how do you feel about the NBA one and done rule ??

I really don't know where to start with this.
but i know the NBA (stern and owners) are thinking about changing it

I'm fence sitting on whether players should to go college for 2 or 3 years or straight to the pros

let them go straight out of high school:

water down the league

bad knees when theyre 30

not produce really until theyre 20-21 (exception lebron)

able to provide for family

make them go to college for 2 or 3 years:

taking away from kids money 

-no one complains about 16 yr old tennis stars, child actors, toddlers and tiaras, etc

college game gets better (think of some of the dudes that could be still be in college)

where's your stance on this ? 

would you change the rule from 1 and done?

it waters down the league, cause you have these bad teams that stay bad because they miss with these players with "potential" and have to wait 3-5 years for them to develop a game and an NBA ready body that they would be farther along with in college.

NBA prob has some of the worst structure in sports when it comes to the draft.

they gotta tie it with the NBDL or something

cuban proposed a decent idea about it

I am not a fan. I don't like how the NBA micromanages everything really. Fining JR Smith for tweeting a picture of his girlfriend's booty is beyond ridiculous.

Don't really have a problem with but I also wouldn't oppose it if we're to change. (back to high school or a 2 or 3 year wait.)

Besides the actual draft lottery, I don't have a problem with the NBA Draft either. Teams just have to scout better.

as a fan, i wish it was 2 years

personally, you should be able to go to the league whenever you can.. if you're 12 and good enough to make it, you should be able to

[h1]Mark Cuban not fan of 1 and done[/h1]

Updated: April 8, 2012, 10:00 AM ET

DALLAS -- NBA commissioner David Stern and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, a pair of basketball power brokers who have differed on plenty of topics over the years, agree that they'd like to get rid of the one-and-done trend with draft prospects.

[h4]SportsNation: One-and-done trend[/h4]
espn_sportsnation_80.gif
Do you agree with Mark Cuban that players should have to wait three years before declaring for the draft? 
• Cast your vote!

The rules currently require an American player to be at least 19 years old and a year out of high school before he can declare for the NBA draft, which is why the lottery is littered with phenoms coming off their college freshman seasons each year.

Stern said Tuesday that he'd like to add a year to the rule. Cuban wants to take it a step further, requiring players to wait three years after their high school class graduates to become draft-eligible.

"I just think there's every good reason to do it, which is obviously why we didn't do it," Cuban said sarcastically, adding that Kentucky fans were the only people who like the one-and-done concept.

It's a moot point unless the players' union agrees to change the draft-eligibility rules, something the NBA didn't make a priority while negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement during the lockout. At this point, the union has agreed only to form a committee to discuss changes.

i
I just think there's a lot more kids that get ruined coming out early or going to school trying to be developed to come out early than actually make it.

Stern & the owners are just complaining because of money issues.

They want to make it like the NFL where players have to stay 3 years in college but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

Stern already acknowledged they would have to give something significate back to the NBA Players association in the CBA to get it changed.

NCAA really does not care because they make a crap load of $$$ every year off March Madness regardless if it's 1 year and done for college basketball players. Especially as long as the NCAA continues to not have to pay college athletes.

Cubans right though.

they need to change the draft and that rigged lottery, it would be better for basketball on both the college and pro level.

I think letting them come straight out of high school or one and done is the right thing to do. Making guys basically play for free while schools get rich off of them is wrong.  Maybe if the NCAA would look the other way while guys got benefits, I guess staying for 3 years would be ok.  But the NCAA right now is a joke for the student-atheletes. Also NBA GMs should have the discpline not to take the high school or freshamn guys or at least lower their value

I wish it was 2-3 years because I'm a huge CBB fan, but it's whatever. Rather it be one than none.

If I'm a player though, I don't like it. The REASON you go to a university/college is to prepare yourself and take the next step towards your career. If the NBA is truly these guys' careers, why should they have to go to college? If a team is willing to take a chance on them and the player wants to enter the draft at 18, why should there be anything stopping it? By keeping these guys in college we're just saving the GMs from themselves. It's like giving them a handicap cause they can't do their proper assessments before a guy goes to college.

It should be 3 and done!!! Ok 2 an done.

College basketball is beyond horrible now. Making kids stay there longer would improve the game so much.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

they gotta tie it with the NBDL or something
I always thought let these top ranked hs players play in the d-league. Let them make some type of money instead of just one year of college.

To me it should be either d-league or spend 2 years in college let them decide. I don't know how long you let them stay in the d-league though. But you would for sure get more guys going to the d-league and raise money in those small area markets. And college basketball talent wise would be the same. My thoughts.

Originally Posted by JPZx

I wish it was 2-3 years because I'm a huge CBB fan, but it's whatever. Rather it be one than none.

If I'm a player though, I don't like it. The REASON you go to a university/college is to prepare yourself and take the next step towards your career. If the NBA is truly these guys' careers, why should they have to go to college? If a team is willing to take a chance on them and the player wants to enter the draft at 18, why should there be anything stopping it? By keeping these guys in college we're just saving the GMs from themselves. It's like giving them a handicap cause they can't do their proper assessments before a guy goes to college.
you can honestly sit there and tell me you have can evaluate a player from 1 year of college ball? and depending on where they played and the talent they played against?

you have 1 year of college ball and maybe a march madness run, on a 18/19 yr old kid. who alot of times are raw and just making it off athletic ability alone?

yea good luck.
laugh.gif

I think letting them come straight out of high school or one and done is the right thing to do. Making guys basically play for free while schools get rich off of them is wrong.  Maybe if the NCAA would look the other way while guys got benefits, I guess staying for 3 years would be ok.  But the NCAA right now is a joke for the student-atheletes. Also NBA GMs should have the discpline not to take the high school or freshamn guys or at least lower their value

i hate this excuse, few schools make money off college athletics, and for every 1 and done, theres 3-4 guys who stay on that team and get a college degree, so its not like they are playing for free.

There shouldn't even be one mandatory year.

They can fight for the country, well then let them play in the NBA... It's not like it's as physical as the NFL

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

They can fight for the country, well then let them play in the NBA... It's not like it's as physical as the NFL

o rly?

i would love to see Anthony davis back down dwight howard right now.

It has really diluted the college product IMO. For every Kevin Durant there is a Kosta Koufos.

Cuban's proposal seems pretty stop on. Young players can make money if they want to opt out of going to school while still working on their games to help raise their draft stocks and potentially prolong their money making years, colleges wont have to deal with one and done's as if the go the college route they know before hand that they need to stay at least 3 years and both CBB and NBA basketball would be overall better as players are more talented.

However as he said it makes too much sense so it wont get done.

Originally Posted by MMG

it waters down the league, cause you have these bad teams that stay bad because they miss with these players with "potential" and have to wait 3-5 years for them to develop a game and an NBA ready body that they would be farther along with in college.

NBA prob has some of the worst structure in sports when it comes to the draft.
i have to agree with this .. 
I like the nfl's the best..

kids wait 3 years and college fans get to know players

nfl scouts can scout for 3 years not just one year..

theyre not jus 1 and done

IMO players should be allowed to go straight from high school to the pros.

If a team is willing to draft them and pay them $$ then good for you. colleges are making millions off these kids and exploiting the hell out them. The players should at least have the choice

On the one hand I think it's fair for them to be able to go pro as soon as they're 18 but as a fan I think college basketball is becoming almost unwatchable. We root for the coaches now waaaay more than the players. I had to watch Jabari Brown leave oregon at the beginning of his freshman year because he thought he was a 1 and done player and he wanted to go somewhere that would allow him to do that. I wish it was like college football but I realize that is not fair to the kids who are talented enough to play at the NBA level at a young age.

After reading everything my personal opinion hasn't changed much.
I think it would be a bad move to deny a phenomenal talent like Kobe, KG, LeBron direct access to the league.

But, as a sort of incentive to stay in school they should have to make the league minimum for a year or two if the go straight to the NBA.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

After reading everything my personal opinion hasn't changed much.
I think it would be a bad move to deny a phenomenal talent like Kobe, KG, LeBron direct access to the league.

But, as a sort of incentive to stay in school they should have to make the league minimum for a year or two if the go straight to the NBA.

how cool would it have been if you seen them play in college though ? 
think if they were 2 years in college 

kobe could have came to the league averaging 28 instead of coming off the bench

KG would have been the man.. where ever he went 

LBJ at ohio state or duke or akon.. psh..

but i think there are some players that needed to play 40 games for 2 or 3 years

t-mac, oden, maybe davis..

Back
Top Bottom