Hip Hop really is DEAD

all I can say is its only dead from a mainstream view, unfortunately now you have to look harder and deeper for good hip hop. Godd hip hop no longer really has a place in the forefront of the rap industry. It use to be about have a good album sell a lot of albums but now its more a focus on dances, catch phrases, and other crap that is more for the sake of money than the music. You just gotta deal with it I dont think it will ever change back to the way things use to be.
was about to say the exact same thing.

I am honestly happy that we continue to receive opinions about how a person (or people) feel on the state of hip-hop.

I personally feel like the mainstream part of hip-hop should be more creative, im not saying everyone that is mainstream should be more creative but someartists just continue to try and follow another persons formula only to try and get a hit. Its not really a bad thing to the extreme however i feel that thereis a lack of creativeness.

The underground hip hop scene is crazy! Listening to artists that people consider to be in the underground category as well as mixtapes let me know that hiphop is still here in full effect. I just wish that everyone else could hear it all and look for it because it is still there. This year 07 was a great one, thething that gets me is that when you watch television you more than likely see the same set of artists on a countdown every single time in the same or close tothe same rotation. I agree with the 90s being my golden years, MTV was wonderful and BET gave more artists a chance for their material to be seen and for theartists voice to be heard regardless of how many records the artist had sold.

Even the commercials for the shoes were great, the promotion. Nike as well as other companies dont really promote like they did back then. I loved thecommercial promotion because when i wanted a specific shoe i would want them more just by seeing one of my favorite athletes in the commercial sporting a pair.Jordan, Penny, G.Hill, Iverson, GP, etc. These big companies dont really need to promote like they used to do however i would not mind seeing alot of greatcommercials again like i saw in the 90s and early 2000, even 01 wasnt bad.

I also had to let myself know that things do change, if everything was the same right now as it was in the nineties we all would probably be crying right nowfor a change to occur. That is how life goes, nothing really stays the same. Now everyone is trying their best to be a rapper, i love music but sometimes ifeel like its flooded. Since hip hop artists are not selling like they used to we need to come up with more creative ways to get the material out to the peoplethats all.

With all of that being said, i dont really think that hip hop is dead. I felt like that last year but this year i started to get into the mixtapes andpurchasing alot of the underground hip hop material like i used to do when i was back in high school and doing that let me know that hip hop still exists. Ihope that more artists begin to open their minds up with topics, its so many things that people can relate to instead of just expressing your opinion on aselect few.

One

Why when ppl use the statement that "Hip Hop is dead" is only rap that's being spoken about. Hip Hop is more than just rap. If you're goingto say the phrase, analize all 4 elements first.

Breaking - Dead
Graffitti - Been slowly dying since the nineties
DJ'ing - Dead
Rapping - On life support

As cliche and wack as I find that term.......I do beleive for the most part Hip Hop is dead.

^ how can any of things be dead. there will always be b-boys, graff writers and dj's

DJ'ing - Dead
How is DJ'ing dead they dont get the shine they use to in the golden age of hip hop but exactly how are they dead? Hiw has their role changedfrom the 90s to now for you to say its dead?

I already spoke my peace on this but I just dont understand how you can say its dead. Please elaborate

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Free The Chief

Negro I AM hip hop and I'm still breathing....

indifferent.gif

First off, I'm not your Negro. Watch that like that TV you watch....

Da Future Nike Rep-that was the realest post ever. Glad to see there are many different opinions on this issue. I have no qualms admitting that the wholemainstream just disgusted me that I ignored a large underground population. The only underground I've really been hearing are these average mixtaperappers. And I just wish everyone got the same shine they use to.

Originally Posted by xBuddha Blessx

DJ'ing - Dead
How is DJ'ing dead they dont get the shine they use to in the golden age of hip hop but exactly how are they dead? Hiw has their role changed from the 90s to now for you to say its dead?

I already spoke my peace on this but I just dont understand how you can say its dead. Please elaborate

smokin.gif

Dj'ing aint what it used to be. The computer age has brought forth the "digital dj". You no longer need skills that once were needed. You gotcomputers that do most of the work for you as long as you program it. You dont need much of an ear to catch a beat, you dont need to know how to scratch and aprogram can mix the songs for you. Basically anyone with a computer can be a dj or producer nowadays. Now dont get me wrong I'm all for advancements, butthis is actually hurting the artform by taking away what it was built on.

The new age DJ is more concerned with playing some new "exclusive" as opposed to actually having any skills. I mean look at what mixtapes havebecome. I'm sure this isnt what Kid Capri invisioned when he began making them.

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Originally Posted by xBuddha Blessx

DJ'ing - Dead
How is DJ'ing dead they dont get the shine they use to in the golden age of hip hop but exactly how are they dead? Hiw has their role changed from the 90s to now for you to say its dead?

smokin.gif

Dj'ing aint what it used to be. The computer age has brought forth the "digital dj". You no longer need skills that once were needed. You got computers that do most of the work for you as long as you program it. You dont need much of an ear to catch a beat, you dont need to know how to scratch and a program can mix the songs for you. Basically anyone with a computer can be a dj or producer nowadays. Now dont get me wrong I'm all for advancements, but this is actually hurting the artform by taking away what it was built on.

The new age DJ is more concerned with playing some new "exclusive" as opposed to actually having any skills. I mean look at what mixtapes have become. I'm sure this isnt what Kid Capri invisioned when he began making them.

True I've actually heard DJs complain about this on radio shows(Stretch & Bobbito). From that aspect you're right but that to me is just likethe rap part of hip hop being dead or almost dead. There are still DJs with skills doin it for the love and not on some get famous quick issh like the obviousones in the game today. For a min I thought you were on some otha steez cuz from what Ive seen the DJ has taken the back seat to the MC once the 90s hit butwhat you speak on is mos def a factor in the DJ game that a lot overlook, but yea for the most part you're right.

smokin.gif

I dunno, I cant take any serious talk about current hip hop from a dude who's sn is ROCKSTARGETMONEY. Hmmmm.

Hip Hop is NOT dead. Mainstream hip hop is hurting things. But I suggest you listen to underground stuff

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

I dunno, I cant take any serious talk about current hip hop from a dude who's sn is ROCKSTARGETMONEY. Hmmmm.

Hip Hop is NOT dead. Mainstream hip hop is hurting things. But I suggest you listen to underground stuff

Then get out of the conversation and don't take it seriously. You act like your opinion means %%#@ to me. Kick rocks...

One-Hundred...

Nas told me so it must be true

Honestly, I think this is the problem. The "hip hop is dead" sentiment has been around since the late 90's. And even earlier thanthat by a select few.
Since Nas' album dropped, it's just something to say when a record drops & you don't like it. Something for nerd rap dudes to say. And thatdoes get type annoying. However, this doesn't change the obvious decline in the overall quality of hip hop over thelast 7-8 years. Of course there will always be some good artists & albums produced. But the overall mind state inwhich people create nowadays is stale, watered down & only reminiscent of the real thing. When people say "hip hop is dead", they are saying thatnow making a quality, lyrical, stand the test of time type of album is to go against the grain. When in the past, that was the goal for most artists.
Listen & learn..............................

When it comes down to it, Hip Hop is not dead. In amainstream way, yea you can say that. As a whole, nah.

Then get out of the conversation and don't take it seriously. You act like your opinion means %%#@ to me. Kick rocks...
laugh.gif

So you don't like what he has to say, so you tell him to kick rocks.

Yet you got a whole first page sayin' to please keep that bull
f5235c65ebf573f38059f18252fd782f6562674.gif
inside your mouth, and you're still here.

Back
Top Bottom