Hip Hop really is DEAD

Me and a friend were just talking about what were the best times in HIP HOP, and he said the latter part of the 90s were the best time. We're kind of youngso we didn't experience the 80's Golden Age. But I was thinking about 95-2000 HIP HOP compared to what's out now and Hip Hop truly is dead.

Just think back to all the variety we had in the 90s. BET and MTV played more than reality shows, and made their bank of great music, not supermanin$%%+* andsnaping your index and thumb.

Just think about all the major hip hop labels and imprints that were bringing fire. Damn near everyone on Loud Records was going platinum. Mobb, Pun, etc.Terror Sqaud was actually dropping hot albums.Rawkus' underground scene was flirting with mainstream success. Death Row and the West Coast were throwingout classics. Bad Boy and the East Coast were throwing out classics. DEF JAM had the industry on lock, The Hard Knock Life tour...biggest Hip Hop tour. Hell,even DJ Clue went platinum. Meth, Red, DMX, Ja Rule, Jay-Z....etc. Outkast had the south on lock. The South was actually making good music back then. UGK,8ball and MJG were throwing out hood classics. Even the underground West Coast scene was poppin. We had all the variety in Hip Hop. It all sold well too. Noweven Jay-Z is struggling to go platinum and Nas has to name his album a racial epitaph to sell records. People like Lil Wayne are actually called good rappers.

HIP HOP is +*!%#@$ dead.
tired.gif

Jeez, this topic again?

Co-sign with outacontrol music, hiphop ain't dead IMO, it just evolves into different art forms.

Did you dig this thread up from December 2006? I could have sworn I saw this back then. Then I swore that we had decided that the phrase"Hip Hop IsDead" equivilent to "Bling-Bling" and that as real fans we'd stop co-signing it.

Go get Graduation, Buck The World, The Return of the Magnificent, Hi Teknology 2 and 3, Underground Kingz, Waitin to Inhale, The Moral Of the Story, Red GoneWild, Eardrum, and Finding Forever then go download MM3, and The Coolest Mixtape then AND ONLY THEN can you come back and try to support your opinion.

If you want good south music go get the DJ Drama Gangsta Grillz album.

HIP HOP is +*!%#@$ dead.

[Kanye]Stop it fam...[/Kanye]

hip hop is not dead and will never die. you need to stop lookin at the mainstream level and dig deeper below the surface.

lets just look at 2007 for example:
-ghostface dropped one of the strongest albums i ever heard
-wu tang reunited with a strong effort
-pharaoh monch dropped desire
eek.gif

-black milks album was dope as hell
-bishop lamont and black milk dropped a ill mixtape
-mick boogie and busta rhymes gave us the best mixtape ive ever heard
-brother ali dropped this year with a good album
-median from justus league blessed us with a great album
-finding forever was a strong album
-consequence: dont quit your day job
-we saw the return of jazzy jeff the magnificent
eek.gif

-k-os dropped a gem that went under the radar
-ruff draft was re released and stayed in heavy rotation since then
-kanye broke the chart records with a good album
-kweli finally dropped eardrum
-we cant forget the liberation album. that had me
eek.gif
eek.gif
until march
-madlib came with a dope!!$@ beat konducta album
-redman came back with red gone wild

thats just straight off the top of the head and i know i missed hella more. hip hop is faaaaaaar from dead. your problem is you judge the strength of an artform that has been underground since its birth by how well its doing on a mainstream/corporate level.
smh.gif

i hope the music biz really is cyclical because I feel like hip-hop today is a lot like hair metal of the 80s and thus I'm waiting for some grunge-likerevolution to come about.

Eh, I was on the same boat a while ago. Then I realized, there's always been wack MC's. Now, the wack MC's are famous for being wack MC's.I'm not really worried about, listening to Big Dough Rehab right now.

Go get Graduation, Buck The World, The Return of the Magnificent, Hi Teknology 2 and 3, Underground Kingz, Waitin to Inhale, The Moral Of the Story, Red Gone Wild, Eardrum, and Finding Forever then go download MM3, and The Coolest Mixtape then AND ONLY THEN can you come back and try to support your opinion.
That's nice. Should I really bring out the classic albums of the mid to late 90s? It's always something missing. It's not justmainstream. It's underground too. And its like the underground is separated between whites and blacks. The indie scene and mixtape scene. And the mixtapescene IS NOT poppin. I'm tired of this. Delete this post because I'm tired of this. Hip hop sucks. I'm not just talking about the mainstream.Graduation is NOT hot. Jay and Nas are dropping lackluster albums. Rhymespitters like Kiss are nowhere to be found. Interscope has Styles releasing slicedtogether material. My Philly dudes Beans and Freeway terribly dissapointed me after giving gems the last time out, respectively. Even Wu-Tang is droppin
sick.gif
material. What's going down? @%+* just sucks. Please....Change thispost...Give me something to listen to that will change my mind....

lets just look at 2007 for example:
-ghostface dropped one of the strongest albums i ever heard
-wu tang reunited with a strong effort
-pharaoh monch dropped desire
eek.gif

-black milks album was dope as hell
-bishop lamont and black milk dropped a ill mixtape
-mick boogie and busta rhymes gave us the best mixtape ive ever heard
-brother ali dropped this year with a good album
-median from justus league blessed us with a great album
-finding forever was a strong album
-consequence: dont quit your day job
-we saw the return of jazzy jeff the magnificent
eek.gif

-k-os dropped a gem that went under the radar
-ruff draft was re released and stayed in heavy rotation since then
-kanye broke the chart records with a good album
-kweli finally dropped eardrum
-we cant forget the liberation album. that had me
eek.gif
eek.gif
until march
-madlib came with a dope!!$@ beat konducta album
-redman came back with red gone wild
First let me say..Thank you for a start-up list because I had given up all hope. I'm going to check some these joints I haven't heard.Jazzy Jeff dropped an album?
ohwell.gif

Ok, to be fair..I haven't heard all these albums. That's part of the problem too. I got to go on treasure hunts for Hip Hop gems. What happened to thedays when these joints were just in my face. Maybe I'm lazy, but even Hip Hop promotion is wack. I'm truly a fan of the culture. The album art of the90s and all that use to inspire me. Nas' last cover look like one of y'all did the joint. The videos are wack! What happened to Hype Williams "ElGrande" stage type joints with beautiful cinematography? I really need to vent, because I'm feeling mad Nostalgic. I miss BET and the BOX. Yo MTV RAPSand Rap City when Joe Claire and Tigga had dudes rippin the booth. Or the rap show on MTV with Tek from the Real World. Now dudes wanna snap fingers and go ontreasure hunts. Yes...I'm MAD!

IMO it's a lot better than it was. Dudes are putting out more quality stuff, than they were in 2006. I was tired of hip hop until around the 3rd quarter of2007. Things seem to be looking up right now in hip hop, with the upcoming releases.

Why don't you go to a different genre since those are poppin' right? I mean seriously the 90's may have dropped the best music but it was adifferent era. You can't find music in 2007 because you chose not to. You're too focused on the 90's. I'm satisfied with Hip Hop. Sure thetrash gets exposed but I don't listen to the radio or watch BET so i'm not really seein' it anymore like I use to. You always have the option toturn+%!@ off and bump your 90's music.

I actually agree. As a whole &%*# just sucks right now. Piff albums used to come one after another without fail, from the east, west, midwest and south allat the same time. Now regions have to take turns being hot, WTF is that. Some ole' backwards segregation logic dudes are practicing right now. You knowits bad that in 07' people want to bring the 80's back.

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

I actually agree. As a whole &%*# just sucks right now. Piff albums used to come one after another without fail, from the east, west, midwest and south all at the same time. Now regions have to take turns being hot, WTF is that. Some ole' backwards segregation logic dudes are practicing right now.

Hardbody! Regionalism is so corny. I'm an East Coast dude through and through, but I use to rock Dogg Food like it was a Philly or NY album. Where isthe Mack 10 I remember? I didn't like his last album at all. These radio stations are only playing region specific music. Dudes on a certain coast aremissing out on gems. I would love to turn off the radio, and just go buy music...but that's killing rap music. The first rap song I heard was on the radio.I still remember taping songs from the radio to learn how to rap. Now I turn on the radio and some cat is telling me how his Phantom is so clean with no typeof lyrical ability."Black on Black Bentley/Call it Phantom of the Opera" I thought RR made Phantoms...
tired.gif

Why don't you go to a different genre since those are poppin' right?
Go to a different genre? I been listening to all genres of music since I was a kid, but Hip Hop is my first love. It's more than music. Ibumping all my 90s rap albums just trying to figure out when the game fell flat. I wan't that same heat to be relevant today. The nostalgic feeling isgreat, but is it too much to ask of rappers to put the same effort into today's contemporary rap? These cats wonder why there records don't sale.

Negro I AM hip hop and I'm still breathing....!+@+. And so are several other MCs who try to bring quality music to the table. Now I'm not asking foryour support or for sales. I don't even care for the fame. I just want the respect. It's time that cats like the poststarter started respecting theFACT that it's hungry@#%% MCs out there that ain't "dead" yet. And those that aren't the best are trying to be the best. We got that"Like Mic" shh real bad.

Don't be so naive... I turned off BET two years ago and hip-hop never felt more alive. Cats stay letting those top 10 lists fool them into thinking thatthe concentration of good music out there has fallen and it hasn't. It's only TV, don't believe everything the idiot box tells you to. Go FIND somereal music to listen to. As much work as some of us put into the stuff, you could at least look a little harder for it than turning on the TV guide channelright quick...damn.

Go to a different genre? I been listening to all genres of music since I was a kid, but Hip Hop is my first love. It's more than music. I bumping all my 90s rap albums just trying to figure out when the game fell flat. I wan't that same heat to be relevant today. The nostalgic feeling is great, but is it too much to ask of rappers to put the same effort into today's contemporary rap? These cats wonder why there records don't sale.

Well sales plays a part in what some feel is the downfall of Hip Hop. Hip Hop fans will go out and download a Lupe Fiasco album rather than buy it. This causesartists who don't have pop records on their album to end up not getting record deals because record labels no longer want to invest in an artist thatwon't sell. Artists like Soulja Boy will keep getting signed because his music is in demand according to record sales. Fans are the only ones to blame. Itmakes no different to me because the music is still out there. I'm a fan of both underground and commercial rap so i'm straight but for those that wanta more variety of hip hop on BET and radio you'll be waiting for the rest of your life. Internet piracy killed mainstream Hip Hop. Its at the point whereartists are happy to sell 300k. They might as well make the platinum and gold certifications 300k and 700k.

I swear this topic is always brought up in some shape or form. The prhase is now a fad its just somethin dudes say cuz they dont like a paticular music that isdominating the airwaves. Its funny cuz I was sayin it exactly when Bling Bling came out n got in endless arguments.

all I can say is its only dead from a mainstream view, unfortunately now you have to look harder and deeper for good hip hop. Godd hip hop no longer really hasa place in the forefront of the rap industry. It use to be about have a good album sell a lot of albums but now its more a focus on dances, catch phrases, andother crap that is more for the sake of money than the music. You just gotta deal with it I dont think it will ever change back to the way things use to be.

I suggest you listen to Little Brother's The Listening album especially the song

smokin.gif

I turned off BET two years ago and hip-hop never felt more alive

co-sign

and just pop in The Big Doe Rehab and you won't be saying all this Hip Hop is dead nonsense

and there are plenty more albums this year...Joell Ortiz was a heavy hitter for me. Gotta give props to Ghost, love it! Chamillionair, so-so underrated, ,loved his new album, one of the best this year if you ask em. Love his song topics, nice lyrics and great beats, very good and underrated album if you ask me.Cassidy ropped bar which wasnt bad. Bone Thugs dropped a pretty good album, although sócompared to them it aint a big deal. Cormegas, stuff is nice though. AndI think Jr writer and Scarface made pretty strong albums.

eventhough I agree with Hip-Hop being dead, the Hip Hop scene right now was better compared to 2005-2006.

I turned off BET two years ago and hip-hop never felt more alive
amen to that. i havent watched any music videos on BET (watched american gangster every now and then
laugh.gif
) since 2004 and i havent felt hip hop isdead. the little that does catch my ear because they play it at the club or i hear someone listening to it doesnt effect me because i dont hear it 24/7

i havent even heard the full soulja boy song. whenever a post pops up about how whack he is i stay out because i never even heard dudes song. all i ever hearis the chorus. believe me its not hard to avoid all the bullshhhh songs. just dont watch bet and turn off the radio. its not really that hard finding dopealbums in the world of internet either. i didnt even know who bishop lamont was until i picked up black milk's album earlier this year and saw somereferences to him on his myspace. you just have to know where to look. the difference between the 90's and now is we're in the internet age. it doesntmatter how much promotion an album gets because people are gonna d/l it anyways. only real fans of an artist is probably gonna buy it anyways and those peopleknow the release date anyways.

what is this dude talking about?

Killa Cam came back from hibernation and dropped the hardest album ever.

Public Enemy #1 > your favorite rappers best album.

worrrd.

Back
Top Bottom