Highly Touted Female Baskteball Star Shot & Killed In New York

Did a search and didn't see it, mods delete if already posted.

Real sad, she was pleading for her life and the gunman thought she was someone else (a boy)?
tired.gif

A highly touted girl's prep basketball player was shot to death in a New York apartment building early Sunday morning.

Tayshana Murphy, 18, was shot in the head by a gunman in a hallway of her home, a housing project in Harlem's Morningside Heights neighborhood.

According to media reports, Murphy, a senior at Murry Bergtraum High School who previously attended Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School, may have been the victim of mistaken identity.

"It's very devastating, it's something you never want to deal with," said Murphy's Murry Bergtraum coach, Ed Grezinsky. "You deal with all kinds of things and adversity as a coach, injuries and all kinds of family issues, but something like this is beyond comprehension.

"Somebody that is young like that and has everything to live for and has everything in front of her, she was very much looking forward to this season. She had (torn) her ACL last year and I spoke to her last week and I said 'Are you ready for this season?' and she said 'I can't wait.' "

There were no arrests and the shooting remained under investigation, according to media reports.

Witnesses told the New York Daily News that Murphy, who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, was mistaken for a boy who had gotten in a fight with men from a nearby housing project.

"She was pleading for her life," her friend Teka Taylor, 22, who was with her at the time, told the Daily News. "She was saying 'No, please, I don't have nothing to do with it.' "

Former Murry teammate Shaniqua Reese said her "heart dropped" when she heard the news.

"Tears came to my eyes. I couldn't believe it. I just spoke to Chicken at the end of August and she was telling me she might (go) to the University of Miami and that she wishes the best for me and she wants the best for me at Temple and she was wishing me all the best," Reese said. "I told her to make sure she did what she had to do in class this year to make sure she's eligible for college because school comes first."

Murphy, who was rated the class of 2012's No. 16 point guard by ESPN.com's HoopGurlz recruiting site, was cited as one of the top girl's basketball prospects in the city by the Daily News. She had drawn interest from several colleges, her family said.

"She said 'Mom I'm going to get you out of the projects,' " her mother, Tephanie Holston, said, according to the Daily News. "She loved basketball, she lived and breathed basketball."

ESPNNewYork.com's Matt Ehalt contributed to this report.

damn thats crazy. i googled her picture and she looks nothing like a boy. when dude heard her speak and saw her...he shouldve known. smh. my prayers to the family and teammates.

Damn that's cold blooded...I pray authorities catch this sucka that killed her! Guns is poison in the black community!

Oh man. RIP. No doubt that Lady Blazers are gonna win a title for her. It's hard to believe. I mean I graduated MBHS. Just wow.

Originally Posted by AB Doom

Damn that's cold blooded...I pray authorities catch this sucka that killed her! Guns is poison in the black community!

i feel you but its not the guns. its the ignorant and senseless people that are getting a hold of them.

guns dont kill people...people kill people.

Aww man, I remember reading about her a while back in the Daily News. Shorty was from Queensbridge I think. Damn.
30t6p3b.gif

R.I.P.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Originally Posted by AB Doom

i feel you but its not the guns. its the ignorant and senseless people that are getting a hold of them.

guns dont kill people...people kill people.
Man, I disagree with that statement. If you don't have the guns, you won't have the murders. Period.

Not as many at least.

30t6p3b.gif
Awful story....a girl w. a ton of promise who has her life cut short by someone w. no regard for human life. And as contradictory as my next statement may be, as soon as they catch this SOB, give this person the death penalty. I'm ALL for higher taxes if it means getting these %@%*!*+# off the street and off this earth. $%%# rehabilitation in the prison system. They need to die.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

I hate this damn senseless ^@% violence.

and the @*++ goes on and on...I wish all the fools in the cities would just meet up in a warehouse and dust each other off...innocent ppl should not have to die in this manner

RIP. Man this is soo sad. What's up with all the run violence in NYC these last 2 weeks. Bloomberg's going to be sending out storm troopers & clear out the streets in a minute. I'm starting to think all cities need to have curfews especially for minors.

RIP, once I read basketball star, said to myself she goes to MBHS... I graduated from there as well

Crazy.
30t6p3b.gif
She had no business being out at 4 A.M., though. That still doesn't justify this senseless crime.

An update, cops have named 2 suspects while a 3rd was arrested.
Cops today named two suspects in the chilling slaying of beloved Harlem high-school hoops star Tayshana “Chicken

smh, this happened in the grant houses, 2 blocks away from where i stay when im in ny. i got off the train on 125th around 5am !@% to go home early sunday morning and when i was walkin up broadway it was cops everywhere and police tape everywhere. senseless killings like this make me sick though, this girl was chillin sat night like everythings normal then is gone a few hours later over something petty and unncessary, it's just sad that stuff like that happens regularly.

Back
Top Bottom