How come Paul Pierce gets no respect?

He is not Hall of Fame worthy and if he is inducted its because he's a loyal celtic
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Carry on.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

I don't really see him complaining that often. He has stepped up the flopping in the last year it seems. The up fake/lean in has been in his repertoire for years now.

And not making the HOF? Get outta here with that. He's probably cracking the top 50 soon if he hasn't already.
Top 50 what? Whiners? pre-pubescent grown men? Clowns? I know you're not talking top 50 players of all time.

I don't really see him complaining that often. He has stepped up the flopping in the last year it seems. The up fake/lean in has been in his repertoire for years now.

And not making the HOF? Get outta here with that. He's probably cracking the top 50 soon if he hasn't already.
Is he even a top 10 Celtic?

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Yea, I'd put him 7th right now.

Bird, McHale, Havlicek, Cowens, Russell, Cousy ahead of him.

he is ahead of mchale. like someone said bird, russell, and hondo will not be topped. he is going to be top 5 when it is all said and done. and as far as hof goes, if you put a guy like dominique, you put a guy like pierce in also.

Yea, I'd put him 7th right now.

Bird, McHale, Havlicek, Cowens, Russell, Cousy ahead of him.
Ok...

Now...if they win (God, please don't let them beat us AGAIN)... and KG has 2 rings as a Celt (and a better career all in all), are we not supposed to put KG on that list of great Celts because he's only had 3 seasons? I mean, I can see it going either way honestly.... It's the same with Allen. Do they count? And as for Rondo.... if we include Allen and KG, who have both had arguably much better careers than Pierce, and then we assume Rondo wins this ring (God no!) and continues to be what he's become..would THAT bump Paul down the list AGAIN?

I say that to say Paul Pierce is not a top 50 player in the NBA by reason of his not even being a top..I dunno... 5 player on his own team. He's GREAT in context, but "of all time!" ain't his context.

He's a good player...not great...I hate the whole Celtics team because most of them are great fakers...They act so much they should be in movies...like everyone said they take a little nudge and they are on the floor like if they got shot
roll.gif

if we include Allen and KG, who have both had arguably much better careers than Pierce
How has Ray had a much better career than Pierce?

Originally Posted by JD617

if we include Allen and KG, who have both had arguably much better careers than Pierce

Now I'm not a numbers guy... but.. I'll just say this. Allen and Pierce both put up massive buckets on losing teams for a long time. Both were go to guys that never quite got it done. Their stories are kinda similar.. it just depends on who you want to favor as far as who's done what IMO. Pierce ain't THAT much different than T-mac. Neither is Ray. T-mac just never got over.

Now I'm not a numbers guy... but.. I'll just say this. Allen and Pierce both put up massive buckets on losing teams for a long time. Both were go to guys that never quite got it done. Their stories are kinda similar.. it just depends on who you want to favor as far as who's done what IMO. Pierce ain't THAT much different than T-mac. Neither is Ray. T-mac just never got over.

You are a #'s guy because you looked at Pau's double-doubles in the 08' NBA Finals and said he had a good series. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You are a #'s guy because you looked at Pau's double-doubles in the 08' NBA Finals and said he had a good series. 
Chill. I didn't say that.. I just refuse to blame ONE man for bad TEAM play. Try again. Two bigs banging on one Pau and a tall SF in LO is not the same as Bynum+Gasol+ benga + LO verses that same front line or even this new improved one from this season. Everyone blamed Pau for being pushed around. I don't. He had twice the responsibility he deserve to shoulder because there was no other capable Big. And it's not like the Lakers didn't plan on having some help for him at the end of the season, but injury deaded that. If the Lakers had a healthy front line, rotations and help D would have been more effective..duh.. that's bassic team sports logic. You can never just blame one guy..especially when that one guy is adapting to a lack of support from his fellow starting big.

I say that to say Paul Pierce is not a top 50 player in the NBA by reason of his not even being a top..I dunno... 5 player on his own team. He's GREAT in context, but "of all time!" ain't his context.

Not the best argument because of who the Celtics are.
50greatest.jpg

Look at this top 50 @ 50 photo. 20% of these guys have green jackets.

Originally Posted by Girl thats Jules

hes tougher than kobe

and has never given up on his team like kobe has all those times.
(kay slay) DAMN ! (kay slay)

Not the best argument because of who the Celtics are.
50greatest.jpg

Look at this top 50 @ 50 photo. 20% of these guys have green jackets.
I hear you, but I'm certain you hear me too.

I'd tend to give Pierce the edge in career playoff performances before Allen came to Boston esp when you look at the supporting casts.

Originally Posted by RP805

He's a good player...not great...I hate the whole Celtics team because most of them are great fakers...They act so much they should be in movies...like everyone said they take a little nudge and they are on the floor like if they got shot
roll.gif
you do know that you have sasha and fisher on the lakers right? those are the ultimate floppers

Originally Posted by outkast9984

Originally Posted by RP805

roll.gif
you do know that you have sasha and fisher on the lakers right? those are the ultimate floppers
Chill. Sasha uniform didn't even come with Shorts this season
laugh.gif

This is a bit of a loaded question, but I guess those tend to get more replies.

I think anyone (hyperbole) who watches Pierce play respects his basketball skill level. I also think that anyone who respects the game of baskeball tends to grow tired of Pierce's antics once the post-season spotlight is on him.  

Ginobili has a bit of the same problem. He is a fantastic player on many levels, but his flopping hurts his reputation. I found it so odd that touch-fouls lay the guy out like a Mack truck, but he stands up immediately to check a legitimately broken nose. Even though it displayed toughness, I had to knock off more points due to his past antics.

A guy like Varejao should have a following basde on his game, not his hair. He hustles and has a nose for the ball. The flopping negates a lot of the respect I would have for him.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

that and..
Kobe+Bryant+defends+Paul+Pierce+who+tries+to+draw+a+foul.jpg

is why I could never "like" the guy.

He's clutch, a great shooter, etc. and I won't insult his talent or say he's a bum, however he utilizes flopping, crying, and makes the slightest bump seem like he is getting tazed.� He can play for sure, but he doesn't play the right way to me.� And it goes beyond the superstar calls or soft league we play in, Pierce abuses that.

Cosign 100% reading this almost felt like I posted it earlier and forgot. EXACTLY how I feel.

what HOF is Pierce a lock for?

players that put up numbers for horrible teams dont and never will get respect which they never should. and from his years maken the playoffs everyone just remembers him and walker chucking all game.

Good player?? yes, a superstar?? HELL NO

but he should get respect for what he is doing this year
thats what i said in the thread Shugs bring up and it still holds

he was on avg boston team with only him and walker and he was able to chuck up shots and get points and lead boston to NOTHING other then one trip to the ECF. when the going got tough in boston him and walker would go MIA. he had the same rap on him like KG and Ray allen had, would never be able to lead his team with HIM been the man and would do little to nothing in big games

do i give him credit for win the boston 3 got togther he grew some balls and put that team on his back at key times? hell yeah but lets not act like he has been a superstar his whole career and nobody has given him credit

pierce has no weakness in his game

offense is great

defense is good

rebounding is good

just a lot of hating in this forum

Back
Top Bottom