How do you go about begging your professor for a grade bump...

... but making it seem like it's their fault? (I don't think the sympathy angle would work.)

Basically, I took Biology this semester and completely blew it off.

I was positive that I would pull off a B (which I would have no problem with). I ended up getting a 793 out of 1000.(7 points away from a B. 7/10th of a percent!
smh.gif
)

I've never been one to "test" the system because I figure that these professors already get enough %@%@ from students, making them reluctant tolisten to anyone's case.

What better time than now to try it out? What could I say to my professor that would give me the best chance ofgetting him to bump me up 7 points for the B?

S his d.

Or just ask for his mercy and to bump the grade up by less than 1%. Tell him you put in the work to get a B, and that you came thiscloseto reaching your goal, and you would be forever grateful if he could find it in his heart to give you a break for this one and only time.

If my method works I'm expecting $5 in my paypal account by next week.

Originally Posted by SWOBOYdeHTEEZY

... but making it seem like it's their fault? (I don't think the sympathy angle would work.)

Basically, I took Biology this semester and completely blew it off.

I was positive that I would pull off a B (which I would have no problem with). I ended up getting a 793 out of 100. (7 points away from a B. 1/7th of a percent!
smh.gif
)

I've never been one to "test" the system because I figure that these professors already get enough %@%@ from students, making them reluctant to listen to anyone's case.

What better time than now to try it out? What could I say to my professor that would give me the best chance of getting him to bump me up 7 points for the B?

Actually, you were 7/10th of a percent off, not 1/7th.

Anyhoo, the sympathy route never ever works. Glad that isn't the route you're taking. Just lay it out that while you are aware of his grading scheme,getting a C would damage your morale and put doubt in your academic goals and whatnot, and promise that now that you know what it takes to excel, you'd putin that much more work from here on out. Teachers don't want to see students fail.

If you were to go to office hours, I'm sure this would be no problem.

Some professors will bump you up from say, B+ to A- if you're really on the corner...granted you show to him/her that you're a decent student.

Some professors are just lenient and will stand their ground. I was 1% from an A in a bio class, and I got a B. The professor didn't believe in giving so anything that was 80% was a B, even if it was in my case, 89%.

I was in this predicament before. I went up to dude and basically got my politician game on. Ask him for your final exam and the answers. I guarantee you theymade a mistake. Find a question that either they didnt give you credit for when you deserved it, or find an ambiguous question that impacted your answerselection and explain why you should get credit for your answer even though it wasnt technically right.

Ur fault, u shouldn't have blown the class off now u have to deal w/ it. Rub the prof the wrong way and u might get a deduction

This is why you need to develop a relationship with your teacher. Maybe your class has 500 (like many of mine do, State ftl) students, but if you make it apoint to go to office hours a few times a semester you would have no problem getting last those 7 pts.

put it on them, be agressive and get them to change it.

rarely works, most of my teachers dont like me after
but i keep my dignity
pimp.gif

trapmuzik617 wrote:
Threaten to kill them

stress is the greatest deterrent/motivator of behavior

if he thinks he is seriously going to die if you dont get a B he will give you a B

just let him know "is your life worth 7 points?" *Lays gun on desk*

good luck

Originally Posted by Born Tuesday

Sympathy route worked for me, "I'm going to lose my scholarship"

Grade was bumped up.

did this exact thing last semester.
pimp.gif

only worked on one though, two more requests to different professors never were replied
laugh.gif

Kinda helps if you talk to your professor before hand (before the final).....and was actively involved during the semester ....

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Kinda helps if you talk to your professor before hand (before the final)
This.

Took me 3 years of college to learn this. I talked to my psych teacher and I basically had to get a 90.1% on the final to get an A. She knows my face now so ifI get lets say a 87% she'll know that I tried my hardest and will bump me up. Believe that

you know what else i think probably helps is if you maybe got lower grades earlier in the semester, but you improved your grades...that shows that youunderstand things better.

Like someone said put a gun on his desk, and say bump me up or Becky doesn't get to live another day.

Back
Top Bottom