Horry, 'nique, Vlade, Timmy, Wilkens & Kareem in Manila

MANILA, Philippines - Six NBA legends are coming to town and four of them will team up with D-Leaguers to play a PBA All-Star selection in a one-game Solar Sports production called the "NBA Asia Challenge" at the Araneta Coliseum on Sept. 11.

Ticketed to play are two-time slam dunk champion Dominique Wilkins, 49, 7-1 center Vlade Divac, 41, crossover killer Tim Hardaway, 43, and 16-year veteran Robert Horry, 38. The visitors will be coached by another legend Lenny Wilkens with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as a "celebrity assistant."

"It will be full-blown NBA experience," said Solar Sports' Vitto Lazatin. "Not only will the NBA legends be playing but the NBA is also putting together a nucleus of D-Leaguers with real NBA experience. Then, we've got the New Jersey Nets dancers coming, too. They're the NBA's only dancers who dunk - using a trampoline, of course. And if we're lucky, we might be able to bring in the Nets mascot Sly (the Silver) Fox to add to the NBA ambiance."

Lazatin said he has met with PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios on the possibility of a PBA All-Star selection facing the visitors. Nothing has been finalized as the PBA is busy with tomorrow's draft and the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tianjin on Aug. 6-16. But Lazatin said he's hoping the PBA could form a team of All-Stars with four legends, possibly, Alvin Patrimonio, Allan Caidic, Samboy Lim and Hector Calma.

Lazatin said it would be a fans' treat if Robert Jaworski could coach the PBA selection and face off against Wilkens and Abdul-Jabbar.

The NBA team will arrive Sept. 7. Mall tours, media appearances and clinics will precede the game. Solar is planning a press conference to announce the tour next week.

NBA Asia's Carlo Singson said he is suggesting the core of D-Leaguers to be composed of former PBA imports. In the NBA D-League last season, the PBA veterans were Earl Barron, Richie Frahm, Billy Thomas and Carlos Wheeler. Additionally, two players saw action in the recent PBA Fiesta Conference - David Noel of Barangay Ginebra and Gary Forbes of Talk 'N' Text. Former Michigan State point guard Mateen Cleaves, a six-pro NBA veteran, is also in the candidates list.

The game will be covered by Solar Sports and aired on a later date.

When told of the possibility of playing in the game the other day, Patrimonio said he'll start working back to shape right away. He welcomed the idea of combining forces with today's PBA stars in playing against a team of NBA legends and D-Leaguers.

Among the legends, a name that's familiar with NBA fans in this generation is Horry who was the Houston Rockets' first round draft pick in 1992 and played on seven NBA championship teams with Houston, the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio. He holds the Finals record for most steals - 7 - in a game and hit 7-of-7 triples in a playoff match against Utah in 1997. He retired at the end of the 2007-08 season. Technically, Horry is still not a "legend" but his qualifications point to eventually achieving the status.

Wilkins played in 15 NBA seasons with Atlanta, the Los Angeles Clippers, Boston, San Antonio and Orlando before retiring in 1999. He led the NBA in scoring with a 30.3 clip in 1986. Wilkins was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006.

Wilkens, 71, holds the record for most NBA career coaching wins at 1,332. He was the NBA All-Star Game MVP in 1971 and head coach of the US team that won the gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. Wilkens was elected to the Hall of Fame as a player in 1988 and coach in 1998. He piloted the Seattle SuperSonics to the NBA crown in 1979.

But the crowd-drawer will surely be the 62-year-old Abdul-Jabbar, now a Lakers assistant coach. He retired as a player in 1989 at 42 and still holds the NBA records for most points, most minutes played, most field goals made and most field goals attempted. Abdul-Jabbar played on three NCAA championship teams with UCLA and on six NBA title squads with Milwaukee (1971) and the Lakers (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988). It will be Abdul-Jabbar's fourth visit to Manila.

Lazatin said the final roster is still being negotiated but assured the NBA team will be competitive, no matter how old the players are.

Can't miss this
happy.gif

wow, nike should sponsor this event and make some limited edition or authographed merchs... hehehe

I need to go back in MNL and watch this!
eek.gif

On the 2nd thought, my boss will kill me. Kaya youtube nalang, tapos click full-screen.
laugh.gif

WOW!
pimp.gif
......can Nique still fly?......then paturuan natin kay Vlade ung mga centers natin dito sa pinas.....want to see Tim Hardaways killer crossover
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

NBA Generations defeat the PBA All-stars.109-86!
Dang! They were just too big.

Caidic had 5 Triples in the First Period.
Tim Hardaway almost Breaked Arboleda's Ankle maybe that's why Wynne never saw action after the First Quarter.
Dominique still has some Hops, He is still Dunking like he was 20 years younger.
Willie Miller was Superb today, He dribbles like Tim Hardaway..Well, Kinda
Magsanoc can still run 100km/h
D-League player Smith wearing the Hypermax and they were Covering the Nike Swossh, since Adidas was they're sponsor
The Redhead Dancing Diva of the Nets was Hot!

What else?

Oh Yeah, Some D-League player soared in the Air to block Yeo's Three Point Attempt! Goaltending. I Expected Yeo confronting that Guy afterwards, But HeDidnt. Also saw Rico getting Pissed off after a Player pulled his Shirt

and

The NBA Legends only Played in the 1st and 3rd Quarter.
Well, and umm..the Loss was pretty much Acceptable. We never played like there was something an Stake though.

P.S. Coach Yeng Guaio naka-upo lang, No Reaction kahit tambak. si Coach Gee pa ata nagpapasub or mga players lang din. Tumatayo lang si Yeng kapag andun ungDancing Divas!
wink.gif

just got home from the game, it was great, the Triggerman hit 5 3pointers, in one point, a 3 straight 3 pointers I think, Dominique Wilkins did dominate thegame scoring 28 points if I'm not mistaken, went to SM MOA yesterday too for the meet and greet, well the security was tight, you have to buy something atthe booth before the registration before you can go up the stage, but you are only allowed to ask for one auto of all the players, (really sucks though!) butluckily got the chance to ask Kareem and Dominique to sign the ball I bought from the Proline booth, Lia Cruz hosted the event, while during the game Sam Y Ghosted
smile.gif
spotted Slick and Tony Tony too after the game.

Dancing Divas were really great especially their dunking sessions
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jethro

NBA Generations defeat the PBA All-stars.109-86!
Dang! They were just too big.

Caidic had 5 Triples in the First Period.
Tim Hardaway almost Breaked Arboleda's Ankle maybe that's why Wynne never saw action after the First Quarter.
Dominique still has some Hops, He is still Dunking like he was 20 years younger.
Willie Miller was Superb today, He dribbles like Tim Hardaway..Well, Kinda
Magsanoc can still run 100km/h
D-League player Smith wearing the Hypermax and they were Covering the Nike Swossh, since Adidas was they're sponsor
The Redhead Dancing Diva of the Nets was Hot!

What else?

Oh Yeah, Some D-League player soared in the Air to block Yeo's Three Point Attempt! Goaltending. I Expected Yeo confronting that Guy afterwards, But He Didnt. Also saw Rico getting Pissed off after a Player pulled his Shirt

and

The NBA Legends only Played in the 1st and 3rd Quarter.
Well, and umm..the Loss was pretty much Acceptable. We never played like there was something an Stake though.

P.S. Coach Yeng Guaio naka-upo lang, No Reaction kahit tambak. si Coach Gee pa ata nagpapasub or mga players lang din. Tumatayo lang si Yeng kapag andun ung Dancing Divas!
wink.gif
pimp.gif
@ Timmy breaking ankles. I've met that Wynne dudehere in my office before. Cool guy... I would be honored to have my ankles broken by Timmy
laugh.gif

here are some pics i've took during the Meet & Greet as well as the Game last night

Enjoy!

img0596z.jpg
img0587j.jpg

img0588v.jpg
img0589f.jpg

img0590kg.jpg
img0625.jpg
img0599r.jpg
img0602d.jpg

img0606vk.jpg
img0607bb.jpg

img0613v.jpg
img0620p.jpg

img0624c.jpg

I watched the game last friday, even bought an oversized jersey lol nakakainis naubusan ako ng large.

Its just sad that the best shooter in the country is still caidic. Even watching them in shootaround, ibang level talaga yung acuracy. Even Magsanoc and pat were pretty good. You rarely see them miss two in a row during shootaround. Dondon is pretty good pero malayo parin talaga sa level nila Allan.

Just thinking of Benjie Paras guarding Divac makes me laugh

From the nba generations, at center 7 foot 1 Vlade Divac!
From the pba legends, one of the best centers in the pba, the only player to get ROY and MVP at the same season, The TOWER of POWER, six foot five, BenjieParas!
roll.gif

06235dc5efe1417e998a0a3908207fc4fd679af.pjpg
ce6252fe4342e9870a1033a5fa893f66d38af4f.pjpg

5ff3501ae93243d591c10de707795d0334ab37b.pjpg

9dd2562e484389ea0390be9f61e3c153267a781.pjpg
ce6252fe4342e9870a1033a5fa893f66d38af4f.pjpg
7282573ebc47e9d30800acaaf05125ac5352e29.pjpg
8f715ced4b90080986fd524730594248a40d497.pjpg

PBA execs, players get raw end of deal

By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MEMBERS OF THE PBA BOARD of governors and players of the PBA selection that faced the NBA Generation squad were up in arms after getting second-class treatmentfrom the organizers of the NBA Asia Challenge.

A PBA official who refused to be identified revealed that the number of tickets that was supposed to be allotted for members of the board and the players ofthe PBA selection was cut in half at the last minute-incidents which did not sit well with league officials.

Even sportswriters were miffed after being assigned seats in the Upper A section of the Araneta Coliseum, far from the action.

"It was some elementary matters which they failed to address," a PBA official told the Inquirer before tip-off.

"You don't need rocket-science knowledge to figure out that the PBA is the other half of the equation here and that its members should also be takencare of."

Making matters worse: The players' tickets were scattered in different sections of the Big Dome.

source: http://sports.inquirer.net/sportsev...-224816/PBA-execs-players-get-raw-end-of-deal

si allan hanggang balikat lang ni vlade divac! can't seem to find any videos of that game anywhere

Back
Top Bottom