Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Yeah, you'll have more home buying power with the low rates, although there's a slight correlation between mortgage rates and housing prices to compensate. If you're not ready to buy yet I suggest working on saving up as much $$ as possible (everything expensive in the home-buying process), and getting your credit scores up to get a better rate---> save thousands. 

I been house hunting for about a Month now. Been outbid on 1 house so far. My max is 405k and need 4 beds so it kinda the lower level of 4beds for the price in my area(Solano County, CA) It's been interesting so far. Jus put in another offer on a place so I'm hopin they accept. Came in strong...Im going FHA...

Hey guys, Im living in a leased townhome right now and the owner decided to give me a 30 days to vacate (1 year lease was expired... was in month 2 month). I want to take this chance to buy a house aroudn 450k-500k mark around Socal (O.C specifically). Any idea where to start looking? Im pretty sure buying a house will take more than 3o days
I wouldn't suggest buying on that kind of timeline. We bought our first home on a similar timeline and had so many pitfalls because of the timeline it was ridiculous. We actually had to stay with some friends for 2 weeks because our lease expired and we kept running into unexpected hurdles. Not to mention our moving truck was parked by the side of the road with ALL of our stuff in it.

If you're ready to buy (actually ready), then pick up a M2M and start the process of looking to buy by getting pre-approved for a loan and find a good Realtor in the area you're looking. It'll likely take at least 30 days just to close on the loan, let alone find a home you actually like and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I wouldn't suggest buying on that kind of timeline. We bought our first home on a similar timeline and had so many pitfalls because of the timeline it was ridiculous. We actually had to stay with some friends for 2 weeks because our lease expired and we kept running into unexpected hurdles. Not to mention our moving truck was parked by the side of the road with ALL of our stuff in it.

If you're ready to buy (actually ready), then pick up a M2M and start the process of looking to buy by getting pre-approved for a loan and find a good Realtor in the area you're looking. It'll likely take at least 30 days just to close on the loan, let alone find a home you actually like and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

How do you find a good realtor? Word of mouth?

How do you find a good realtor? Word of mouth?
I worked at a bank and one of our clients happened to be a Realtor. Unfortunately, we also let her talk us into buying when we probably shouldn't have either. Lots of mistakes on our part because we always wanted a "place of our own" when we should have waited about another year or two when we were really ready.

If you want to find a good Realtor, I would suggest looking at reviews online, then interview 2-3 agents. In the conversation, ask them how many people they're helping to buy a home each year for the past 3-4 years. Get a feel for each one and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with.

I work with a Realtor now, so that made it pretty easy.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^ co sign. Interview several realtors with strong online reviews, and if needed, ask to call references. I would want someone experienced in my area, and id want one who may be a little aggressive versus passive. A passive, laid back realtor can be an issue. Ive known people who get trapped picking a laid back realtor thinking their personalities were compatible but regretted it later.

Also everyone has a best friend, 3rd cousin, neighbor, or auntie etc who is a realtor. Full time or part time. Stay away always.

Last edited:
It's also a lot of homes in la going for less than $200k. I'm convinced the economy is in same state it was in 07 but they are just keeping it on hush. This would be the best time to buy some property in la.

Don't say you were not warned as to "when" to enter...

It's also a lot of homes in la going for less than $200k. I'm convinced the economy is in same state it was in 07 but they are just keeping it on hush. This would be the best time to buy some property in la.

Don't say you were not warned as to "when" to enter...

Bro I need a link or 5.

i want to start buying and flipping houses in philly.. market is white hot right now .. i just don't know where to start. i have a nice amount of cash to invest

i want to start buying and flipping houses in philly.. market is white hot right now .. i just don't know where to start. i have a nice amount of cash to invest

Check out BiggerPockets. Absorb and learn as much as you can before you get your feet wet. I've personally done a couple flips in the past couple years and it wasn't for me. I now purchase units and rent them out.

Check out BiggerPockets. Absorb and learn as much as you can before you get your feet wet. I've personally done a couple flips in the past couple years and it wasn't for me. I now purchase units and rent them out.

thanksbro.. i am in a good position i have friends who are in construction, electricians, plumbers, and**** like that.. i just need to jump in.. row homes in up and coming neighborhoods are about 80-150k for complete gut jobs with the price being around 250-300k finished .

thanksbro.. i am in a good position i have friends who are in construction, electricians, plumbers, and**** like that.. i just need to jump in.. row homes in up and coming neighborhoods are about 80-150k for complete gut jobs with the price being around 250-300k finished .

That solves half your problems. It is difficult to find good contractors. Are you looking to pay cash or financing? I'm not even sure you can get financing for flips.

That solves half your problems. It is difficult to find good contractors. Are you looking to pay cash or financing? I'm not even sure you can get financing for flips.
yea i would prob do cash i have a nice amount saved.. the friends i have that do it say it takes bertween 40-60k all in to get it from studs to a finished house.. i just don't know how to go about it.

Anyone moved out of NYC because of taxes ? I just found out i'm going to pay about $5K in NYC tax ALONE. This doesn't include state or federal. It's like you can't win in this city. :smh:

I visited an accountant yesterday and I told him we wanted buy a home before we met to discuss my tax situation in person. My GF wants to move to LI. He said I wouldn't have to pay NYC tax,I can deduct all of my property taxes, and of course mortgage interest.

How do I figure out how much I would save ? With all the numbers that were being thrown around it gave me a headache and I forgot what he said. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom