Highway Miles vs. City Miles... Huge difference?

2004 Acura TSX173k highway miles1 ownerdrove 200 miles a day commuting to and from NYC Interior is in perfect conditionAll maitenance recordsRides smooothShould I take a chance on it for 6k? How hard are highway miles on a car aposed to city driving?Any input is appreciated. Thank you

On the real. A car with 150000 hard city miles would be almost 250000 highway miles when you factor in how much accelerating and stopping . It's a lot more stress on the car bro.

take "highway miles" with a grain of salt. Buy the car based on the condition. Everyone puts highway miles as there is no way to verify if that is true or not. Personally I wouldnt purchase any 150+ mileage city vehicle.. especially not at 6k

Originally Posted by Phen0m

take "highway miles" with a grain of salt. Buy the car based on the condition. Everyone puts highway miles as there is no way to verify if that is true or not. Personally I wouldnt purchase any 150+ 100+mileage vehicle.. especially not at 6k

Originally Posted by Based Mod

take "highway miles" with a grain of salt. Buy the car based on the condition. Everyone puts highway miles as there is no way to verify if that is true or not. Personally I wouldnt purchase any 150+ 100+mileage vehicle.. especially not at 6k
unless its a 1 owner vehicle, with all documented history and only a few years old. Then I'd know for sure it's highway miles.

OP thats not a bad price, if its one owner an they got all the paperwork go for it

what are the known issues with tsx of that year just look that up an you good imo

Normally I wouldnt even consider a car with that many miles, but it runs smooth and is in pretty much perfect condition. It doesnt even look like anyone ever sat in any seat other than the drivers seat. I just wanted some input

City miles are a lot harder on the engine and transmission than highway miles.
However, any vehicle with 150,000 miles is a serious gamble, especially for 6k.

Not judging you op.. but I used to buy/sell cars partime and have a few friends who still do the manheim auctions often etc etc..(for reference purposes). You will regret spending 6k on that vehicle. I guarantee you. Please shop around first. TSX @ 6k and 170k miles is not stretching your dollar.

Not judging you op.. but I used to buy/sell cars partime and have a few friends who still do the manheim auctions often etc etc..(for reference purposes). You will regret spending 6k on that vehicle. I guarantee you. Please shop around first. TSX @ 6k and 170k miles is not stretching your dollar.

what price do you think that car should be then?
an 04 lex with that same miles would go for the same

Thats why I wanted to ask. Im not in a rush to buy a car. My thinking was if I can spend 3-4k less(because I want this car and most with reasonable miles are going for around 10k) and the difference between the wear and tear not be as much because they are highwqy miles, I will do so.

I mean the price is what is. All I said was shop around first so that he doesnt jump at the first nice car he sees.. That practice will usually yield a level of regret very quickly. Also seldem is a used car as pristine as presented. Lastly Highway miles arent hwy if they were commuting into the city lol.

I mean the price is what is. All I said was shop around first so that he doesnt jump at the first nice car he sees.. That practice will usually yield a level of regret very quickly. Also seldem is a used car as pristine as presented. Lastly Highway miles arent hwy if they were commuting into the city lol.

So what would be a price worth taking a chance on... if any?

If you got 6K saved up, stop looking at tsx's and Lexus. Yes theyre good cars but not for 6K. Instead lease a Ford a focus. 150$ payments. Give or take you have almost 3 years paid off already on the lease. And you can bet that car won't break down easily... And if it does the dealer gots you covered. Look into it

Originally Posted by swishasweets

If you got 6K saved up, stop looking at tsx's and Lexus. Yes theyre good cars but not for 6K. Instead lease a Ford a focus. 150$ payments. Give or take you have almost 3 years paid off already on the lease. And you can bet that car won't break down easily... And if it does the dealer gots you covered. Look into it

I have 10k for a car. I want the TSX. My intital inquiry was if it was worth it to spend 6k on a car with mostly highway miles, or to spend 10k on the same car with around 100k on it.

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

So what would be a price worth taking a chance on... if any?
As someone mentioned, the price is actually a good price for the vehicle youre looking at.  Compare it to: http://www.searchtempest.com/result...category=8&subcat=cta&minAsk=1000&maxAsk=8000  & http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/3121148178.html 
  But what I was saying was that imo, you should pause, and ensure this vehicle/model is one that you have to have, and one that you have to have in that price range, and mileage.  Obviously the mileage is always the control data, so that will almost always be the variable that moves the cost needle.  

If you are comfortable with the price, and the vehicles condition/fomer owner(id still do a carfax, if not a ppi), but other than that.  I say go for it.  If the other models youre searching for are in the 10k range, with 70k less miles.. thats a big difference mileagewise, and costwise.  But at 170k, much of the needed maintenance at 100/150k, should have already been done.  If not.. you may have to ask why they are getting rid of it.  Just do your homework and make an informed decision. 

Mileage isnt usually a huge factor on used cars.. its moreso how they were previously maintained.

If he has all the records and they match up with scheduled maintenance what's the harm? that car is good to go if it looks and rides smooth. Just know that timing belt is right around the corner, along with a possible water pump and hoses...

This dude is really talking about purchasing a used Acura w/ 173K miles
eek.gif

anyone selling a car with high miles will say they're "highway miles". see the overall condition of the car not just the miles.

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

I have 10k for a car. I want the TSX. My intital inquiry was if it was worth it to spend 6k on a car with mostly highway miles, or to spend 10k on the same car with around 100k on it.

I see. Well with 10K you can probably lease a 2012 TSX or almost any brand new car.

Why not just pay cash for a used Focus that's 4-5 years old? When you lease your payments are only going towards the depreciation of the car during the lease term, not any actual purchase of the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom