Hoop Orange AF1 Midsole Restoration

I bought these as an experiment to restore the yellowed midsole. W/o further ado, here are the pics.

Stuff needed:
Painter's Choice Multipurpose paint (any good paint that bonds well with rubber will do, as the AF1 midsole is based on rubber)
Masking Tape
Scissors

Before:

During:

After:

(Can't stress how masking is important)

Also, how do I get rid of excess white paint?

Just a quick wipe with acetone on the soles where there is excess paint and you're set. Also, as time goes by when your hands are more steady with a brush,you won't need to waste your time with masking. Good start though!

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

why'd you use electrical tape as opposed to actual masking tape?
that's the only one I found in the house, but it did it's job. Is there a difference? I remember using one I found in my house, but thebonding was weak, and it was easy to move it.

sOleOrEo - won't acetone remove the orange color? I did usesome nail polish remover, and it worked to some extent.

^ Just a few rubs with Acetone, it wont remove the orange sole

when you get a chance to wear em, show how the midsole holds up after a few wears..

Originally Posted by I Love AF1

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

why'd you use electrical tape as opposed to actual masking tape?
that's the only one I found in the house, but it did it's job. Is there a difference? I remember using one I found in my house, but the bonding was weak, and it was easy to move it.

sOleOrEo - won't acetone remove the orange color? I did use some nail polish remover, and it worked to some extent.

The acetone will only remove the paint, it will not affect the soles at all. If anything, it will only make your soles cleaner.

sOleOrEo - how is that possible? are the Nike soles made of special acetone-resistant paint?
nerd.gif

the soles dont use paint...its orange rubber. The acetone wont hurt at all...maybe make it a lil ashky looking at 1st.
and yeah, masking tape is made to mask off areas you dont want paint on. there are different grades, but I'd imagine it would work better than electreicaltape which has a completely different use.

Masking tape will give you a much sharper edge and a closer seam - which should stop paint getting down the back and dripping like happened.

You get different grades from really easily removable stuff for delicate surfaces to super sticky stuff.

Probably somewhere in the middle would work well.

I've tried removing the excess paint with nail polish remover, but it has very little effect. What should I do?

nail polish remover has like 10% acetone in it? you need 100% acetone. some rubber gloves would be useful too just to be on the safe side. I never use them,but I know that I should. I mean nail polish remover would work alright, but it would go alot quicker with the actual acetone. you can get it at hardwarestores pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom