Hip-Hop/Rap Fans 25-30, Are You Turning Into Your Parents? Vol. Opinions

for discussion only

i'm 28 and most of my fav artists and music appreciation starts in the 90's. from the days when black movie soundtracks were actually good (juice,tresspass, etc), NY/Westcoast hip-hop was actually good music, and underground hip-hop was getting great recognition.

no matter my opinion on blueprint 3, i am overzealous to see the emcees who were great around my HS years still doing it. i can't get w/ the souljaboy's, dip sets, crunk, jerkin' club music that comes out these days. drake may be talented to some, but i think he's wack plain and simple. it's a blessing to see jay-z and raekwon still come w/ it AND be relevant at the same time. i can remember my father asking me to turn off jay-z'svol. 1 because it was 'trash music.' he'd preach to me about public enemy and run DMC, and i'd come back w/ that immature,not-knowing-%+@-about-the-music reply about them being old and outdated.

i understand where they're coming from now. this happening to any of you?

i guess respect to the new people carrying the torch but i still can't get w/ it.

it's the same reason '80s AJ retros still sell out - cats know the real

i remember mtv news saying 2 live crew was "like the partridge family" compared to the new group - the geto boys...

it's the same reason '80s AJ retros still sell out - cats know the real

true to a point. i just peeped that LL Cool J thread and i think he's right personally. knowing 'the real' though, i guess it goes straight onopinion. Cool James said music is supposed to evolve, but i'm not ready for it to
roll.gif
. i still get excited when even cappadonna comes out w/ an album, and he onlyhas ONE really good album (the pillage). cap's stuff has been trash lately, but i appreciate it because he's still keeping it alive.

the older heads aren't necessarily right. i do think my father is right because the dudes around his days were true the essence of the culture.

wayne is probably going to be one of the best to some. HELL NO for me when you compare him to KRS or rakim. i can't like someone who mumbles and whineson tracks. i'm not feelin' that. but again, it's my age and what i think hip-hop should be.

p.s. as for j's, i'm now realizing the quality of OG's and retro's
roll.gif
. i tried my best to defend quality since 2000 but i can't even lie it's going downhill. metaphor for hip-hop maybe?

good thread...i know i wont grow up to hate on the generation after mine cuz i grew up with people sittin there complainin about OLD>NEW on EVERYTHING...soi know thats not an issue for me....ima let them do them.

I've gotta be one of the older heads on this board and I was on that crotchety BS,
but I came to the realization, that I was missing out on a lot of good music
by dismissing the new generation.

Of course there's a lot more garbage out now, but that's only because there are a lot more
artist out now.� We can't act like we didn't come from the era that produced MC Hammer,
Vanilla Ice, Kris Kros, Another Bad Creation and so on...� Pop garbage exist in every era
and really, a lot of the blame for the awful music that's being produced now falls in lap
of the older generation not making sure that the culture didn't get watered down
when they were running to the record labels to get those checks and trying to sign/cosign
every homie they had that could rap. �

Even Pac is guilty with the signing of the OUTLAWZ.� No disrespect, but those #$!##$ sucked!
If Pac wasn't rapping with them, I'm sure they would've never gotten in.� My point?� Once the
precedent was set with all these imprints and crews, squads, etc., hip hop started to lose some
of its integrity and whored itself out to anyone with a mic and a sad story.� Now the game is
saturated to the point of stagnation (mostly) but there is still young talent out there.

As far as dipset, specifically, I saw what Cam'ron was doing with that, so I can't be mad.� He was
following that same blueprint that Pac laid and Master P perfected.� I realize that Pac wasn't the
first cat to have a crew of rapping lackeys, but he was the first one to do it to that degree.

I realize I'm rambling, so I'll wrap it up by saying that I'm glad that I opened my ears and
started giving these younger cats a listen.� Times change and if you don't change with them
you get left behind and forgotten about.

Not cosigning Soulja Boy, but Snoop says some real %%%$ here about hating on young cats.

NO....But most of my friends & people my age are.

I can appreciate todays artists as well as the past.

Not many people my age can even tolerate Kanye, wayne, drake etc....

They can't get past the BIG & PAC era.

It's funny cause I'm starting to feel the same way. Like as if I'm starting to turn into one the old heads that ain't down with what's new.I mean I feel a handfull of these new artist but it just isn't the same for me anymore. I don't think that drake, wale, or kid cudi are bad artist. ButI just can't get into their music. I simply just can't vibe to it. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be considered"ol'skoo".
laugh.gif

I like soul music. like common andre 3k, lupe, q tip, mos def. I just like soul beats. im more of an r & b head though, al green, teddy p, luther, levert,earth wind and fire. I just like to make sure the artist im listening to is talking about something important.

only time i listen to gucci and lil wayne and these other artists is in the club.

I just cant feel some of these new cats. I try to give them a chance, but some of them just suck real talk. Some are pretty dope tho. There was no way cats alil older than me were gonna say BIG, Nas, Jay, 'Kast, etc were not dope when I was comin up. They couldnt! Its all about the quality of the music, notthe age of the person who makes it.

I'm 23, and I'm just more inclined to having a more broader and open mind about the type of music I'm willing to listen to.

I'm a producer as well, and the more I've been producing, I found myself definitely reaching out to other genres of music that I probably wouldn'thave been interested in if it wasn't for me being a producer.

There's genres of music that's appropriate for certain moods or certain times in my life now, as opposed to just randomly listening to anything.

Some music I can take seriously and gain inspiration from, and others are just merely entertainment.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Pretty much sums it up for me. Sometimes I go out of my way to get my peoples to give some of these new cats a try. Almost had them sold on Lupetill he had that little ATCQ mishap
smh.gif

But real talk I think this era is different from back in the day. Back in the day, there was a lack of understanding. I think now it's moreso thatthere's a lot of bad music being put out. There shouldn't be any excuses made for this.

You won't catch me with some rapper avatar/icon on NT anymore though. Fact.
laugh.gif
not that it's a bad look for anybody.. not me though.

I can't really speak on turning into my parents cause I'm still a minor...but I will say that a lot of the music people my age like gets a lot ofunnecessary hate when it's just young people doing their thing, just like it's always been.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Pretty much sums it up for me. Sometimes I go out of my way to get my peoples to give some of these new cats a try. Almost had them sold on Lupe till he had that little ATCQ mishap
smh.gif

But real talk I think this era is different from back in the day. Back in the day, there was a lack of understanding. I think now it's moreso that there's a lot of bad music being put out. There shouldn't be any excuses made for this.

????
nerd.gif

I'm only 23 but I was raised on RTD, OB4CL and RD...

im sorta stubborn and more critical of new artists so if they remind me of the older era, i'll give em a pass.

I didnt think BP III as gonna be remotely decent but it turned out pretty well minus a few cuts...i think it'll be the prototype for newer artists

I was thinking about this the other day. All these kids who idolize Jeezy and Wayne are apart of the new generation. They weren't around when Illmatic orDoggystyle dropped. We can't expext them to have the same taste as us. So when I hear Wayne rap about being a blood and getting shot and these kids eat itup as the greatest ++#@ to ever come through a speaker I shrug it off...that's their generation.

Originally Posted by MrWavez

Pretty much sums it up for me. Sometimes I go out of my way to get my peoples to give some of these new cats a try. Almost had them sold on Lupe till he had that little ATCQ mishap
smh.gif

But real talk I think this era is different from back in the day. Back in the day, there was a lack of understanding. I think now it's moreso that there's a lot of bad music being put out. There shouldn't be any excuses made for this.

????
nerd.gif

He forgot the words to a ATCQ verse on VH1 Hip Hop Honors/Hall of Fame/whatever its called

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

smh.gif

????
nerd.gif

He forgot the words to a ATCQ verse on VH1 Hip Hop Honors/Hall of Fame/whatever its called

indifferent.gif
you serious???

somebody really gives a damn about that??

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

smh.gif

????
nerd.gif

indifferent.gif
you serious???

somebody really gives a damn about that??
[Gucci]that's petty[/Gucci]

Back
Top Bottom