Horrible era of music.... well, Rap/Hip-Hop at least....

bruh Big Sean is terrible, I dont get how anyone can possibly think he is nice
Burn tho  
pimp.gif

After that, he's mediocre.

Big sean is commercial garbage... Swerveeeeee :stoneface:

this music is watered downn.

dudes in the south judge what is hot by what gets played in the club or the 5 songs they play on the radio.

some girl at work just asked me if nas even had a song on the radio right now..... :x

even though this album is in the middle of the road for him , it still smash's all the other trash.

Well to me there's plenty of reasons why this era of music is boring like someone said in a previous post no personality...Its like everybody copying off somebody here's a few examples: Nicki=Lil Kim, Rick Ross=Biggie, Wiz= Snoop thats just a few..Another reason no originality meaning that everyone is doing the same thing Rapping over the same type beats & rapping bout the same thing...For example Those Lex Luger southside type beats everybody wants that type of beat..smfh Another reason is the label structure is all screwed up they don't have A&R's & artist development teams anymore so basically the labels just signing anybody that sounds catchy...Last is NO creativity no body makes rap music with substance anymore & the artist that do fly under the radar these artist are slaves to their record labels...

Action Bronson holds my attention...you ain't looking hard enough.  I remember I had this feeling in 03-04, then Little Brother popped up and it's like I fell in love with hip hop all over again......then Elzhi came on the scene and gave me goose bumps...hip hop will live.....don't let the machine dictate what you listen to.   It's out there, you just gotta find it. 

Well to me there's plenty of reasons why this era of music is boring like someone said in a previous post no personality...Its like everybody copying off somebody here's a few examples: Nicki=Lil Kim, Rick Ross=Biggie, Wiz= Snoop thats just a few..Another reason no originality meaning that everyone is doing the same thing Rapping over the same type beats & rapping bout the same thing...For example Those Lex Luger southside type beats everybody wants that type of beat..smfh Another reason is the label structure is all screwed up they don't have A&R's & artist development teams anymore so basically the labels just signing anybody that sounds catchy...Last is NO creativity no body makes rap music with substance anymore & the artist that do fly under the radar these artist are slaves to their record labels...
Wiz is purely a weed rapper, Snoop was more than that.  But Snoop sorta took Wiz under his wing of sorts, meanwhile Kim hates Nicki cuz shes a Stupid ***, and Biggie and Rick isnt a real comparison, because officer ricky doesnt try and flow like Big did, while the others do

I think this applies to all genres of music.

If you listen to rock, R&B, country, etc...the music being played through the radio isn't decided by the artists or the fans, it's being manufactured
by labels and stuff and put on constant replay at stations to basically force people to like it (although, this happens the WORST with Hip-Hop).

I never understood how there are classic rock stations (which are awesome) and not classic Hip-Hop stations? 80% of the "Hip-Hop" played on today's
radio stations really isn't Hip-Hop, it's more of a dance/pop song with mediocre lyrics sprinkled here and there. Even the normal rock stations play the classic, well liked songs from all years of the genre. Hip-Hop stations will strictly stick to newer songs and MAYBE cut a classic track after the same 10 songs have been played 20 times throughout the day.

Is there a such thing as a Hip-Hop station anymore? It's all mixed with pop and dance tracks now.

Yeah, there are plenty of resources to find great music of all genres of music, but the radio still til this day, has the most exposure.

If you listen to rock, R&B, country, etc...the music being played through the radio isn't decided by the artists or the fans, it's being manufactured
by labels and stuff and put on constant replay at stations to basically force people to like it (although, this happens the WORST with Hip-Hop).

I never understood how there are classic rock stations (which are awesome) and not classic Hip-Hop stations? 80% of the "Hip-Hop" played on today's
radio stations really isn't Hip-Hop, it's more of a dance/pop song with mediocre lyrics sprinkled here and there. Even the normal rock stations play the classic, well liked songs from all years of the genre. Hip-Hop stations will strictly stick to newer songs and MAYBE cut a classic track after the same 10 songs have been played 20 times throughout the day.

Is there a such thing as a Hip-Hop station anymore? It's all mixed with pop and dance tracks now.

Yeah, there are plenty of resources to find great music of all genres of music, but the radio still til this day, has the most exposure.

I wish I could rep you infinite times for this! Instead, I did it once, and copied this as my facebook status :smokin

Sadly :smh: Pandora, Spotify, and certain XM radio stations are lifesavers

Totally disagree, hip hop music is in a great place, it's grown from black music to a universal form of expression that anybody can be a part of. So many different regions, and countries and groups are now represented. I love it.

I don't really like Lil B, but I really can't deny the impact he's having on a segment of young people, plus Seen that Light goes hard.

How can anyone really say Big Sean just flat out sucks? I mean I understand if you don't like his style, but he's one of the wittest dudes doing it right now. I can't think of a better mainstream punchline artist than him right now. 

How can anyone really say Big Sean just flat out sucks? I mean I understand if you don't like his style, but he's one of the wittest dudes doing it right now. I can't think of a better mainstream punchline artist than him right now. 

I like Big Sean as well. These Lil Bs and ASAP rockys aren't for me though. I don't think you could listen to a whole Lil B album/mixtape and take it seriously

It's his voice more than anything. Sure, he is pretty witty, but that's covered up but his slight pre-pubescent sounding voice. He could recite Illmatic or Ready to Die, but it would't matter with his tone of voice.

It's his voice more than anything. Sure, he is pretty witty, but that's covered up but his slight pre-pubescent sounding voice. He could recite Illmatic or Ready to Die, but it would't matter with his tone of voice.

i just recited "today's agenda, got the suitcase up in the Sentra. go to room 112 tell em Blanco sent ya" in Big Sean's voice and yeeeah you're 100% correct (i know you said ready to die, that's just the first Biggie song that came to mind.)

Everything about dude is corny, punchlines, adlibs, song concepts...everything.

He's not a bad rapper, but I just can't listen to him though.

I disagree.
Only if you let the machine dictate what you listen to. Of the many pros/cons the internet has had on hip hop and music and general...one of the pros is that is easier to seek new/different artists. You don't have to let the radio and 106 park tell you who to listen to.
Mainstream hip-hop is in a bad place...but the genre overall? There are plenty of dope artists out there to listen to.

I totally agreed with this! I do think there is not a lot of quality being out out in the mainstream but the good music in hip-hop does exist sadly you just have to search a bit harder.

I think some points others have brought up that exists in hip-hop is lack of diversity and content. I have found some new good artist over the past few years that I enjoy and look forward to seeing what they do in their careers (j. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Joey Badass, Blu). Most of these new hip-hop artist don't impress me because of their lack of substance but you definitely can find some good music still in hip-hop.

Definitely growing out of rap as well, atleast as far as a lot of the younger dudes that are coming into the game with zero personality and being force-fed to us for their image. I can still rock with whatever Kanye and Jay-Z put out, most of the G.O.O.D. crew, some Drake, some Kendrick Lamar, some ASAP Rocky, some Mac Miller, most of Wiz's older stuff, some Tyga and a little of Rick Ross. But for the most part everything is just so repetitive. I mean, how much more can rappers really have to talk about? Being in the hood, slangin crack, shootin people isn't "in" anymore so mostly everybody in the game just talks about smokin bud, partying and gettin money. I can appreciate it when I'm drunk or when I'm working out...but the replay value just isn't there for most of these new rappers.

i just recited "today's agenda, got the suitcase up in the Sentra. go to room 112 tell em Blanco sent ya" in Big Sean's voice and yeeeah you're 100% correct (i know you said ready to die, that's just the first Biggie song that came to mind.)

"Being in the hood, slangin crack, shootin people isn't "in" anymore"

This.

But on the subject, I think that this era of rap has a something for everybody. I like variety and even if some older people dont like rappers like 2chainz and Big Sean, they contribute a different sound. What I listen to depends on my mood and even though I prefer music with content, I dont always want to hear super deep and lyrical stuff. There may not be as many great artist as there were in the 90s, there are still a lot of rappers contributing solid music. And for the people who says that they will try to give a listen to some albums from this new era, you cant judge from their albums because that's not their best works. Cole, Krit, and Wale are perfect examples. If I wanted to put someone on to any of those artist, I would have to play their mixtapes.

Last edited:
old enough to remember when cats were saying puffy was responsible for the downfall of rap; now everyone remembers the shiny suit era fondly. Just a generational thing.

Matter of fact, i'd say rap is way more diverse now, with plenty of good artists in all categories.

The thing with that list is that all of those aren't undisputed hiphop classics... Obviously the snoops & Wo tangs etc. are albums all generations will know and flock to but some of those other albums will not be heard outside of those who were alive in that Era. Just like people will argue that albums that drop nowadays don't compare to albums that released back then.

You or other casual listeners may not be familiar with them....but almost every one of those albums listed are universally acclaimed as Hip-Hop classics, by people who closely follow the genre.

Imma add fat joe jealous ones envy & Big L lifestylez of da poor and dangerous

I always hated Lil B and when dude posted those videos on the last page I thought I was about to hear the first Lil B song I liked. Not the case though. A new dude I just heard about is Stevie Crooks. I would definitely be categorized as an old school dude, but I try to stay open minded to the new stuff. This dude sounds kinda like early Jay-Z...

old enough to remember when cats were saying puffy was responsible for the downfall of rap; now everyone remembers the shiny suit era fondly. Just a generational thing.
Matter of fact, i'd say rap is way more diverse now, with plenty of good artists in all categories.
To me Puffy is the reason Hip-Hop took a serious nose dive that it's still trying to recover from. He took rap into the bling-bling era and it hasn't come back since. He also started what is now the album of today and that's a compilation album. Just get the hottest MC's in the game and put them all over your album and it'll sell more but it doesn't actually show off the MC that you bought the album of. People need to go back to limited features and limited producers. People don't understand how important it is to have one producer do your whole album. It makes for a more coherent and cohesive sound and resonates years later because it's not disposable. Nas went back to it with his new album. Very few producers with one nice vibe all the way through and only one other guest star rapper. All we actually heard was Nas and that's what makes his album so complete to me.

But rappers won't ever go back to that because they want the money and so all you do is insert the biggest person on the radio on your biggest song and go from there. That's how albums are constructed these days and it's boring.

To me Puffy is the reason Hip-Hop took a serious nose dive that it's still trying to recover from. He took rap into the bling-bling era and it hasn't come back since. He also started what is now the album of today and that's a compilation album. Just get the hottest MC's in the game and put them all over your album and it'll sell more but it doesn't actually show off the MC that you bought the album of. People need to go back to limited features and limited producers. People don't understand how important it is to have one producer do your whole album. It makes for a more coherent and cohesive sound and resonates years later because it's not disposable. Nas went back to it with his new album. Very few producers with one nice vibe all the way through and only one other guest star rapper. All we actually heard was Nas and that's what makes his album so complete to me.

But rappers won't ever go back to that because they want the money and so all you do is insert the biggest person on the radio on your biggest song and go from there. That's how albums are constructed these days and it's boring.

What? If anything he helped hip hop with the launch of BIG, yes it did commercialize and become a business, but this aint puffs fault, blame ringtone rappers, and people who dont love the music just tryin to make a quick dollar. Those are the ones u need to blame, puff did his part in the game already, look how he even got ross on a run, say no more

Last edited:
He also started what is now the album of today and that's a compilation album. Just get the hottest MC's in the game and put them all over your album and it'll sell more but it doesn't actually show off the MC that you bought the album of.

oh he started that did he?

...did he?
...DID HE?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom