receptive student. You can preach to a teammate about how animprovement in their game will benefit themselves and everyone else, but it goes nowhere if the person isn't receptive and willing to make that step.

Making your teammates better basically means you set them up well and you know when and where to give them the ball.

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Originally Posted by JD617

Exactly. Passing to an open teammate is not making your teammates really better, it's making the right play. There's a lot more that goes into really making your teammates better than just passing them the ball, it's leadership, focus, and setting and example and instilling confidence into them as well.
But what if he's open because the other team is commiting to that one player so much?

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

friscostylez wrote:
JD617 wrote:

Good points. I understand where ya'l coming from. I do still think that the overall drive from improvement comes from the individual themselves though. I applaud Chauncey for stepping up and being a mentor to J.R.. And I applaud J.R. for being a receptive student. You can preach to a teammate about how an improvement in their game will benefit themselves and everyone else, but it goes nowhere if the person isn't receptive and willing to make that step.

True. It does ultimately come from within, but sometimes a player has such clout, goes so hard every time out, and demands perfection and that yougo hard as well, that they directly have an influence on how you approach the game. Kobe is the prime example of this b/c even with the best players in theworld on Team USA around him last summer, they all were raving about his work ethic and the example he set made them go at it that much more. And these areguys like LeBron, Wade, CP3, Bosh etc., the elite of the elite in the NBA. I think that players are much more receptive when that player actually sees it andthe benefits of it than being told.

I think making your teammates better has a lot to do with confidence than skill ....... A good example of this was Big Baby in the playoffs this year ... Eventhough before this season he put in a lot work to be able to hit that 15-17 ft jumper .. it wasn't until Rondo kept hitting him when he was in situationswith a greater probability of hitting that shot ..... which in turn made his confidence in the shot grow ....... Yes he was the one that ultimately put in workto be able to consistently hit that shot but Rondo helped him build his confidence that he could hit it in game situations, thus helping him improve

Also the Tyson Chandler and CP3 example fits into this also, because before CP3 Chandler wouldn't necessarily look for the scoring opportunities that CP3helped set up making him less confident and aggressive on the offensive end

Players are made better more by the system or environment, which may be influenced by one player.

Kobe never really changed on the court. He always plays the same, but it's gonna appear that he can "make his teammates better" when those guysare Pau and D Fish instead of Kwame and Smush.

It's just an overused term where people lose sight of what it actually means.

Originally Posted by xblker47

Originally Posted by vcshoxj6

two words: jason kidd. steve nash magic johnson

/end thread.
fixed
grin.gif
fixed
smile.gif

Originally Posted by raptors29

Making your teammates better basically means you set them up well and you know when and where to give them the ball.
your describing a good player maker and a good maker doesn't essentially mean a person that makes his teammates better.

2 words: Lebron James

if anyone sits there and tells me that the cavs are at least half the team they are without LBJ
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

anybody who elevates their teammates' play. there is a difference in just setting them up for open shots and making them better. i think it comes with aplayer who is a leader and has that "it" when it comes to winning instinct.

^ Anybody who elevates their teammates' play. So the ability to "make your teammates better" isn't only limited to franchiseplayers/all-stars then, right? Because you don't have to be an all-star to have a winning instict.

If the term "making your teammates better" is false than the Denver Nuggets would have never made it to the WCF. Chauncey's leadership alonebrought that team where it needed to be.

Jason Kidd during his two straight Finals run with the Nets.

Tell me what other PG around that time could bring that Nets team to the Finals two years straight?

The fact that Mikki Moore signed a new contract about two years ago proves that certain players make their teammates better.

Originally Posted by D723

If the term "making your teammates better" is false than the Denver Nuggets would have never made it to the WCF. Chauncey's leadership alone brought that team where it needed to be.

I have to disagree with you...Chauncey's prescene on the team was vital, but it definately wasn't the only reason. And that's part of the problem,we're giving one man the credit for a TEAM accomplishment.

lmao people who don't think its possible to make ur teammates better are ******ed.

no it doesn't mean you make them more skilled or athletic, but there are more factors in how good a player is in addition to those two traits.

Certain players can motivate people more. even lebron admits himself that he took that lockdown defense approach from his Team USA teammate Kobe Bryant.Therefore..Kobe made Lebron better.

Everybody knows that whenever CP3 gets Chandler an alley, not only is it gunna be a +2 on the box score for Chandler, but its going to make Tyson moreconfident, focused, and keep his head in the game on the defensive end as well.

Coaches can make players better

Getting a person the ball in the right spots, setting them up for shots properly, spacing the floor out for them, having leadership, setting an example, etc.will not make a player more skilled or athletic...but it can increase a teammate's confidence, determination, work ethic during the season and offseason,focus during the game, and also make a player have more of that team first mentality.

Larry Bird took a team of nobodies at indiana state all the way to the ncaa championship game. I don't think there's a better example of making yourteammates better than that.

Talbert

I agree with the idea that nobody makes anyone better unless they are working out with them in the summer. Players don't get BETTER during the season. Theyfigure thins out yes. They might understand things a little better.

THe most one player can do is make another player's life easier.

NAsh made it EASIER for Marion/Amare
CP3 made it EASIER for Tyson
SHaq made it EASIER for anyone he played with

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I agree with the idea that nobody makes anyone better unless they are working out with them in the summer. Players don't get BETTER during the season. They figure thins out yes. They might understand things a little better.

What could Nash do for Kwame and Smush?
nerd.gif

Kobe would put the ball right in Kwame's hands and he would fumble it outtabounds. So how does Nash help a guy who can't do nothin?

He can't. The player being made "better" has to already have talent of his own. So the notion of someone making others better is lame, it'sthe other guys around said player contributing that is the crux of the discussion. Role players knowing and doing their roles as expected.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I agree with the idea that nobody makes anyone better unless they are working out with them in the summer. Players don't get BETTER during the season. They figure thins out yes. They might understand things a little better.

What could Nash do for Kwame and Smush?
nerd.gif

Kobe would put the ball right in Kwame's hands and he would fumble it outtabounds. So how does Nash help a guy who can't do nothin?

He can't. The player being made "better" has to already have talent of his own. So the notion of someone making others better is lame, it's the other guys around said player contributing that is the crux of the discussion. Role players knowing and doing their roles as expected.

dont get started with CP and steve nash now
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom