Horrible era of music.... well, Rap/Hip-Hop at least....

To the dudes saying nobody has any personality right now, listen to this. It takes a couple spins to get into but Danny Brown is dope.
I've never heard of this dude and I just went and checked him out to see what's new and original. And yeah it's different from what's the norm right now but this ain't nothing really new. This guy to me sounds like the updated Kool Keith.

I think its been a great year for music... You've got the best of both worlds with artists who've been around for awhile putting out great material (Nas, Kanye with G.O.O.D., etc) & new artists who are getting the job done now & for the future (Kendrick, Cole, K.R.I.T., etc).

Hip Hop was terrible from 2003-2008. You guys putting a era full of fake tough guys where you had to rap about sellin dope or ballin in the club or you wasnt gettin played over now?

Hip Hop is in its second golden age right now.

Wale
Wiz Khalifa
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Big K.R.I.T
Dom Kennedy
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Pusha T
Frank Ocean (apart of OF)
OFWGKTA
Kid cudi
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Rick Ross
Meek Millz
Drake
School Boy Q
Childish Gambino
Danny Brwon
Joe Budden
Royce Da 5'9
Crooked I
Joel Ortiz
Eminem
Lil Wayne
Yelawolf
NaS
Big Sean
Curren$y
Future
Jeezy
Blu
Liv Martez
Smoke DZA
Skyzoo
2 Chainz
The Weeknd
MGK
J.Cole
Asap Rocky
Waka Flocka
Nicki Minaj
XV
The Roots
Fred The Godson
Mac Miller
Gunplay
Kids These Days
Space Ghost Purpp
G.o. D. Jewelz
Juicy J

You mean to tell me ALL them are the same and you cant find something from that you like!? Do you see all that diversity?

If you cant find something from this era, that means you have outgrown rap. That simple.

Hip Hop was terrible from 2003-2008. You guys putting a era full of fake tough guys where you had to rap about sellin dope or ballin in the club or you wasnt gettin played over now?
Wale
Wiz Khalifa
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Big K.R.I.T
Dom Kennedy
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Pusha T
OFWGKTA
Kid cudi
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Rick Ross
Meek Millz
Drake
School Boy Q
Childish Gambino
Danny Brwon
Joe Budden
Royce Da 5'9
Crooked I
Joel Ortiz
Eminem
Lil Wayne
Yelawolf
NaS
Big Sean
Curren$y
Future
Jeezy
Blu
Liv Martez
Smoke DZA
Skyzoo
2 Chainz
The Weeknd
MGK
J.Cole
Asap Rocky
Waka Flocka
Nicki Minaj
XV
The Roots
Fred The Godson
Mac Miller
Gunplay
Kids These Days
Space Ghost Purpp
G.o. D. Jewelz
Juicy J
You mean to tell me ALL them are the same and you cant find something from that you like!? Do you see all that diversity?
If you cant find something from this era, that means you have outgrown rap. That simple.

That applies to alot of people on that list.

they say this about every era...out of all the new people, i don't think there's a true super star...some will stay for a while, some will be gone in a couple years

and i'll say people don't even care about when a rapper's album is comin out...since they throw out a free mixtape that's probably as good as the CD.....ppl don't even buy CD's any more, they click and download it....it was fun goin to the store and pickin up a CD, opening it when u get home and listening to it on your CD player......now it's lackluster....TV stations don't even play music videos any more too...u just watch it on youtube whenever you want, it's boring...and the music videos are boring too lol

Last edited:
yea 2003-2008 was the worst.. bunch of lean wit it snap your fingers ish.

Rap is definitly really good right now just need to know where to look:wink:

I feel like there's a buncha young guys in the game who could blow up and be something great, but alot of them are missing one or two things.  As soon as someone , who knows who, fixes that one thing, we'll have alot better music

Yup. Everyone riding the same sound, using the same flows, dressing the same. There aren't any rappers that stand apart from the game right now,
that has something refreshing to bring to the table. Everything about the game is cookie cutter.
wait wait wait...what?
what point in time did rappers not all dress alike?
80s...they did. 90s they did...early 2000s they did...they do now. *shrugs* just from what i see i guess

You not the only one OP. But honestly my opinion doesnt count. I havent been giving new music a chance. Ima give a few spins to the albums posted.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the current state of hip-hop, but it has actually got me lookin back at some of the more underground stuff from the 90s & early 00s. I have found some stuff I overlooked back in the day that is really worth listening to. It hasn't driven me away from hip-hop, just diverted my attention back to the older stuff.

all the new rappers are so wack to me.. and people claim how they are gonna be the future and all that :rolleyes

haven't bought or downloaded anything new really this whole year.

Wale
Wiz Khalifa
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Big K.R.I.T
Dom Kennedy
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Pusha T
OFWGKTA
Kid cudi
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Rick Ross
Meek Millz
Drake
School Boy Q
Childish Gambino
Danny Brwon
Joe Budden
Royce Da 5'9
Crooked I
Joel Ortiz
Eminem
Lil Wayne
Yelawolf
NaS
Big Sean
Curren$y
Future
Jeezy
Blu
Liv Martez
Smoke DZA
Skyzoo
2 Chainz
The Weeknd
MGK
J.Cole
Asap Rocky
Waka Flocka
Nicki Minaj
XV
The Roots
Fred The Godson
Mac Miller
Gunplay
Kids These Days
Space Ghost Purpp
G.o. D. Jewelz
Juicy J
roll.gif

:lol: Dude said hip hop is in it's second golden age and then proceeds to list nearly every stale commercial act out now

Last edited:
You or other casual listeners may not be familiar with them....but almost every one of those albums listed are universally acclaimed as Hip-Hop classics, by people who closely follow the genre.

all the new rappers are so wack to me.. and people claim how they are gonna be the future and all that :rolleyes
haven't bought or downloaded anything new really this whole year.

What era was good? I'm curious? You mean to tell me with all this access to music and the artists being able to reach the people directly more than ever there is nothing good or even ground breaking and classic?

Curren$y is stale? Nas is stale? Jay Z is stale? Kanye is stale?School Boy Q is stale? Kendrick Lamar is stale? I think the point he was getting at is that there is plenty to choose from and alot of it is good though it may not be for you personally. I have to agree if you can't find something there you don't like Hip Hop.

Just give it some time

hiphop/rap is going thru a "new generation" phase right now

ita whole new wave of artist & whole different sound of new producers,
are coming from under the radar waiting to take this game and flip it the hell over

just give it some time

only 2 years into 00' guys its a new cycle of stuff again

Last edited:
What era was good? I'm curious? You mean to tell me with all this access to music and the artists being able to reach the people directly more than ever there is nothing good or even ground breaking and classic?

There definitely is, it's just that since there is so much access to music like you said, loads of awful music are easily accessible too. The more mediocre/weak artists in general have much more staying power now than ever, and nearly take away from the good quality artists. Artists who ten years ago would have been laughed at/ignored into oblivion are able to stay around much longer than they are supposed to (Soulja Boy [who was pretty much the catalyst for a lot of garbage], Kreayshawn, Lil' B, etc). Had No Good, Stagga Lee, and other missing in action artists like them came out after 2005, you'd still be hearing from them in some way. I guess the point is, if there was a fair balance of music in hip hop on a national scale, we probably wouldn't harp on the bad so much in relation to the good.

Yes.

This new Nas CD people are proclaiming as album of the year blows all this current crap out of the water, but is lackluster for a Nas CD. This is probably his 5th or 6th best CD.

The radio has never been a factor to me as the mainstream is always weak. There is very little creativity these days...everything is assimilated and blended into garbage. The internet has allowed to many people to put out too much crappy stuff...no filter, no process.

Things go in cycles though, so one day it might get better.
i agree the new nas album is kinda mediocre . compared to rick ross and all these other new guys its pretty good but if u compare it to the old nas its not even close. i also think that both of kendricks album are better than life is good.

How? This has been one of the best years for rap hip-hop in a while , maybe u just aren't listening to the right music. Between the last two years the amount of collaborations and unification in the game has created beautiful music only thing i could see better for the game is a huge beef between two great rappers (ex. jay, nas)
but that would never happen, so for now i'm jus goin enjoy the music.

Back
Top Bottom