How come Tony Parker doesnt get mentioned as one of top pgs???

Did anyone see him tonight he was unstoppable...and I was just thinking he does this all the time but never really gets any attention for it.....maybe cuz heplays on the spurs and duncan and ginobili never get as much attention as you'd think...Usually when people talk about the best pg's in the league itsalways cp3, nash, dwill, bd, be4 tony parker....and he has 3 rings and he was finals mvp last year...I mean he's the quickness, can penetrate atwill....can get assists, floater is unstoppable, he plays d, has the mid range....the only thing he can do is hit the 3...and he isn't even THAT bad atit...

tonight was his career high...he doesnt play like that all the time..
plus he has the best player possible for the pick n roll game

He is one of the best PGs in the game in my opinion. But knightngale is right, yesterday was an exception, don'texpect those kind of #s from him every game.

Not the best point in the league. The top PGs is still Paul, Nash, and Deron. Iverson puts up better numbers but I wouldnt consider him a point.

cuz he's not, not on that level anyway (CP3, Deron, Nash, etc).

And that Finals MVP was a joke...He's good, but he's on that second tier...

And that Finals MVP was a joke...

no it wasnt. he may not be the best player to win the Finals MVP, but he earned that.

now as for Parker being one of the top PGs? Parker is not even CLOSE.

Chris Paul: 21.1 PPG, 11.6 APG
Deron Williams: 18.8 PPG, 10.5 APG
Steve Nash: 16.9 PPG, 11.1 APG

Tony Parker: 18.8 PPG, 6.0 APG

hmmm... something is not quite right there..

HE ONLY AVERAGES 6 APG, how the hell can he be considered in the same category with those guys? Parker is not even top 15 in the league in APG. he's noteven better than Baron Davis, you should have made this thread about him.

Honestly I looked at Tony's assists numbers then I watched a game and I seen that I like when a team doesnt have a player with high assists numbers. Itmeans he isnt pounding the ball into the ground.

Tony and Manu's jobs are to score and create a few opps for teammates.

no it wasnt. he may not be the best player to win the Finals MVP, but he earned that.
not to say he didnt have a good series, but if you even think for a minute that Parker was more valuable to his team than Tim Duncan was in thatseries, I dunno what to tell you...

cuz hes french and has longoria ... why does he need something else to seis his day lik ebeing a top pg?

He's a second-tier player. But using the low assists number doesn't tell much because the ball moves through Duncan so much and the Spurs play a verycontrolled offense as opposed to some of the other top point guards.

i see TP will NEVER get the credit he deserves. IMO he's one of the top pg's in the league. He plays on a good team so he's not going to put up thecrazy stats...

None of the pg's everyone mentions above him will have as many rings as TP9 does at his age..

I have NEVER given dude credit for anything.

But that man was goin OFF last night. In a pick and roll situation with him and Duncan, there's nothing you can do. He's finally developed the jumperto keep teams honest, and his speed with a jumper is deadly.

He's still not in the top-tier, though.

TP is one the best PGs in the league. He's in the top 5. Just don't allow performances against the no defense Suns to support your case.

CP3's trouncing of the Mavs was solid. The Mavs are a great defensive team and CP3 made them look like a bottom 10 defensive team. The Mavs amped it up athome and clamped down on Paul. They did what you have to do to weaken Paul. Make him go to his left hand.

TP has the ideal game to tear the Suns apart. Because the Suns defense is "do not foul" it opens the lane for all kinds of penetration. The Pistons,Sixers, and Celtics all went into Phoenix this year and blew out the Suns by owning the paint with guard play.

The thing that makes the Spurs so great, and by extension all their players, is Popovich and his staff. They just know how to defeat opponents. They'reversatile enough to match with anyone, but they're core is Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Bowen. The fact that all three of these players are above averageindividual defenders and elite team defenders only furthers their legacy as one of the best core groups in NBA history.

He's a second-tier player.
laugh.gif
Yeah right. He's one of the top players in theleague.

People on this board rather have 13 assists than a W
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

How is this guy not a top tier PG? He can do anything, and now that hes developed a jumper hes so hard to defend. he does exactly what is asked of him from hiscoach. Pop doesnt need him goin off for 25 and 10 dimes a night, so he doesnt. Hes going to win another title and what are yall going to say then? Hes nearlyunstoppable in the playoffs

He isn't one of the top pgs in my opinions. He might be top 10. The only reason he went off like that was because the Suns guards can't plays D iftheir lives depend on it. Sorry, I don't thinkBell could D's really do anything to stops his speed either. The other reason is the Tim Duncan factor.He is the reason why the Spurs are that good. Without, Timmy, Tony would never even be on a winning that much games. Hell, I don't even think he will shoot50 percent if Tim wasn't on the team. He is like Stephen Jackson to BD. Riding on his backside while the leaders lead the way that it.

I dont know why people are comparing one game against the suns. He gets in the lane whenever he wants against everybody. It took me along time to respect dude,he did work hard with chip to develop a shot. As long as he gets more rings thats fine with me.

Parker is underrated, but he's not one of the best point guards. He's not asked to do as much as the top point guards in the league (Paul, Nash,Deron, etc.). His responsibilities just aren't as numerous as the others. Like I said before, he might be able to put up 8+ APG, but the Spurs play avery controlled offense with the ball going through Duncan most of the time. Given what we do know and what we do see, he's a step below the top pointguards. He should be getting more respect for a point guard, though. Why do I get the feeling most of the people here have only seen a couple Spurs games?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

And that Finals MVP was a joke...

now as for Parker being one of the top PGs? Parker is not even CLOSE.

Chris Paul: 21.1 PPG, 11.6 APG
Deron Williams: 18.8 PPG, 10.5 APG
Steve Nash: 16.9 PPG, 11.1 APG

Tony Parker: 18.8 PPG, 6.0 APG

hmmm... something is not quite right there..

HE ONLY AVERAGES 6 APG, how the hell can he be considered in the same category with those guys? Parker is not even top 15 in the league in APG. he's not even better than Baron Davis, you should have made this thread about him.
laugh.gif
Who the hell cares about assists, the guy has 3 rings, afinals MVP, and he can run circles around Steve Nash. This is a classic case of stat geeks overanalyzing numbers. Nobody on the Spurs puts up big stats, theyjust play their roles in the system and nothing more. Ginobili doesn't even start, it's strictly a team concept with the Spurs. Duncan doesn'teven average 20 points a game anymore, so he's not a top player?

laugh.gif
Baron Davis?? Is that supposed to be a joke

bc Mark Jackson(or whoever it was JVG?) didn't bring it up AGAIN until yesterday. this discussion occurred after last finals when he was named MVP too..

not that it's wrong to go with a point or agree, but don't you find it funny when a NT post is a continuation of an analyst's comments(disguised asan original thread without credit to the analyst who got you thinking?)

isn't this what was talked about last night at the end of the game on ESPN?

Back
Top Bottom