Holy crap CA

We wildin' out here
eek.gif

THAT'S RIGHT ! FIGHT FOR YOUR EDUCATION!!!! They keep erasing my thread, 100- 125 people marched onto a freeway in Oakland and shut it down. One dude jumped off from the freeway and is in critical condition, and two buses are taking all these people to jail. They're marching to City Hall right now in Frisco. There's protesting everywhere through California, seems very united.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

THAT'S RIGHT ! FIGHT FOR YOUR EDUCATION!!!! They keep erasing my thread, 100- 125 people marched onto a freeway in Oakland and shut it down. One dude jumped off from the freeway and is in critical condition, and two buses are taking all these people to jail. They're marching to City Hall right now in Frisco. There's protesting everywhere through California, seems very united.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i'm impressed and inspired by this.. its about time we the people take a stand..

SANTA CRUZ — Students haveblocked both entrances to the UC Santa Cruz campus and began marchingnear the base of campus as the March 4 Day of Action began.

BERKELEY — About 80 studentsare blocking Sather Gate on campus, holding signs bearing slogansincluding "Instruction not Construction," "Spanish students for publiceducation," and "Reclaim our university."

DUBLIN — About 75 parents,students, teachers and administrations gathered outside Dublin HighSchool. Cars honked in support of protesters, who carried signs withmessages such as "Cuts hurt" and "More work, less pay."

DAVIS,Calif.—A confrontation between University of California, Davis studentsand local police has ended peacefully after a tense standoff thatlasted more than an hour.
UC Davis spokeswoman Claudia Morain saidthat after nearly 300 students threatened to block a freeway onramp,about 75 California Highway Patrol and local law enforcement personnelarrived at the scene.

One female student was arrested, and theCHP fired a pepper-spray projectile into the crowd, Morain said. Therewere no reported injuries.

The students had been taking part in a nationwide day of demonstrations to protest cuts to public education funding.

Great job, California. Lookin united in your fights
glasses.gif
Hope the protests do some good.

I support their reasons
smokin.gif

BUT I feel no remorse for the person who jumped. Come on , like you think you're REALLY going to be able to dodge the cops from jumping off the freeway? And STILL be able to run off? Should've just asked the officer for a pen so they could write their own citation
smh.gif

[h1]Protests over education cutbacks snarl traffic, lead to arrests [/h1]
March 4, 2010 9:13 p.m. EST

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: In Oakland, California, police reportedly arrest more than 100 protesters who shut down freeway
  • At least 15 reportedly arrested in University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee demonstrations
  • Critics say cutbacks will raise tuition, make higher education unobtainable to many
  • Budget cuts have resulted in canceled classes, longer class waiting lists in California

(CNN)-- A California movement protesting $1 billion in budget cuts to thestate's university system appeared to have burgeoned into a nationwidedemonstration on Thursday.

Students and professors in dozens ofstates were challenging administrators and state lawmakers over budgetcuts and tuition increases that they say are reducing students' classoptions and increasing their expenses.

Some of thedemonstrations turned chaotic. In Oakland, California, police arrestedbetween 100 and 120 protesters who shut down a major freeway, CNNaffiliate KGO in San Francisco reported.

The protesters brokeoff from a march to Oakland City Hall and wound up at the Interstate980/880 interchange, bringing Thursday evening rush hour traffic to ahalt.

KCRA: Protesters threaten to block interstate

Atthe University of California Davis, police held back student protesterswho had threatened to shut down nearby Interstate 80, CNN affiliateKCRA in Sacramento reported.

Police fired rubber bullets intothe ground in an effort to deter students, who made it as far as anI-80 exit ramp just south of campus.

At the University ofWisconsin-Milwaukee, at least 15 people were arrested in demonstrationsThursday, according to CNN affiliate WTMJ.

A University ofWisconsin-Milwaukee vice chancellor allowed a protester to drop offpamphlets in the chancellor's office, then called campus police whendozens of protesters tried to enter the building, according to WTMJ.

bttn_close.gif

wisconsin.student.disturbance.wtmj.640x480.jpg

wisconsin.student.disturbance.wtmj.640x480.jpg
Video: Student protesters in handcuffs

bttn_close.gif

lok.wian.ucla.tuition.cnn.576x324.jpg

lok.wian.ucla.tuition.cnn.576x324.jpg
Video: UCLA students fight tuition hikes

bttn_close.gif

elam.rising.tuition.costs.cnn.640x360.jpg

elam.rising.tuition.costs.cnn.640x360.jpg
Video: Protesting over tuition hikes

bttn_close.gif

stacks.education.protests.gi.jpg

stacks.education.protests.gi.jpg
Gallery: Protesting education cutbacks

RELATED TOPICS

University police called the Milwaukee Police Department for backup, and officers spent an hour rounding up protesters.

Students yelled "Let her go!" and "What did he do?" as Milwaukee police led students into their black and white vans.

Acrossthe country, students told of having to work second jobs and makelifestyle adjustments in the face of dramatic tuition hikes.

"Iwork at two jobs, go to school full time to make ends meet," saidTyler, a fifth-year senior at San Francisco State University, wherestudents and faculty protested Thursday. She did not give her last name.

"Ihave been here a really long time. I struggle to keep [taking] classesto be able to keep my financial aid every semester, and I really don'tknow when I'm going to be able to get out of here. Every semester,something is cut, and I can't get the class I need. Who knows when Iwill be out of here," she said.

Many of Thursday'sdemonstrations focused on cuts to state-funded colleges anduniversities, which supporters say drive up tuition, limit classes andmake higher educationunobtainable to many. A blog called Student Activism, which wascompiling a list of the protests, said that 122 events were scheduledin 33 states -- most on campuses, and some at state capitols.

Are you taking part in protests? Send photos, videos

Professorsand students say dissatisfaction, anger and an uncertain future had ledto call for a "Day of Action" to defend education.

At theUniversity of Massachusetts-Amherst, dozens of protesters gatheredThursday and chanted, "Hey hey, ho ho, these student fees have got togo."

Video submitted from the demonstration by a CNN iReportercalling himself Bowtieguy showed students carrying handmade signs withmessages like "Where's Holub's pay cut?" -- a reference to universitychancellor Robert C. Holub.

Another homemade sign read "Chop from the top."

AtCalifornia State University-Fullerton, dozens of students marchedoutdoors, chanting, "Students united will never be divided." A videosubmitted by a CNN iReporter who calls herself MelissaF showed handmadesigns saying "Protect humanities" and "What happened to our future?"

Statefunding for the California State University system was reduced bynearly $1 billion for the academic years between 2008 and 2010. Schoolshave responded by increasing fees, canceling classes, cutting studentsupport programs and furloughing professors. Fees have increased 182percent since 2002. Class waiting lists have doubled or tripled.

"Theless affordable education becomes, the less likely low-income studentswill be able to get a college education," said Lillian Taiz, presidentof the California Faculty Association and professor of history atCalifornia State University Los Angeles.

In addition to protestsat numerous public colleges and universities in California,demonstrations also were planned for K-12 schools Thursday, accordingto the Student Activism blog.

See where the protests are happening

Onthe other side of the country, in Georgia, a legislative committeeproposed $300 million in cuts to the state's college system, on top ofthe $100 million cut in the past two years, University of GeorgiaPresident Michael F. Adams wrote in an open letter to students, facultyand staff.

"This is not our plan; these are not cuts we offeredto make; and we will vigorously oppose any effort to implement them,"Adams wrote.

In response, student organizers in Georgia areurging fellow students at every college in the state system to wearblack this week to "symbolize the 'death' of our education," accordingto a post on Facebook.

In Colorado, hundreds rallied at the Capitol in Denver, holding signs and cheering.

Watch students march on Colorado Capitol

InNew York, students at New York University, which is private, planned tomeet up to protest tuition increases and education cuts with studentsfrom Hunter College and the New School, two other private institutionsin Manhattan, said NYU student Claire Lewis.

"It is a privateuniversity, but like a lot of public universities, our tuition is alsogetting increased," Lewis said. "This isn't anything new with theeconomic crisis with us; our tuition gets increased an average of 6percent every year," she said.

"But lots of our students dependon federally funded grants and loans, and so the broader-nationeducation cuts definitely affect us." She added, "Kids literally worktwo or three jobs to pay for their tuition here."

InMaryland, students at the University of Maryland in College Parkplanned to walk out of class at noon, meet at the student union andthen march to a plaza for a rally, according to a Facebook invitation.

It's NOT just Ca. The whole country needs to stand up and get their priorities straight!

[h2]15 UW-Milwaukee Protesters Arrested After Scuffles[/h2] DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer
MILWAUKEE (AP) ― A protest over tuition costs turned violent Thursday on the Universityof Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus, with protesters allegedly throwing iceand snowballs at police and officers responding with pepper spray.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
hell yeah...i wanna participate so bad....CA is garbage right now the way our economy is going.

Back
Top Bottom