Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

University heights,shaker, Beachwood are really good areas..shaker and Beachwood are good schools if u don't mind the commute look into streetsboro,Hudson,Macedonia,Bedford or Solon you might come up on a mini mansion for the low
Thank you sir, take this rep.

I'm heavily considering investing in University Heights, rents are good cause it's next to the schools, and it seems to be a nice area. Property taxes are a bit high though

I scooped an iRobot over the weekend. I can't believe I went this long without one!
Care to give a mini review?

I got a neato robot vac when I first got the house because my dog sheds like crazy. The only problem is when the vac is operating the dog freaks out because the pet brush attachment is so loud
We bought a BoBsweep back in the spring because cleaning floors with kids was a HUGE pain. It's a great tool to have because I can turn it on and about 40 minutes later it's done. It definitely doesn't get everything but that's why we run it multiple times each week. It also can't get in the tiny corners but for a macro cleaning it does a pretty good job. Only complaints I have are not it no longer finds its home by itself. I have to shut it off and carry it back (which it didn't used to do) and also we change our setup so often I'm not sure it knows what the layout of our house is anymore. Lastly, if you have carpet it has difficulty going over it and has to use A LOT of battery power to go through medium length carpet. A LOT meaning it would probably go about 20 minutes before needing to charge if we had more than a couple of area rugs in the bedrooms.

If you have a busy house, it's a great purchase though.

After 2.5 months of being in escrow, we finally closed on our newest project in Point Loma. Man, I've been itching to get started on this one. It's a small home 1008 sq ft, 3 bed/1 bath and a non permitted bathroom attached to the garage. Got so many ideas but gonna focus on the kitchen obviously and the backyard. I'm thinking pergola, BBQ built in, and a firepit. But my partner is thinking fireplace w/ seating area and flatscreen tv. Lol. So we'll see what happens.

@ekREV98  No to the flat screen and fireplace lol , your idea is more modern and what is in now.

Good luck with the flip.

My partner and I are trying to secure a 6 unit in SE DC right now.

The owner is willing to do seller financing, so we are just trying to get the funds together now to do the deal.

Hopefully everything works out. My only concern is that he only has 1 unit rented, so the appraisal isn't going to come back close to what he wants.

Trying to talk him down. Will let you all know how it goes.

could you elaborate on this?

did they have the pipes extended w/o the proper authorities permission or something?
Can correct me if I'm wrong, non-permitted usually refers to they didn't get a permit for the bathroom. Ex. Before any add-ons to your house (bed, bath, garage, den anything) you have to get a permit from the city making sure they're okay with it (zoning). When people do the addition without getting the permit from the city, it is non-permitted.

@ekREV98
 No to the flat screen and fireplace lol , your idea is more modern and what is in now.
Good luck with the flip.

My partner and I are trying to secure a 6 unit in SE DC right now.
The owner is willing to do seller financing, so we are just trying to get the funds together now to do the deal.
Hopefully everything works out. My only concern is that he only has 1 unit rented, so the appraisal isn't going to come back close to what he wants.

Trying to talk him down. Will let you all know how it goes.

Yah I'm not too keen on the flat screen idea but we'll see where the budget is at. We never get the chance to really do up a backyard on our flips so we were throwing out all of our ideas cuz of the excitement.

Having 1 unit out of 6 rented out would be a concern for me as well. Any reason why?

Can correct me if I'm wrong, non-permitted usually refers to they didn't get a permit for the bathroom. Ex. Before any add-ons to your house (bed, bath, garage, den anything) you have to get a permit from the city making sure they're okay with it (zoning). When people do the addition without getting the permit from the city, it is non-permitted.

Yup.

Yah I'm not too keen on the flat screen idea but we'll see where the budget is at. We never get the chance to really do up a backyard on our flips so we were throwing out all of our ideas cuz of the excitement.

Having 1 unit out of 6 rented out would be a concern for me as well. Any reason why?
Older guy, he has other properties that are cash flowing and he just wants to dump it.

Funny situation across the street from me with a 3 family thats or sale. The landlords GF is in one of the units with a 2 year lease paying $1500 a month. Market value is $2300-$2400. All the units are 4 bed 2 bath. The buyer couldn't afford the loan with her in it.

What are you guys using for home security systems? Just purchased my first home and found out that finding the right home security system is almost as difficult as finding the right house!

Started demo on my newest project today. The property was a trust sale and the son was handling the sale for his deceased father. The son lives out of state but I was told he was going to the house to clear his dad's stuff out. Got there today and he never cleared any of his dad's stuff or took any of his personal belongings. There were some items that were very personal like pictures, memorabilia, etc... and it was just sad to see. It just felt like all his son cared about was the money and the sale of the house and disregarded his dad's stuff. :smh: Unfortunately there's nothing we could really do but to toss his stuff out.

What are you guys using for home security systems? Just purchased my first home and found out that finding the right home security system is almost as difficult as finding the right house!

@beezygotsole is right. It's a waste of money. I would do a security camera system instead. You can get a 8 camera system for about $500.

I went with Arlo because I wanted wireless. Comes with an app and you can set up a schedule of when you want it on and how long it records for. Sends you a notification to when it detects motion. Can be set up on multiple phones as well.

what are some good books to learn about real estate investing?

Rich Dad Poor Dad
Bigger Pockets presents: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to RE Investing

Not a book but Bigger Pockets forum and podcast

Frontpoint . Don't overspend on a system.
I'm honestly not gonna renew mine waste of money to me.

Super facts!

Had ADT and cancelled..

The system is 100 a month and 70 per window sensor... PER WINDOW... bruh. I have literally 16 windows on the first floor alone... [emoji]128529[/emoji]

Now I'm looking a 4-5 camera system and recording is my thing...

Found TWO windows open and I have NO a window guards on any window on the first floor..

Brooklyn is getting shaky....

I live in a building complex that has a security guard at the gate but i got a canary camera for Christmas/ house warming gift and i like it.
Turns on when my phone leaves the home wifi network and turns back off when i get home. You can also set them up in a network of cameras but i think there is probably a more cost effective solution if you need multiple cameras.

Dog (even though he is friendly as ****) and guns. Might get a bigger (scarier) dog and get him trained.

My GF been on me about getting ADT but I honestly don't wanna spend the bread. We are expecting our first kid in the summer so she's more worried about security and **** now.

Man, some of these town homes in Fairfax are soo nice. But WAYYYYY out my budget. 

How are folks doing it out here? lol

Back
Top Bottom