Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Did some math to think about renting out our townhouse when we decide to take a break from work to live abroad for a bit.

Rental Income $4,500

Property Manager 450
Mortgage 4600
PMI 125
Property Tax 730
Mello Roos Tax 230
Community HOA 220
Neighborhood HOA 300
Home Maintenance Estimate 300
Homeowners Insurance 35
Umbrella Insurance 15
Total $7000

So I’m estimating having to pay about $2,500 a month for us to keep it. And prior to renting it out probably we’ll need to get a new HVAC ($12k) and garage door system ($1k).

840k x .04 = +$33.7k a year on capital appreciation
If the house value grows at 4% a year I think the math works out for us to keep it. Historically stuff has grown much faster than that but seems like that’s all changed nowadays unfortunately. We just got into the house 1 year ago so selling it seems like a bad idea given how much closing and realtor costs are. Seems better to hold onto it for a few years and hope some magic moment happens of int rates going down and valuations going up significantly. The area is really good. No additional housing can be built and schools are all rated 9s so renting out is easy.

bmf-interview-lil-meech.jpg

Was it automatic or did you have to call? No refinancing required right?
In our case we had to do it right after the two year mark. An appraiser came out after we contacted our lender. Took pictures inside and outside and wrote us three days later saying we got approved to get it removed.

In our case we had to do it right after the two year mark. An appraiser came out after we contacted our lender. Took pictures inside and outside and wrote us three days later saying we got approved to get it removed.
Is this without having to pay anything? Tge value to my home on this eproperty website has it at 15% increase. And thats without an actual inspection of about 25k in upgrades.

We contacted our lender to have PMI removed less than 2 years into the mortgage. We had to fill out a form and pay $150 for the appraisal fee. They send an appraiser out, took a couple pics and asked about any upgrades we made since buying, and then were done. Simple and easy.

Im a bit confused.

You guys are putting under 20% down, paying PMI, then getting that PMI removed within 1-2 years?

Pandemic bump in appreciation/ equity.

If the value of your home goes up (due to market/renovations/etc) since purchase, or in this case < 2 years, PMI can be waived indefinitely?

Damn if that's the case I'm about to start doing 3-5% down payments + renovation flips instead of a 20% downpayment :lol:

If the value of your home goes up (due to market/renovations/etc) since purchase, or in this case < 2 years, PMI can be waived indefinitely?

Damn if that's the case I'm about to start doing 3-5% down payments + renovation flips instead of a 20% downpayment :lol:
Definitely can do that fam. Once your under your 20% of appraised value whether that be from forced or natural appreciation you can get it removed.

From my understanding this has always been the case. You could also accomplish this with a simple refinance but today's rates obviously aren't the rates of 2020 and 2021 so you gotta be smart.

I could be wrong, but I think FHA
Appreciate the insight. Always dreaded PMI so never considered a < 20% downpayment before.
I think FHA and USDA are the ones folks usually get pissed about. The FHA is for the life of the loan if you put down < 10%. USDAs charge an annual "guarantee fee" to my understanding. You should be good if you're just doing conventional or VA

I could be wrong, but I think FHA

I think FHA and USDA are the ones folks usually get pissed about. The FHA is for the life of the loan if you put down < 10%. USDAs charge an annual "guarantee fee" to my understanding. You should be good if you're just doing conventional or VA
This is a good point that I didn't take into consideration when I posted earlier. I've been lucky enough to get 5% down payments (non FHA) on a couple of deals. I forget about those FHA restrictions.

For people locked in at lower rates with FHA removing PMI could be a pain point. It's definitely worth examining where your loan stands a d what you would save.

Back
Top Bottom