Health-Care bill drafted by Democrats & Obama to include $600 BILLION in TAX INCREASES...

June 12 (Bloomberg) -- Health-care overhaul legislation being drafted by House Democrats will include $600 billion in taxincreases and $400 billion in cuts to Medicare and Medicaid, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel said.

Democrats will work on the bill's details next week as they struggle through "what kind of heartburn" it will cause to agree onhow to pay for revamping the health-care system, Rangel, a New York Democrat, said today. He also said the measure's cost will reach beyond the $634billion President Barack Obama proposed in his budget request to Congress as a down payment for the policy changes.

Asked whether the cost of a health-care overhaul would be more than $1 trillion, Rangel said, "the answer is yes."

House Democrats plan to release their legislation next week. Obama has made a health-care overhaul a top domestic priority and is working with Congress to get legislation to his desk by October.

Democrats in the House and Senate are working on legislation that would require all Americans to have health insurance, prohibit insurersfrom refusing to cover pre-existing conditions and place other restrictions on the industry.

The legislation would establish online exchanges for individuals to purchase insurance and would require employers to provide health benefitsto workers or pay a penalty. Some Democrats also are backing creation of a government-run program to expand coverage to the uninsured. The issue is the subjectof bipartisan negotiations with Republican opponents.

http://www.bloomberg.com/...087&sid=aqLNecbH0dcg

will i be paying less than $190 a month? (what i currently pay for ins)

if so, i'm down.

smh.gif
Jesus H. Christ....

Maybe government shouldn't be doing this, but health costs are outrageous. Too often there is price gouging. I guess I'm indifferent on this.

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Also what do you think the odds of you not taking a "L" in this thread?

slim-to-none.

btw, health care is two words but not hyphenated......

Do I wish he didn't spend all this money? Yes.

Am I glad (as someone who will most likely have a family by the time he's out of office) that he is doing what he feels is best to overhaul the health-caresystem? Yes.

what worries me more is the proposal to tax health benefits.

I'll be sending a note to my senators that they'll lose my vote if they vote yes for it.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

what worries me more is the proposal to tax health benefits.

I'll be sending a note to my senators that they'll lose my vote if they vote yes for it.

Im also going to be doing the same.

So what ...

More taxes for healthcare is
pimp.gif

More people alive > More Xbox games .

The taxing of employer provided benefits is part of along term solution to high costs and a lack of access for many Americans. By not taking health benefits,employers often times find it more economical to make full or near full coverage insurance part of their employee's compensation package. This practicestarted during World War II, when wages were capped and employers and government mutually allowed the wage caps to be circumvented.

Ending this practice along with a few other changes, such as tax sheltered individual savings accounts, would help to shield people from unexpected costs butbecause they would be paying a higher deductible from their own account, there would be a greater incentive to use medicine more sparingly and to emphasizeprevention. That brings down costs and that increases access for those who have no insurance and get little or now medical care.

Attaching insurance to one's work place and then having it be "gold plated" gives us feast and famine health care system where you generally haveunlimited health care at certain times and none at other times.

Democrats in the House and Senate are working on legislation that would require all Americans to have health insurance

how would this work with the unemployed and the homeless?

but because they would be paying a higher deductible from their own account, there would be a greater incentive to use medicine more sparingly and to emphasize prevention.
dubious

Wanna know what's wrong with the US health care system?

So, I was pretty sick and landed in the ER -->ICU, and spent 5 days at a hospital.

Some of the completely laughable bills.

A surgeon came to see me and literally talked to me for 2 min. All he said to me was "...if your first procedure doesn't work, I'll be yoursurgeon for the 2nd." That's it.
How much? 2 min.---> $385.
laugh.gif

I had a 15 min. procedure done (endoscopy) with what the anesthesiologist said was the one of lightest general anesthetics administered. 15 min and it wasdone.
I understand anesthesiology involves much risk and and their malpractice insurance is absurd but $2,800 for 15 min of administering a light anesthetic?
15 min. ---> $2,800.

I also have a suspicion about some of the supplies/procedures/etc. that they billed the insurance comp for. Suspicion = they were never done or are greatlyexaggerated.
laugh.gif

Seems more like fraud and extortion to me than medicine.
Of course the insurance companies don't pay them these absurd amounts but this is what's wrong with the US health care system.

Word, the money was better spent looking for WMD's in Iraq.

I remember the good old days when $600B seemed like a lot of money. Now, fast forward to a year later and every spending bill the congress/ president puts outis $600-700B. Why must I carry the burden for the people who have chosen to live an unhealthy lifestyle? Most diseases now days are self inflicted (obesity,diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) Why wouldn't the government give tax breaks to people who open a health savings account, or purchase their owninsurance? The answer... giving out money gets more votes than encouraging people to save their own.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Wanna know what's wrong with the US health care system?

So, I was pretty sick and landed in the ER -->ICU, and spent 5 days at a hospital.

Some of the completely laughable bills.

A surgeon came to see me and literally talked to me for 2 min. All he said to me was "...if your first procedure doesn't work, I'll be your surgeon for the 2nd." That's it.

How much? 2 min.---> $385.
laugh.gif

I had a 15 min. procedure done (endoscopy) with what the anesthesiologist said was the one of lightest general anesthetics administered. 15 min and it was done.

I understand anesthesiology involves much risk and and their malpractice insurance is absurd but $2,800 for 15 min of administering a light anesthetic?

15 min. ---> $2,800.

I also have a suspicion about some of the supplies/procedures/etc. that they billed the insurance comp for. Suspicion = they were never done or are greatly exaggerated.
laugh.gif

Seems more like fraud and extortion to me than medicine.

Of course the insurance companies don't pay them these absurd amounts but this is what's wrong with the US health care system.

Medical Bills are beyond ridiculous. I drove myself to the ER last time instead of calling an Ambulance because I couldn't afford it.

Back
Top Bottom