Help with buying laptop

Is this a good buy?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What will it be used for?

Seems a bit on the steep end for a 15.6" laptop but then again the specs are pretty good. If you can wait another month so it. Laptops usually go on sale right before school so you can snag a pretty good deal then.

i'm in school right now. some basic graphic design/photo editing, might cop minecraft, word processing, HD video playing.

good to know. i got an xbox already, but never hurts to have a second one.

i just might wait on it tho.

good to know. i got an xbox already, but never hurts to have a second one.
i just might wait on it tho.

true windows 8 release is around the corner and the trackpads on the laptops that use windows must be "certified for windows 8"

This is a really good deal, I'd recommend you hop on it ASAP.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/772...gb-ssd-intel-hd-3000-hdmi-bt-6cell-win-7-prem

Samsung Series 9 900X3B-A02 Laptop: Core i5-2467M 1.60GHz, 13.3" LED (1600x900), 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, Intel HD 3000, HDMI, BT, 6-Cell, Win 7 Prem $800 + Free shipping
Microsoft Store Coupons & Deals Buy Now ►
Microsoft Store has Samsung Series 9 900X3B-A02 Laptop for $1299 - $500 w/ promo code SUMMERPC2 = $799 with free shipping. Thanks eryeal

Specs:

Intel Core i5-2467M 1.60 GHz Processor
13.3" LED backlit (1600x900)
4GB DDR3 Memory
128GB SSD
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
HDMI & USB 2.0
6-Cell Battery
Webcam
Bluetooth
WiFi-N
Win 7 Home Premium

Since you're in college I would recommend getting a 12-14" laptop with a 22-24" external display & keyboard/mouse for your dorm room. The extra 1-2 pounds of a 15" will be noticeable over time and it will be easier to carry your books around with a smaller laptop too.

You'll likely replace your laptop around your senior year too so don't worry about getting the latest and greatest. There are plenty of good laptops in the $5-600 range that should serve your purposes just fine.

^^ This
After owning a Lenovo Thinkpad I'm never switching to a different brand. Quality is top notch :smokin

Lenovo Thinkpad all the way. It might look like a laptop from the early 90's (they haven't changed the design). But these things are built like tanks and I don't plan to ever get a different model computer ever again.

I love Thinkpads too, got a T60P sitting next to me that is a tank. However, the Series 9 that I posted is better spec-wise and has a gorgeous screen, amazing build quality, and is thinner and lighter than the Macbook Air. It's a great buy.

Since you're in college I would recommend getting a 12-14" laptop with a 22-24" external display & keyboard/mouse for your dorm room. The extra 1-2 pounds of a 15" will be noticeable over time and it will be easier to carry your books around with a smaller laptop too.

You'll likely replace your laptop around your senior year too so don't worry about getting the latest and greatest. There are plenty of good laptops in the $5-600 range that should serve your purposes just fine.

I'm a junior right now. got the external display so I do my work on that when I come home. I've got a laptop right now but it's bulky (works fine) and the wife needs a new computer after her Samsung computer crapped out after a year and half.

Definitely thinking Ultrabook and then building a tower for my media needs.

Current setup is a Vaio and it's been good to me. Sounds like Lenovo, Samsung, and Sony are the brands to look at, yeah?

I'm a junior right now. got the external display so I do my work on that when I come home. I've got a laptop right now but it's bulky (works fine) and the wife needs a new computer after her Samsung computer crapped out after a year and half.
Definitely thinking Ultrabook and then building a tower for my media needs.
Current setup is a Vaio and it's been good to me. Sounds like Lenovo, Samsung, and Sony are the brands to look at, yeah?

Lenovo for sure. Samsung seems ok. Sony is good, but overpriced so that equates to being just ok.

Lenovo for sure. Samsung seems ok. Sony is good, but overpriced so that equates to being just ok.

I peeped their website and the reviews on their ultrabooks don't look great. plus resolution on screens are at 1366x768 :x

I peeped their website and the reviews on their ultrabooks don't look great. plus resolution on screens are at 1366x768 :x

Well I thought you want a laptop for general purpose. Aside from the Thinkpads, I don't think the rest of Lenovo's products are nearly as great, probably still good though. I'm not an expert on resolution, so you might want to check out the res on the new Thinkpads. I doubt it will be very impressive though. Macbook might be your best bet if that's what's important to you.

Last edited:
i'm all but decided on not going MBP.

I guess I'd like a 1600X900 screen. Samsung got that right? Their Series 9 is pretty piff :pimp:

i'm all but decided on not going MBP.
I guess I'd like a 1600X900 screen. Samsung got that right? Their Series 9 is pretty piff :pimp:
Yeah, it's got it. The trackpad/keyboard is nice too, but not on Apple's level just yet. Might want to consider a MBA, as that's basically the best ultrabook out, but the Series 9 has it's advantages.

lenovo :pimp:hat

had this one for about 4yrs now...and still has no major problems encountered (i.e. hardware, software reinstall)

and

Lenovo ThinkPad is the only laptop certified for space flight by NASA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom