Help With My First Apartment

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Make sure you have renters insurance.
This helped me out big time for my second apartment. It payed for the last 4 months of my rent when I lost my job.

Keep your spot clean too so when you move out you'll get as much of your security deposit back that you can without them taking money out to "repaint" or clean stains out. Also mark down everything that is wrong too before moving in. Everything. If you don't they'll say you did it.

Don't go overboard and think you need to spend hella money furnishing the place. Set a budget and buy a little at a time.

Before you sign the lease read it over. Look at what the terms are- when rent is due (1st of the month? by the 5th?), late payment penalties, security deposits, and if you can break it. I'm buying a house right now and kicking myself; I've lived in 3 different places and the current spot doesn't break leases for buying a house. See if you can talk to a resident too and ask if they're rent has gone up and how often. One place I lived at started $700 and jacked it up to damn near $800 after a year and a half.

I recommend 6 month leases. If the place is horrible, you're only there for 6 months. If it's chill after that just sign up for a 12 month.

Don't go overboard and think you need to spend hella money furnishing the place. Set a budget and buy a little at a time.

Before you sign the lease read it over. Look at what the terms are- when rent is due (1st of the month? by the 5th?), late payment penalties, security deposits, and if you can break it. I'm buying a house right now and kicking myself; I've lived in 3 different places and the current spot doesn't break leases for buying a house. See if you can talk to a resident too and ask if they're rent has gone up and how often. One place I lived at started $700 and jacked it up to damn near $800 after a year and a half.

I recommend 6 month leases. If the place is horrible, you're only there for 6 months. If it's chill after that just sign up for a 12 month.

choose your floor wisely. i moved from 3rd to 1st and couldn't be happier.

grocery shopping is easier, getting the mail isn't a pain in the rear, etc.

however, i hear thumps from the dickfaces above me on occasion.

one thing though : find out who does maintenance, and GET IN GOOD WITH THE HEAD DUDE.

i saved hundreds, he scoped my old pad out before i moved and pointed some things out that coulda had me hoed. i bring a few cases of beer over to his spot every now & then, that's one working relationship you cultivate as much as possible.

choose your floor wisely. i moved from 3rd to 1st and couldn't be happier.

grocery shopping is easier, getting the mail isn't a pain in the rear, etc.

however, i hear thumps from the dickfaces above me on occasion.

one thing though : find out who does maintenance, and GET IN GOOD WITH THE HEAD DUDE.

i saved hundreds, he scoped my old pad out before i moved and pointed some things out that coulda had me hoed. i bring a few cases of beer over to his spot every now & then, that's one working relationship you cultivate as much as possible.

Moving into my own spot at the end of the month, can't wait
pimp.gif

Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Make sure your landlord signs a contract listing all the documented imperfections that were there on your arrival. Pictures are great, but just them alone could lead to a really annoying argument.

Make sure your landlord signs a contract listing all the documented imperfections that were there on your arrival. Pictures are great, but just them alone could lead to a really annoying argument.

Back
Top Bottom