How do you feel about the term "culture vulture"?

flesh prince

Banned
To me, it was cool when Dame Dash coined it to talk about white execs who were pimping uneducated inner city black entertainers...but now I feel like it's used to describe anyone who isn't of a certain race doing things associated with that race...i.e. there's a debate in music section right now in a couple threads about Post Malone who went from

a new aesthetic, Lyor Cohen's son and some ghostwriters later

They say he's culture vulturing because of the braids and gold teeth compared to that old video but one could also look at those items as just being trendy post Tumblr aesthetic items this decade.

If Post is a culture vulture what does that make Travis Scott who grew up similarly in a privileged suburban environment and has switched his aesthetic and musical style many times.

And of course you got chicks like Kylie Jenner who gets heat for wearing braids and **** like that.

What do you think? How do you feel about the term culture vulture and what it has turned into? What does it mean to you?

Last edited:
OP is offended people been pooping on his Lil' Yachty playlists
i60UpdT.gif

Be who you are.

If you switch up to ride a wave for the financial incentives, then yes, that would make you a culture vulture.

Now I'm not black, so perhaps there are black people who feel like people of other races shouldn't be listening to hip-hop, or wearing certain kinds of attire or footwear. That's not my domain to say.

However, IMHO, as long as people express themselves organically, I think they're okay. You can't adopt elements of a culture if you're not well-versed on the history. Just know what you're doing and what you're borrowing. Know the history, don't just half-step.

People will sniff out the disingenuous posers and well, again, there will be some people of the culture you're taking from that will never approve. You have to live with that.

i60UpdT.gif

:lol: Not surprised who made this thread.

That cape is on strong.

Just take it easy I just wanted to see an entertaining discussion on whether or not this term has gotten played out yet.

Who said anything about Lil yachty lol? what are u even talking about my *****?

There is no cape out for anyone feel how you wanna feel I really don't really care about this ***** outside of him making a few songs I like :lol:

Last edited:
if youre not black and youre use anything of  black culture, you are a culture vulture

And there we go.

There's no arguing with this really. Just something those of us who take from the black culture just have to accept.

There will be an influx of posts in this thread, likely multiple pages, but no matter what people try to say to justify otherwise, but this is true.

But IMO if you still want to borrow/take from the black culture, you better be doing it with respect and genuine love for it.

At days end, when the majority (whites) doesn't want to be inclusive towards other cultures/races, namely black, you can't knock black people for wanting their culture to be exclusive to them.

I hold a view that values cultural diffusion and equality, but that's overly idealistic and whimsical. IT's not reality and if you're going to borrow, then you have to accept opinions like the one expressed above.

Last edited:
if youre not black and youre use anything of  black culture, you are a culture vulture

So what does that make Kanye who reaches to Europe for influence on his fashion and music? A large portion of his career has been based off of urbanizing things that white people have already done. Industrial music = Yeezus. Coldplay inspired the stadium melodic sound of Grad and 808s. etc. etc.

Or the man in your avatar who's early music was heavily influenced by shoegaze and Portishead. Are those things "black/Ethiopian" culture?

Saying anyone who takes from black culture is an easy scope to look at it until you ask what we "take" from other cultures.

Last edited:

This especially in an exploitative manner. This goes for any culture, not just black and hip hop culture.

The weird thing is when other cultures try to preserve what they have and keep it the way they want, it's all good. As soon as black people do it though it's an issue, and we need to share, and we need to accept change and accept that our culture isn't "ours" anymore.

It's ********.

So what does that make Kanye who reaches to Europe for influence on his fashion and music? A large portion of his career has been based off of urbanizing things that white people have already done. Industrial music = Yeezus. Coldplay inspired the stadium melodic sound of Grad and 808s. etc. etc.

Or the man in your avatar who's early music was heavily influenced by shoegaze and Portishead. Are those things "black/Ethiopian" culture?

Saying anyone who takes from black culture is an easy scope to look at it until you ask what we "take" from other cultures.
and who was europe "influenced" by if not africa? 

all those rock and roll groups? coldplay, portishead etc? yea black people invented rock and roll too

its not an "easy scope" its the truth

and who was europe "influenced" by if not africa? 

all those rock and roll groups? coldplay, portishead etc? yea black people invented rock and roll too

its not an "easy scope" its the truth

You can't just say "black people invented rock and roll so portishead and coldplay are our culture" :lol:

One could argue that coldplay and portishead aren't even rock first off but nevertheless...

i've seen white people in twitter comments try to do the same thing..."white people invented the internet so you're being a culture vulture right now"

it's quite the reach...

The weird thing is when other cultures try to preserve what they have and keep it the way they want, it's all good. As soon as black people do it though it's an issue, and we need to share, and we need to accept change and accept that our culture isn't "ours" anymore.

It's ********.

This.

but if you knew your music history your know that rock came from the blues and jazz

musical styles which black people "invented"

and using the internet is a terrible example and not relevant or valid because the conversation is about culture not technological advancement

i60UpdT.gif

:lol: Not surprised who made this thread.

That cape is on strong.

Just take it easy I just wanted to see an entertaining discussion on whether or not this term has gotten played out yet.

Who said anything about Lil yachty lol? what are u even talking about my *****?

There is no cape out for anyone feel how you wanna feel I really don't really care about this ***** outside of him making a few songs I like :lol:

You definitely caping hard. :lol:

Then you keep twisting it and leaving stuff out when we already listed reasons why he's a vulture and why other white rappers and producers are not. **** is weird bruh. You saying you don't care but you obviously care people are calling a vulture what he is. Do you though man. :lol:

This especially in an exploitative manner. This goes for any culture, not just black and hip hop culture.

It's ********.

We rebuilt a dominant global culture after it was violently taken away from us historically. Now we need to discuss niceties and sharing because it's better and profitable while others can safely be preserved. EAD with that.

Then you keep twisting it and leaving stuff out when we already listed reasons why he's a vulture and why other white rappers and producers are not. **** is weird bruh. You saying you don't care but you obviously care people are calling a vulture what he is. Do you though man. :lol:

Yeah I been wanted to make a thread about how the term jumped the shark and that was the biggest/most recent example that stuck out in my head

i can change it for u if you'd like that

but if you knew your music history your know that rock came from the blues and jazz

musical styles which black people "invented"

and using the internet is a terrible example and not relevant or valid because the conversation is about culture not technological advancement

The point is

Rock isn't typically "our" culture...yes it originated from the chuck berrys and all that but in American pop culture you know that's not what is really considered rock culture

they aren't copying chuck berry they're copying portishead and coldplay who again aren't even rock artists they're alternative

who's culture does "alternative" music come from

why is it only culture vulturing when someone takes from our culture

Are rappers culture vultures for rocking Versace and other European designers

Don't even get me started with this.
People borrow from other cultures all the time, it's part of what makes America a melting pot. 'culture vulturing' had nothing to do with white Iverson being a hot song. It was good regardless of what clothes he wore. If you think you can make a hotter track just because you're apart of a certain culture, then do it.

White Iverson is 100 times hotter than anything lil yachty or 21 savage etc has ever released. Does anyone question their knowledge or appreciation of hip hop to the extent that they do post Malone? I doubt it.

Could another race accuse us blacks of being 'culture vultures'?

It's crazy how the main people that say race shouldn't matter, are the ones pointing out why people shouldn't be allowed to do things because of their race.

This reminds me a lot of the N word argument.

Last edited:

Yeah I been wanted to make a thread about how the term jumped the shark and that was the biggest/most recent example that stuck out in my head

i can change it for u if you'd like that

Nah. Don't let me stop you from defending Post Malone. I was joking at first but making thread for him shows this is clearly your mans. :lol:

It's ********.

Someone brought up a point related to this about how 21 Savage couldn't slick back his hair and wear Hollister and A&F and go be an indie rock or pop artists

then someone brought up an even better point about how The Weeknd and Flo Rida are flourishing in the pop lane...and I might personally even add you have ****** like Kevin abstract who is creeping into that indie rock hollister store playlist lane and although not very well known yet he's buzzing and rising with co-signs from MTV/Complex/Noisey, was at Tyler The Creators festival and probably gonna be a big mainstream artist within next 2 years

what say you

Last edited:
Don't even get me started with this.
People borrow from other cultures all the time, it's part of what makes America a melting pot. 'culture vulturing' had nothing to do with white Iverson being a hot song. It was good regardless of what clothes he wore. If you think you can make a hotter track just because you're apart of a certain culture, then do it.

It's just one of those things where certain black people want to condemn another race for whatever reason. White Iverson is 100 times hotter than anything lil yachty or 21 savage etc has ever released. Does anyone question their knowledge or appreciation of hip hop to the extent that they do post Malone? I doubt it.

Could another race accuse us blacks of being 'culture vultures'?

It's crazy how the main people that say race shouldn't matter, are the ones pointing out why people shouldn't be allowed to do things because of their race.

This reminds me a lot of the N word argument.

Yikes, this whole post is a mess, especially since the bolded part couldn't be further from the truth as plenty of people have **** on Lil Yachty and 21 Savage for various reasons, especially Yachty. He's been completely dumped on :lol: ;lol

The point is

Rock isn't typically "our" culture...yes it originated from the chuck berrys and all that but in American pop culture you know that's not what is really considered rock culture

they aren't copying chuck berry they're copying portishead and coldplay who again aren't even rock artists they're alternative

I'll agree that in a scope when you think of rock in america it's usually gonna be looked at as a white culture these days, this only happened because we allowed people to come into our culture (Black & Whi) who didn't care about rules or obtaining a certain quality. Once those barriers were Broken it was easier to do and instead of it being spearheaded by us, more white people got a hold of it and basically deaded us on a whole Genre of music.

This isn't too far off from what's happening today.

The point is

so the fact that rock was culture vultured to the point where its "not seen as black" is your defense?

alternative is a derivative of rock and roll, like how the 3pt is a part of basketball along with dunks and dribbling

its culture vulturing when people take from black people because its typically something that when black people do it, white people denigrate it and us

but when they do it, its celebrated and revered

see: kylie braids etc

The point is

I'll agree that in a scope when you think of rock in america it's usually gonna be looked at as a white culture these days, this only happened because we allowed people to come into our culture (Black & Whi) who didn't care about rules or obtaining a certain quality. Once those barriers were Broken it was easier to do and instead of it being spearheaded by us, more white people got a hold of it and basically deaded us on a whole Genre of music.

This isn't too far off from what's happening today.

Yes. Just like they can make movies showing Egyptians as white people over and over till he it's drilled in peoples head.

And all that European fashion **** came from Africans who introduced it to Europeans hundreds of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom