Hip Hop albums that you were surprised you liked?

I'm far from a "backpack" type dude (whatever that means), but so far this year, the only album I have really liked is El-P's "I'llSleep When You're Dead". Which surprised me, FunCrusher Plus was a banger back in the day, but I usually overlook albums like this for one reason oranother.
This joint was more difficult to break down than any Wu Tang album. It is dense musically & puts you off at first. Once I did though, I started to see thevision dude had for it. I think this album is........... I don't even know what to call it.
What is an album (doesn't have to be recent) that you were surprised you liked??????????

I never thought I'd like anything by Little Brother, but I like all their albums.

Biz Markie's I Need A Haircut - I just thought dude was always on that funny rap issh but he should be taken as a more serious rapper for what its worth.Was gonna make an appreciaton thread for it too especially the song I Told You. This album is really good to me.

Dipset's Diplomatic Immunity - I never was ridin with the whole movement when most of their albums came out. I only kinda liked Cam's music(thought hefell off hard) I just ignored em for their whole run. then when I gave it a listen I saw that not only Cam but the other members were better than I thought.

Freeway's Philadelphia Freeway - I thought dude was a joke with his rap voice and I just thought he'd be nothin more than a dude you throw on a clubsong or just some generic hype joint. I thought Dame was buggin with all these Philly dudes signed to the ROC and they just didnt impress(Beans excluded) ThenI heard this part is credit given to Just but Free really showed he's a deeper artist with actual skill. This album is better than you think it is.

Other than that dudes I aint sure about dont have albums and everything else in my library is music I automatically loved. Oh and every dude I thought wastrash turned their album(s) were.

smokin.gif

lb.jpg

this is the first time i have heard from them. ive never heard of them before this album came out. when i bought it i bumped it non stop.
pimp.gif

thug motivation 101 - i had no expectations for this album (or young jeezy for that matter) but i still bang this album.

Freeway's Philadelphia Freeway - I thought dude was a joke with his rap voice and I just thought he'd be nothin more than a dude you throw on a club song or just some generic hype joint. I thought Dame was buggin with all these Philly dudes signed to the ROC and they just didnt impress(Beans excluded) Then I heard this part is credit given to Just but Free really showed he's a deeper artist with actual skill. This album is better than you think it is.
Took the words right out of my mouth, in my honest opinion this album is a classic, and as whole it's probably my favorite body or work byJust
right behind the Blueprint.

I never thought I would like Reflection Eternal, before it came out and I watched the video for Move Somethin' I thought this was gonna be
another throw away album, not it's in my top 5.

I appreciate the responses, but yall dudes are playing it safe. A mainstream artist that had a better album than expected is the easy route. I picked a nerdrap album. Some way out type I SH. Again, I appreciate the responses, but I know yall got some hip hop skeletons in the closet.
Come on fellas.......................

Originally Posted by iLLscan

I appreciate the responses, but yall dudes are playing it safe. A mainstream artist that had a better album than expected is the easy route. I picked a nerd rap album. Some way out type I SH. Again, I appreciate the responses, but I know yall got some hip hop skeletons in the closet.
Come on fellas.......................

At the time it came out would you have considered Talib mainstream? unfortunately that's not the case anymore.
tired.gif

I guess one of the realest albums I've ever heard was Violent by Design by Jedi Mind Tricks. I mean that album is seriously amazing even though
I do not always agree with the anti-catholic statements that Vinnie Paz makes, I gave it a shot and it's
pimp.gif
alien.gif
pimp.gif

Another one was DangerDoom's album, my boy tried to put me up on Mf before and I thought he was trash but this album is nice.

i never thought in a million years i would like a album by these guys, this is one of the albums i thought was very good

61F8XRXX5XL._AA240_.jpg

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Daylight EP
Dipset's Diplomatic Immunity - I never was ridin with the whole movement when most of their albums came out. I only kinda liked Cam's music(thought he fell off hard) I just ignored em for their whole run. then when I gave it a listen I saw that not only Cam but the other members were better than I thought.
True story . . . Their movement was crazy at the time, I wasn't feeling their **$% at all, my homegirl who's sister was friends with JimJones let me hold her copy and I was still hating, but I burned a back uo copy . . . The one day it just clicked . . .

Lloyd Banks - Rotten Apple
This album recieves A LOT of hate, but IMO its a solid effort and I like it a lot more then his first joint

fruitsofnatureom5.png

The cover, along with the title, had me avoiding this album, but I heard good things about it, so I gave it a listen and it's actually a good/greatalbum all the way through.

The Musical: The Road To Fame by Baby Blue & Nutty P

The only artists I've heard to sample the OG Willy Wonka movie

this is the first time i have heard from them. ive never heard of them before this album came out. when i bought it i bumped it non stop.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
played it out so much i cant even play the cd no more

Back
Top Bottom