Houston Texans Thread [23/24] #StroudBoys

Bill O'Brien really let his nuts hang after the first quarter in that game. He clearly saw a lot of my comments about him making us look like a 1950's offense :lol: Whether it's him, Kelly, or both, the play-calling was very nice, and the crazy thing is there were points still left on the board. Don't even care about the points scored late by the Pats. The Texans basically manhandled and frustrated the Pats for almost the entire game. That score isn't at all the reflection of what actually happened. So many guys showed up and raised their level of play last night. On to Denver now. Can't have a let down vs them. The Texans have every opportunity in front of him. Home for Denver, @ the Titans, @ the Bucs, and home for the Titans. Win every one of those no matter who is on the field.

Also, glad they got the win while doing this, or else it would've been varsity jacket gate 2.0 :lol: (even though the linebackers have been dressing up all year)

1575347028464.png

1575347040956.png

1575347064923.png

1575347081570.png

I feel like Bleacher Report rarely has good non-wrestling based articles, but I feel like this is an actually good and relevant one.

No One's Laughing at Bill O'Brien's Front Office Moves in Houston Anymore

The following Houston Texans column is not about any of these usual Texans topics:
  • What an excellent young quarterback/MVP candidate Deshaun Watson is;
  • Whether DeAndre Hopkins is the NFL's best wide receiver or merely one of the top two or three;
  • J.J. Watt, Hall of Famer/humanitarian/beloved-cultural-icon-in-absentia.
In fact, this column is barely about the Texans' Big Three at all.

This is a column about (gasp) other Texans players making significant contributions and (deeper gasp) what a good job Bill O'Brien is doing as both a coach and (wheezing hyperventilation) personnel guy.

It's a column we never thought would be written.

The Texans are 8-4 and coming off a convincing Sunday night win over the Patriots, a game covered nationally, as usual, as a stunning Patriots defeat, not a major victory for [insert less-celebrated opponent here]. Having beaten the Chiefs earlier in the season, the Texans are on the inside track to the third seed in the AFC playoffs.

Not bad for a team supposedly being mismanaged by a mad tyrant willing to strip-mine the future for a win or two.

The Texans fired general manager Brian Gaine in June, replacing him with a subcommittee of O'Brien yes-men: personnel majordomo Jack Easterby, cap guru Chris Olsen and bass guitarist Matt Bazirgan*. Soon after seizing absolute power, O'Brien and his Scooby Gang traded All-Pro defender Jadeveon Clowney for a third-round pick and some bit players.

For an encore, O'Brien and the Pips traded away the entire future of Texans football (two first-round picks and a 2021 second-rounder, to be precise), for left tackle Laremy Tunsil, who has never been confused with Orlando Pace. Other trades were scattered across the summer and early autumn, all of them drawing some measure of criticism.

It sure looked like O'Brien was flying by the seat of his pants. And perhaps he was. But his moves have paid off, at least in the short term:

• Tunsil has played well and stabilized the Texans offensive line. Watson was sacked 62 times last year but is on pace for a less-cataclysmic 47 sacks this season.
  • Receiver Kenny Stills, the rarely mentioned spare change thrown into the Tunsil trade, has 30 catches for 461 yards and two touchdowns this season, including 3-61-1 in the Patriots victory.
  • Running back Duke Johnson Jr., acquired from the Browns in August for a conditional mid-round pick, also caught a touchdown pass against the Patriots and has 679 scrimmage yards this season.
  • Carlos Hyde, acquired in a trade for lineman Martinas Rankin at the end of the preseason, is seventh in the AFC with 853 rushing yards and a more-than-respectable 4.6 yards per carry.
  • Cornerback Gareon Conley, a Raiders 2017 first-round pick who appeared to be going bust, has played surprisingly well as a starter since coming to Houston in October in exchange for yet another mid-round pick.
  • The defense surely misses Clowney, especially with Watt out for the year, but step-up performances by Whitney Mercilus, D.J. Reader and others have softened the blow.
bleacherreport.com/articles/2865114-no-ones-laughing-at-bill-obriens-front-office-moves-in-houston-anymore

Last edited:
Fuller out today mostly as a precaution. I’m cool with resting him here and there down the stretch cause he surely will be needed for the playoffs. Time for Stills, Carter, and even Coutee to make a move.

Had to know this let down game was coming. Puts more pressure on them now if Tennessee wins this afternoon.

The Texans emphasized that their depth at cornerback prompted them to rotate more than usual last Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

The strategy didn't work, though, as the Texans lost 38-24 and yielded 309 passing yards and three touchdown passes to rookie quarterback Drew Lock in his second NFL start.

The Texans replaced starters Bradley Roby and Johnathan Joseph in the second quarter. Roby played 45 snaps (76 percent participation), Joseph and Gareon Conley each played 30 snaps (51 percent) with nickel back Vernon Hargreaves getting 28 snaps (47 percent) and rookie Lonnie Johnson Jr. appearing in 14 snaps (24 percent).

"We planned to rotate a little bit," Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. "We have more corners that can play now than we've ever had before. We wanted to get everybody a little taste and see what they can do. I think that helps our evaluation. That helps the competition in the room and stay a little fresher as well."

Roby has the only interception by a Texans corner this season, picking off New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

"I don't have any comment on that," Roby said when asked about the playing time. "I don't make decisions. You've got to ask the coaches on that one."

Having depth is fine, but you also need to have an actual gameplan for guys to be in the right places. RAC did a great job with the plays last week, but it doesn't absolve him from what's happened far too often this season. I feel like the problems with this defense is more scheme than actual talent.

Coutee inactive for today’s game, which is expected due to Fuller being back and Coutee being practically directly responsible in aiding in that loss.

This was probably my favorite play of the game

They haven't gotten fooled on any S/T play ever since that disaster vs Blaine Gabbert last year.

Can't take the Bucs likely. They've been on a bit of a roll for a couple weeks now. This is a game where they need to jump on the Bucs even more than they jumped on the Titans. They have a very good offense, but there's no reason why the Texans can't make Winston look as rattled as he was early in the season.

I know it’s probably wise to rest Watson, but I kind of wanted him to play to keep a rhythm. I can’t remember where I read it, either online or in the chronicle, but Watson doesn’t get a whole lot of practice reps because the team wants to limit him to keep him healthy. That kind of explains why they have those games where he looks out of sync with the offense at times.

Would just like to see them keep a rhythm going into their playoff game. Would also like them to win and eliminate Tenn because that’s who they’d face next week if Tenn wins. Don’t want them having any momentum and it’s tough playing a division opponent, nonetheless 3 times.

If the pattern continues...
7EE67EBD-A66D-4208-8FBC-1131012097C6.jpeg
867D864F-EE29-457B-B61B-9B62087969F3.jpeg

....sign me up :lol:

Great that Watt is back, but losing Gipson in the final game sucks. I never even knew he left the field due to being hurt, I thought he was just through with his reps for the game.

The Texans have plenty of guys to get the ball to. Just play exactly how we know they can play, beat the Bills, then move on.

I really think this is the last season we see Fuller as a Texan. Unless the Texans win this week, comes back next week and balls out all the way to the SB, I just don’t see them willing to pay for a guy who misses as much time as he has.

Kenny Stills has become as important to the Texans in that trade, as Tunsil has due to fuller being out as much as he has.

I really think this is the last season we see Fuller as a Texan. Unless the Texans win this week, comes back next week and balls out all the way to the SB, I just don’t see them willing to pay for a guy who misses as much time as he has.

Kenny Stills has become as important to the Texans in that trade, as Tunsil has due to fuller being out as much as he has.

They’ll pick up his option and draft another WR high to be his insurance policy and replacement

Looks like we saw what the Texans were capable of (in a positive way) for about a quarter. I thought we were about to see some back and forth action all day, but instead we got taken to the woodshed once again, and it looked like some of these guys have never been on the field before. David Johnson, Fuller, and PJ Hall were honestly the biggest standouts the entire game. Shouldn't have been that way. Some of that play I know was due to this being such an anomaly of a season with their being no preseason games, along with the Texans making such drastic changes this offseason. Still, that reflects very poorly on coaching. of capacity. Also, I don't know how you have false starts in a stadium with under a 1/4. That seems lazy and undisciplined. The Chiefs also didn't have your usual offseason, but looked like they were well into week 10 on the field. It doesn't get any easier next week vs Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, but you surely have a live game under your belt and should expect to be better.

While Tunsil is being a stud, they need to figure out whether they want Tytus to be a tackle or a guard (he clearly should be the latter).

Also, with this injury, they'll need to either bring somebody else in, or elevate somebody. I was kind of iffy on them just keeping 3 backs anyway, especially since they had Cullen as an inactive.

I’m not even sure if Deshaun was even holding the ball all that long on these pressures. The right side of getting eaten up

So which week are we throwing in the towel cause I have 0 faith in this team as long as O'Brien is the coach. He's even making Deshaun look like he's regressing

F this team/owner/management.

not sure how anyone can get behind this team right now and this coming from a lifelong Houstonian and Houston only sports fan.

Gonna have to pick a new nfl team to support.

hopefully I’m not bumping the wrong thread.

No need for this thread to exist, nor any feature Texans threads if they do go this route with a trade. I’m not having anything to do with this team anymore. They spit in our faces long enough. It’s either entirely new management , or a different Houston team in the NFL. The m purging myself of the Texans, and I’d suggest the entire Texans fanbase to do the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom