Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Thank God I live in GA where nice sized houses are affordable. No way I could live in CA or NY.

Man I'm looking in Atlanta but these prices are crazy in the city. I'm trying to get up near 400 to ease the commute to work so that def limiting me.

Man I'm looking in Atlanta but these prices are crazy in the city. I'm trying to get up near 400 to ease the commute to work so that def limiting me.

Oh yea, inside the city keep going up. Gotta go outside to see reasonable prices. Personally I never wanted to live in the city, always the suburbs.

Wife's a sheriff and does now does evictions. She never believed me when I told her it cost me almost 9k to get a bad tenant out so we're over being land lords. It's good money, at times, but something breaks, it's on me x2.

I know what you mean. My neighbor rented to a family and they ended up squatting for 9 months. If you include missed rent, he lost out on over $20k easy.

How the hell do 95% of these working families afford a house in this market?

My wife and I do just fine, no kids, and we're having a hard time finding a house within a reasonable budget... **** is crazy out here b. These prices cannot be sustainable. Next move is creditors are going to start offering 40 year loans. Watch.

It’s tough to say. I thought the same thing about the market 3-4 years ago. I was so worried that I was buying something in such a hot market and it was due for a correction but it never happened.

All it means is decisions carry a much heavier price then they use to.which means less time to mess around and ambition needs to be a trait

Good luck in the hunt Chopper Chopper . It will workout just be patient

This thread is a good read :pimp:

I’m in Boston and starting to think about if I can even afford to live here. Planning on living at home for a few more years while I keep saving. I have some money saved and I’ll have a decent amount in a few years time, so I’m also wondering if I should look into investing in something

Same. This city is overvalued AF if you're a single dude. I lived on Columbia Rd in Dorchester in a 2 bedroom condo while I was in school in 2004 for $1200. Same spot goes for about $3K today. :sick:

I know a really good Realtor up in Beantown if you guys need help. He works with a lot of the Sox.

How did they legally stay there for 9 months?

They have to NOT pay rent. That can be a month or 2 depending on the landlord. In my situation, I gave them a pass for a month cause they never missed a payment...a month or 2 goes by, then you can serve a 30-60-90 day eviction notice. That process takes some time so another month free before they get the 3 months to catch up.

You can't force them out, change locks or nothing till the 90 day notice passes. Then the sheriff can come and kick them out.

Then they left behind everything which cost me money to remove.

It's only worth if you're super wealthy and don't care about your property. I grew up there so it held some value to me.

How did they legally stay there for 9 months?

Pretty much what edshoecator edshoecator said. In Cali, tenants have rights after 30 days. So you have to go through the process that edshoecator edshoecator talked about.

I’ve only had 2 tenants and never had any issues so I consider myself pretty lucky. I know a lot of people don’t want anything to do with being a landlord but my ultimate goal is passive income so I plan on doing it again

Trying to see if I can buy a whole block in St. Louis (where the wife is from) and hire a property manager to handle all that.

They got 1k-20k lots there. Maybe I can "flip st. louis" and get a show out of it :lol:

I know a really good Realtor up in Beantown if you guys need help. He works with a lot of the Sox.
My friends a realtor but he only does apartments. It’s non stop because of all the students coming in and out

Same. This city is overvalued AF if you're a single dude. I lived on Columbia Rd in Dorchester in a 2 bedroom condo while I was in school in 2004 for $1200. Same spot goes for about $3K today. :sick:

I bet. Things have definitely changed. There was a multi family house in Jamaica plain that caught on fire. I saw an article where it said they bought the house for like 2 or 300 something thousand in 2007 and now it’s worth around a million

Trying to see if I can buy a whole block in St. Louis (where the wife is from) and hire a property manager to handle all that.

They got 1k-20k lots there. Maybe I can "flip st. louis" and get a show out of it :lol:

I've had that same idea, for Detroit.

There are entire blocks of razed / burnt out houses.... why couldn't someone with a lot of cash, just buy up entire blocks and build whatever they want there? I always joked with my buddies that we should all chip in, and we'll build a walled-in compound with our own houses and create our own neighborhood. Spartan Village

I've always dreamt of having me and boys live on a cul de sac. Just 6 homes and a gate with massive lots and basement tunnels that connect our houses.

Dude... if I knew you weren't one of my college roommates, I would think that you are one of my college roommates :lol:

No bull****, we always talked about that same idea - especially the underground tunnels thing too. We always said it'd be cool to have like a main "chamber" where each tunnel ends, to where we could hang out.

Dude... if I knew you weren't one of my college roommates, I would think that you are one of my college roommates :lol:

No bull****, we always talked about that same idea - especially the underground tunnels thing too. We always said it'd be cool to have like a main "chamber" where each tunnel ends, to where we could hang out.

how else we gonna play madden, 2k and get away from the kids and wives?

I’ve never even been but I’ve always thought about moving to Florida.. it’s kinda only natural as a new Englander :lol: but with how the market here is I might eventually look into it

I’ve never even been but I’ve always thought about moving to Florida.. it’s kinda only natural as a new Englander :lol: but with how the market here is I might eventually look into it
Just had my mom, my dad, and my in-laws all buy homes in Florida within the last couple years :lol:

I would worry a bit about the school system down there personally, although I'm sure it's not THAT bad.

Is anyone interested in a 2600 sf house in Acworth, GA not too far from Kennesaw State? An Adidas logistics facility is also close by:nerd:.

Just had my mom, my dad, and my in-laws all buy homes in Florida within the last couple years :lol:

I would worry a bit about the school system down there personally, although I'm sure it's not THAT bad.

My sisters are teachers down there, I think the schools just depend on where you are. One sister is in a more middle to upper class area and its fine - she yells at kids to put away their iPhones or she'll take them, and they just tell her "so what, my mom will buy me another one".

The other sister was a teacher at kind of a lower class school, and she described it kind of like Dangerous Minds :lol:. Kids getting into fights in class, she had a button under her desk that would alert the front office when **** was going down, etc.

I follow some realtors in South FL and some in Southern CA just to :sick: @ the disparities in price of essentially the same property.

My goal is to move to CA at some point but the prices are obnoxious. I just can't do Florida humidity.

To make a long story short, my wife and I are looking for a house with more square footage. We found one that we love in our neighborhood, but it is overpriced (600k) and has sat on the market for 20 months. It has also been vacant during this time, but is still in good shape. Big house, but hasn’t been updated in twenty years and is priced like it has been. Because it has sat for so long, we offered 70k less than the listing price. Sellers countered at 15k less than listing. Logically, if it has been sitting that long, they are asking too much and as much as we want the house, we are not willing to overpay.

I’ve been scheming on how to get them to drop the price/move the house and have come up with two tactics:

1) I found out they are claiming a homestead exemption on the house, despite moving out of state and not having lived there for at least two years. State laws state that you must occupy home to claim exemption. This is tax fraud, and probably the main reason they are able to sit on the property without any pressure to move it. I could report them anonymously and they could get hit with tens of thousands in back taxes as well as a lien on the property. Should I report them?

2) A friend and I were joking about having him send in a much lower low ball offer to make mine look good by comparison and motivate the owners to question the home’s value. His gf is a realtor and it would be easy to do. Anyone ever done this before? How unethical do you think it is? I’m wrestling with it, but it’s not worse than realtors always telling you there are multiple offers to pad their wallets.

Would you do either one?

Back
Top Bottom