How a single mother survives on $7.50/hr

Various reasons. Mainly just because they don't know how. Who's going to tell them? we don't have black finance people or entrepreneurs going into the lower income areas and holding free seminars on how to open an act, save money balance a check book etc

If the parents don't know how, it's not going to be passed down to the kids. We see big places that say checks cashed money now. So they use that instead.
I didn't know opening an account needed to be taught/told to someone. 

I guess I see what you are saying my mother had an account for me before I even knew what a bank was for. So it seems second nature to me.

I guess I see what you are saying my mother had an account for me before I even knew what a bank was for. So it seems second nature to me.
i dont think its necessarily that they need to be taught how to open one, its that they need to be taught the value of a bank account and why its important. 

a lot of people don't open bank accounts because they don't trust other people with their money

a lot of people don't open bank accounts because they don't trust other people with their money

I don't know anyone that would take cash for rent these days. I mean unless you are doing cashiers checks every month, you'd at least have a bank account to write a check. Also it helps with your credit as well just to setup bill pays and what not but I guess that is only for people that have some sort of incentive to want things in the future that requires loans and what not.

This makes more sense. 
its things like this that people who arent in poverty need to understand. there are so many things that we benefit and are raised to value inherently. Like education for example. middle class and upper middle class people see everyday just how important an education is and what it can do for you. which is why a lot of public schools in the suburbs thrive and a large percentage of those kids go on to higher education. But in poor areas where schools are underfunded to the point where there arent enough books or computers and the teachers are hired to be baby sitters and not instructors who cultivate intellect where are students supposed to find the value in education? Especially if like i said earlier the most successsful people they know are a drug dealer and mcdonalds shift manager making 12 bucks an hour?

its all about context

Well, there is a reason why those schools are underfunded...but this thread isn't about that so I won't go there.

i dont think its necessarily that they need to be taught how to open one, its that they need to be taught the value of a bank account and why its important. 

This makes more sense.

The other reason sounded like some ludicrous excuse.

:rolleyes at not knowing how to open a bank account. But they know how to get a phone line?

Come on fam.
How is it a ludicrous excuse? How does the 17 year old kid know that it makes more sense to get a bank acct with direct deposit than take his check to the check cashing place and pay a fee. And then which bank acct to get that doesn't take fees out every month et. If it was so ludicrous, why are check cashing places and places that do money orders thriving

Most people learn those things from their parents

Last edited:

Well, there is a reason why those schools are underfunded...but this thread isn't about that so I won't go there.
but you understand where I'm coming from right? we can all sit and talk about all day what we would and how we would do it in their situation from a place of privilege. But what shaped the way we think isnt their reality

I don't know anyone that would take cash for rent these days. I mean unless you are doing cashiers checks every month, you'd at least have a bank account to write a check. Also it helps with your credit as well just to setup bill pays and what not but I guess that is only for people that have some sort of incentive to want things in the future that requires loans and what not.
you don't have to convince me im just telling you peoples pov

but you understand where I'm coming from right? we can all sit and talk about all day what we would and how we would do it in their situation from a place of privilege. But what shaped the way we think isnt their reality
In college I did an internship with the Philadelphia school district and we had to visit and evaluate schools. What I saw didn't make any damn sense. Then I'm supposed to go with a straight face and evaluate the elementary schools. I'm like I just watched an ill equipped teacher try to corral 11 year olds for 2 hours and nothing got done. And even if they did do stuff the books were so old what's the point

Last edited:
In college I did an internship with the Philadelphia school district and we had to visit and evaluate schools. What I saw didn't make any damn sense. Then I'm supposed to go with a straight face and evaluate the elementary schools. I'm like I just watched an ill equipped teacher try to corral 11 year old for 2 hours and nothing got done. And even if they did do stuff the books were so old what's the point
a couple of my friends did the city year program in philly so they were actually in the class rooms all day and all week. i remember being so shocked at what they were telling me because it was just that unbelievable. 

Yup, and the stories about how people got shafted gets passed down and there seem to be no importance of getting the facts when you're too busy dealing w/ life. Same goes for life insurance.

What does it matter what she did after high school if the answer people are lookingnformis college ....well most people arent motovated to seek.higher education.... not from her self.but from her surroundings. It not easy to break.from a cyclical life of poverty with out some help

Welp that sounds like her problem then. I'm sure there are thousands of people of every race in that situation and try to better themselves no matter what.

It's okay to stop blaming everything else and look at the persons choices. I know the motto on NT is to blame everyone else

Welp that sounds like her problem then. I'm sure there are thousands of people of every race in that situation and try to better themselves no matter what.

It's okay to stop blaming everything else and look at the persons choices. I know the motto on NT is to blame everyone else

Except that's not true. The majority (70%) of people that are born poor stay poor. Personal responsibility plays a part to a point but if the majority of people born poor stay poor than that's the way the system is designed to function. Or maybe they're just all lazy and are choosing to be poor.
131112174947-income-brackets-tl-614xa.png

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/11/13/making-it-into-the-middle-class/

http://national.deseretnews.com/art...eople-get-out-of-poverty-and-others-dont.html

Last edited:
To all the people who are asking why she isn't looking for better paid employment, I think in her situation it is probably very easy to lose hope and therefore motivation when every day is such a grind.

Yeah I see, it makes sense...no matter where you are in life if someone can't get you to understand why something is valuable you will consider it to be worthless.

I wasn't blaming anyone I was stating a fact. in the nature v nutured aspect of being poor you its a tough battle when
A) nature is everybody poor and you don't see anything within your grasp that's better
b) nuture aspect mean if I do well then I have to leave this environment but deal with guilt or self sabotage ie

Truth...A pre paid phone would do just fine, and there are $50 plans out there.
actually if people are on assistance they get free cells phones..... basic phones with like 500 mins a month but they do give them out for free. 

single mothers have it easy. look at the homeless rates for women compared to men. sorry but no sympathy for single mothers...they have so many programs that help single mothers not to mentions all the dudes who ready to save them and be step daddy for women who offer nothing but warm p. 

i see my *** sister who is a single mother always complaining shes broke and shes busted af

. has three different dudes who give her $$$, she gets child support and has a job making 60k a year.

Last edited:
Yeah I see, it makes sense...no matter where you are in life if someone can't get you to understand why something is valuable you will consider it to be worthless.

It doesn't have to just be one person telling them that something has value. That value needs context. Telling someone college is important to move upward in life is one thing but having access to someone who actually used their education to become successful is also just as important. If that makes sense

It doesn't have to just be one person telling them that something has value. That value needs context. Telling someone college is important to move upward in life is one thing but having access to someone who actually used their education to become successful is also just as important. If that makes sense

I agree you cant break the cycle if you don't see it in front of you.

fast food worker should get paid 15 an hour. why because ish is expensive with or with out government aide

Funny thing is, once u said that there are other jobs that don't take a genius to do but get paid more, a sanitation worker was the first thing to come to mind. The argument about not needing a lot of skill can be applied to a lot more jobs that give more pay. It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to learn how to answer phones, copy papers, sit at a desk all day but secretaries still get paid more than your avg fast food employee.
C'mon Steezy, you doing a lil too much bro. One of the things that's stopping her from getting a sanitation gig could be the fact that there are really no jobs open in that field. They get paid good money and don't work as hard, who'd leave that. Even city/state/fed jobs, really require no real skill or effort and the jobs are all sewn up because the pay is decent.

I believe that minimum wage should be flexible to reflect cost of living in ones area. $20/hr would be good for somewhere like NY because it cost like $4000 for an efficiency
laugh.gif
but somewhere like Philly, $10/hr would suffice.
Dude lives in a bubble man.

Dudes just so untouched with reality that it's surprising them why certain things don't happen.

I know in NY any government assistance is given to you on a prepaid debit card. Why open a bank account that you have to pay for when you have under a certain amount in there when you have no money? :lol:

Making a phone bill $50 instead of $100 wont make anybody poor less poor, let's be real

Why do people keep saying get more assistance? Am I the only one who would rather someone get paid more from their job rather than them getting paid from my taxes?

Didn't know that only banks with minimum balance requirements existed.

It's not being out of touch with reality, my reality isn't anyone else's and vice versa. 

Just asking a question.

Back
Top Bottom