Help, how to dress to an interview that's going to be your career?

iloveshoes

Banned
So this thursday my ADN program is doing a mock interview.
We are required to dress as if we were going into a real interview, and are even going to be questioned by real recruiters.

So question, what's great to wear for an interview? Colors? Type of fitting slack? Striped, no striped tie? What kind of shoes? Socks?

Any help would be appreciated.  If you can suggest stores or websites that are reasonable in price that would be awesome sauce. I'm a poor college student as you guys may feel me on this one. 

Thank NT. 
pimp.gif

Suit, neutral shirt (white), solid tie, clean shoes, dress socks. If you are really on a budget just go to Kohls or JC Penny and get a suit.

I read somewhere the best colors to wear for dress shirts are grey, white, and blue. I would stick with a solid color tie. Dress shoes and socks are pretty self explanatory. Cheapest place you can get all this is your local Ross, Marshall, TJ Maxx.

Chopper suit and gators.

But for real; a navy blue suit, white shirt, a neutral colored tie, dress shoes, and dress socks that match the shoes. Like if the shoes are black, then dark navy blue socks or black.

Usually, black shoes/socks are the norm. A dark grey or black suit w/ a light solid dress shirt and a "not too complicated" tie will work.
IMO, the most important thing is to make sure your clothes are neatly pressed and that you are well groomed.

Thanks for the replies. I'll def check my local Ross, Marshalls, and Kohls.

I'll probably post pix see if you guys approve. NH.

I'm short too btw about 5 6"

Yeah, what was posted already makes sense. A black/dark suit, a nice solid tie, probably blue. Black shoes that aren't doing too much. OP do you feel comfortable wearing suits?

long sleeve dress shirt tucked in with a leather belt, khaki jeans and nice loafers. Everything aggressively taylored

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Yeah, what was posted already makes sense. A black/dark suit, a nice solid tie, probably blue. Black shoes that aren't doing too much. OP do you feel comfortable wearing suits?
Well, I've never worn a suit tbh. But i wouldn't mind it. 
Now that you guys have mentioned it, wearing a suit might not be a bad idea anyway. Going to need it for other occasions.

These Kohls combo suit + pants don't look too bad. Paying 110 for a suit decent?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/dressapparelmen/suitseparates/slimfit.jsp

Just to add to it, I have always chosen to wear a power tie to my interviews.  This adds color to your wardrobe and helps you stick out from the crowd since everyone else will likely be wearing a navy or red tie.  TJ Maxx is by far the best place to find nice ties for a great price.  Make sure not to get one of those skinny ties either since a bigger knot implies more authority and confidence.

For shoes, go to Nordstrom Rack.  A solid pair of black shoes should not cost you more than $50.

If there is a garment district in your area, try to go there since you can get a good suit for under $200.  And make sure to try and have it tailored.  Nothing looks worse than a suit that doesn't fit and just hangs off your body.

Originally Posted by FourReal

20855.jpg

and say this exactly
"im all about the $$$"
you will land any job

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Stupid as hell but made me laugh anyway.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Chopper suit and gators.

But for real; a navy blue suit, white shirt, a neutral colored tie, dress shoes, and dress socks that match the shoes. Like if the shoes are black, then dark navy blue socks or black.

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

long sleeve dress shirt tucked in with a leather belt, khaki jeans and nice loafers. Everything aggressively taylored
No.

But what has been said so far is good advice. The biggest problem is that you won't have time to make alterations by Thursday so try to get the best possible suit that fits well OFF THE RACK. All suits need alterations but time is not on your side in this situation. Also, check out the "Dressing Better" thread for ideas. Let us know how it goes OP.

Back
Top Bottom