Help planning Vacation in/around LA

Wassup NT, I'm planning a vacation in mid July. I'll be flying into LAX. Some Must do's include disney, a nice beach, Flight Club and other sneakerspots, check out the night life, chill and
pimp.gif
. Anybody have any advice asfar as places to stay, other must do's, etc etc? Any help is appreciated!

TIA.

-from the city of WIND

How long are you going to be here? The problem with visiting LA (or the greater LA area, or socal, or whatever you want to call it) is that everything isspread out. To give you an idea of what youre looking at...

You fly into LAX which is a good 20 minutes ATLEAST with zero traffic to downtown (theres always traffic so expect atleast 45min). Not like theres much goingon in downtown anyways, but just to give you an idea. So lets say you make downtown your homebase, if you want to hit Hollywood nightlife its not too bad,maybe a 10 minute drive with no traffic (but again... theres always traffic). Disneyland will take you maybe 30 minutes from downtown (90 minutes if youre inrush hour traffic). A nice beach... depends on what you consider nice. I live right by Santa Monica and I would never go in the water there. I prefer to godown to Orange County (Corona Del Mar, Huntington, etc..) If you wanted to get to one of these beaches it is easily a solid 45min-1hr from downtown. Sneakerspots are kinda spread all over. If you wanted to get to Melrose/Fairfax area its probably 15 min atleast from downtown. Proper in LB is probably closer to25-30min away. If theres a fair amount of traffic (chances are there will be) go ahead and multiply my time estimates by 2 or 2.5.

As far as must see places... being a socal native born and raised, I cant really think of that many "must see" places. Disneyland is cool if you havea family and small kids, or even if you dont its not bad. A lot of tourists tend to flock towards Hollywood, but only after getting there do they realize thatis a friggin dump, not anything like what TV makes it out to be. Beverly Hills is cool for shopping if you have a bottomless coffer of disposable income. Iguess it depends on what you're looking for.

Personally when I visit new cities I really enjoy trying out good restaurants or food which I wouldnt be able to get back home. There are a ton of reallyreally good restaurants out here if youre into that kind of stuff. For instance, if youre a big sushi person, LA has some of the top sushi restaurants, stuffyou might not be able to find in a less metropolitan area.

Mojodmonky1 - Thanks!! It's really good stuffto know. You think staying somewhere outside Downtown LA would be a better option? Can you gave me any insight to the night scene? clubs/bars? I'm not sointerested in the tourist scene (besides Disney). I've had some of the great Cali food (In-N-Out, Carl's Jr., Goldilocks) Any other restaurants yourecommend would be cool too. Always wanted to try some good fish tacos.
happy.gif

Any word on a "classy" gentlemen's club?
laugh.gif

Anything going on July 16-22??

-from the city of WIND

Hmmm fish tacos...

Drawing blanks on a "must have" fish taco, but that only because i love all mexican food good or bad.

Depends on what area you end up in. I dont want to send you on a wild goose chase (especially with gas prices these days) to get a sandwich or a burrito. Letme know what general area you are staying in and I can draw up a handful of joints you *!++ hit up.

As far as "classy" gentlemans clubs... again... others on the board might be able to get you better info. Generally I abide by a "not in mybackyard" policy. Vegas is where I do most of my gentlemans club attendance. I guess it depends on what you consider classy. I went to a strip club in St.Louis once when I was on a business trip (i believe it was actually across the border in IL) and that joint was seedier than any other strip club i couldimagine (but boy did the dollar stretch far there).

It's been awhile since I've gone, atleast 5+ years, but Spearmint Rhino in the City of Industry was top notch. Most recently (in the last 12-18 months)I've only been to Spearmint Rhino downtown LA and I would rate it a C+ at best. The talent was so-so, wasnt that crowded when I went, but the girls didntseem that uptight. I mean, I'm no connosieur by any means, but its better than average, but not on the level of a Sapphires in Vegas. If its any indicationof "classy" the night I was there, Jim Hill, a sportscaster on the local CBS affiilliate out here, was there making it rain (literally). Ive heard heis a regular at a buncha the local clubs.

Ive heard that Spearmint Rhino in Industry still goes off, so I would recommend you go there. Some of my buddies go to 4Play in West LA (near Santa Monica,Westwood area) and theyve run into Roni Turiaf there on occassion (also Jim Hill there too). If its good enough for a Laker, its good enough for me.

Theres another spot right near 4Play that is pretty classy but its bikini top/alcohol served. Not even topless is pretty much a waste of money if you ask me.

Is there much to do in universal City besides Universal Studios and City Walk? Any other ideas for spending a Thursday night? My hotel is in Beverly Hills ifthat matters.

TIA!

hahahaha im probably the wrong person to ask, as i am a pretty boring. Thursday nights for me, I usually just drink (but that can be done anywhere). If youreon this side of town (BH, West Hollywood, West LA, and even Santa Monica) you can hit up any number of decent bars. Theres a hotel bar right by my work inCentury City at the Century Plaza Hotel thats supposed to be pretty nice. If you make it further west into W. LA or Santa Monica there are several typicalspots with varying crowds (mostly younger white professionals or hipster types) like a Cabo Cantina near Brentwood. Not that Im saying the X Bar at the CenturyPlaza and Cabo are the same (X Bar from what I heard is more classy upscale, Cabo is a more down and dirty drinkin establishment). If you want to head Eastinto West Hollywood it is more gay and lesbian dominated. If that aint your dig, then steer clear but if you dont mind that crowd and vibe then go for it. Ipersonally really like the Abbey in West Hollywood, for a bar/club it has a great setup, plenty of space, pretty decent vibe, but it is a gay bar. So again, ifyoure homophobic I would stay away, but if youre not, might be worth checkin out. Ive been there with dudes and guys, straight and gay, and always had a goodtime.

Universal City... citywalk is really it. I havent been down to citywalk since like 2003 so I cant really speak on that.

Back
Top Bottom