Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

The red is where I added soundproofed walls
1E073E90-3C61-428E-9987-942FCEDCE566.jpeg

Yeah. The "main house" had a living room and family room, family room is closest to garage. We walled off the family room so garage has it, along with a bathroom.

Converted garage into a 1bed + kitchen, took one of the bathrooms from main house, and family room so it's a 2 bedroom/1 bath currently.
Makes me think of this.

Hunnynutcheerios Hunnynutcheerios ksteezy ksteezy

why beacon,ny when ya were so close to the city. Or are ya that fed up?

i dont mind moving far from the fam. But then my fam is all i got. We just want to close to each other at all times. Plus they help with the kids.
Me I’ve always lived up here. I actually grew up in Beacon. I now live in Poughkeepsie which is about a half hr north.

Me I’ve always lived up here. I actually grew up in Beacon. I now live in Poughkeepsie which is about a half hr north.

Yikes. I'm sorry lol

I was looking at some historic houses out in Yonkers. Still thinking about it.

Maybe when if I get married and have some kids, I'll move out to Scarsdale or some **** like that. I do think about doing it now, so my dog has a nice big yard to run around in. I took him up to Stowe, VT a few weeks ago. He had the best time.

Yikes. I'm sorry lol

I was looking at some historic houses out in Yonkers. Still thinking about it.

Maybe when if I get married and have some kids, I'll move out to Scarsdale or some **** like that. I do think about doing it now, so my dog has a nice big yard to run around in. I took him up to Stowe, VT a few weeks ago. He had the best time.
Westchester freaking expensive man. I don’t think I could ever afford a house there. I love Tarrytown that’s where I went to school but honestly I love the area I live in. I like the peace and quiet.

Idk too many people who’d want to live in a garage+bedroom… maybe real young adults hyper focused on saving $, more power to you
Converted garages and additional dwelling units are pretty common in the bay area. The place is split up as a four-unit right now, so I don't have to live in the converted garage.

I can live in the main house 3bed/2ba or either of the 1bed/1baths w/kitchen, living rooms, but we chose this unit over the others (main house was too big).
Here are some pics (panoramic view is weird). Wifey was showering, so didn't get the bathroom.
image0 (12).jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

image5.jpeg

To get my mortgage paid, and get 1,000$/month in California, I'd live in much WORSE situations :lol:. I'm a savage though

Westchester freaking expensive man. I don’t think I could ever afford a house there. I love Tarrytown that’s where I went to school but honestly I love the area I live in. I like the peace and quiet.

Yeah, a lot of people I work with either lives out in Westchester or some part in Connecticut.

I'm still out in the West Village living in a 2-bedroom. I own the place. Might end up keeping it and letting my cousin live here if I ever move out.

Hunnynutcheerios Hunnynutcheerios ksteezy ksteezy

why beacon,ny when ya were so close to the city. Or are ya that fed up?

i dont mind moving far from the fam. But then my fam is all i got. We just want to close to each other at all times. Plus they help with the kids.

I lived in Yonkers prior and work in westchester county, my commute is traffic free, straight shot 50
Minutes to work, it often takes me longer to cover 10 miles in the actual city. We also wanted to build our house and beacon was the closest we could get and still afford itz

I ordered this, expecting it next year to put in my backyard (costs 50k):

What do you have to do as far as connecting utilities? Did you have get permits for an ADU etc?

I kind of want one of these to throw on some land in the mountains. Air BnB it out when I'm not using it.

A **** ton of my coworkers have moved to Beacon during the pandemic. I’ve heard nothing but good things. I work in banking if that matters.

Most of my coworkers with families are in Westchester area and Connecticut, followed by Beacon :lol:

What do you have to do as far as connecting utilities? Did you have get permits for an ADU etc?

I kind of want one of these to throw on some land in the mountains. Air BnB it out when I'm not using it.

It comes with the utility hook up inside the ADU. Someone will need to hook up the utilities though. Yes, you have to get permits for ADUs.

If you have kids, ADU/duplex or whatever pdino did to his house will never be worth the loss of privacy.

I owner occupied duplexes and ADU on lot and made money every month but then came the wife and the babies.

never could get over trusting a tenant with shared space once my son came.

even my wife was uncomfortable so we sold everything.

now we’re SFH and the investors buying up in leimert/view park offering us so much cause they can now build 2 adus lol.

our neighbor built an ADU and hasn’t rented it out cause she realized she lost her backyard and can’t walk around naked 😂

If you have kids, ADU/duplex or whatever pdino did to his house will never be worth the loss of privacy.

I owner occupied duplexes and ADU on lot and made money every month but then came the wife and the babies.

never could get over trusting a tenant with shared space once my son came.

even my wife was uncomfortable so we sold everything.

now we’re SFH and the investors buying up in leimert/view park offering us so much cause they can now build 2 adus lol.

our neighbor built an ADU and hasn’t rented it out cause she realized she lost her backyard and can’t walk around naked 😂

If you're not comfortable with tenants, can always get friends/family. My friend just bought a house and rents out the basement to his girlfriends sister/boyfriend.

Haven't had any privacy issues yet. There's one shared wall, and it's sound-proofed. We all have our own entrances/living rooms/kitchens/bathrooms etc. Similar to me as living in an apartment complex, but we have our own facilities (washer/dryer, parking etc.). No kids yet, so maybe we'll feel differently when we have kids. If we feel like our privacy is being invaded, we'll buy another house and let this investment property build equity/pay for itself..

This current property will cash flow 3k/month if we were to move out (after paying for mortage/property taxes/utilities). If I can pay-off the property one day, it'll cash flow 8,000$+/month (not including rent inflation or the additional ADU I ordered.)

I worked in Newburgh a few years back and all the doctors and administrators lived in beacon. That side of the water people seem to take care of thier homes which leads to better communities.

If you're not comfortable with tenants, can always get friends/family. My friend just bought a house and rents out the basement to his girlfriends sister/boyfriend.

Haven't had any privacy issues yet. There's one shared wall, and it's sound-proofed. We all have our own entrances/living rooms/kitchens/bathrooms etc. Similar to me as living in an apartment complex, but we have our own facilities (washer/dryer, parking etc.). No kids yet, so maybe we'll feel differently when we have kids. If we feel like our privacy is being invaded, we'll buy another house and let this investment property build equity/pay for itself..

This current property will cash flow 3k/month if we were to move out (after paying for mortage/property taxes/utilities). If I can pay-off the property one day, it'll cash flow 8,000$+/month (not including rent inflation or the additional ADU I ordered.)

that’s a come up. We rented to my sister when she came back from Oklahoma then to my cousin when he got married. My sister moved back and I don’t speak to the cousin. That’s just my experience. There was no sound proofing my sons stomping when he started crawling and when he started doin suicides across the houses. Our house was in west adams near usc and it just didn’t feel like home anymore. Nothing but renters, no parking, a lack of care that was there years before.we decided to “sell out” and sold to a cash buyer. We got a SFH her aunt lives in that takes care of the mortgage but it’s a few miles away so she don’t bug lol.

I just couldn’t do the landlord thing.

that’s a come up. We rented to my sister when she came back from Oklahoma then to my cousin when he got married. My sister moved back and I don’t speak to the cousin. That’s just my experience. There was no sound proofing my sons stomping when he started crawling and when he started doin suicides across the houses. Our house was in west adams near usc and it just didn’t feel like home anymore. Nothing but renters, no parking, a lack of care that was there years before.we decided to “sell out” and sold to a cash buyer. We got a SFH her aunt lives in that takes care of the mortgage but it’s a few miles away so she don’t bug lol.

I just couldn’t do the landlord thing.

You don't have to!

Got several properties, and I just use property manager to handle everything. I send out a few emails/per year and just collect checks after they take their cut. Investment properties can be hands-off or you can micromanage if you want.

Back
Top Bottom