How do you guys feel about driving a prius?

My wife is a wedding photographer who travels all over the Bay Area....so a Prius was a no brainer.

We picked up 2012 Prius Model III and got a great deal since other members of her family bought 2 from the dealer as well.

Averaged 48-50 MPG coming home from Point Reyes a few weekends ago...it's calculated cost was like $4.00. Borrowed the car to go into work which is 7 miles away in stop and go traffic, ran me $0.25. Feels good only dropping $40 for a full tank. Brings me back to 2004.

The Prius is like the unofficial, official car of the Bay Area...so we fit right in.

Originally Posted by smellyginger

the gas is great but i can't deal with being bullied on the road

i notice that prius drivers are the main bullies of the road 
laugh.gif

cutting people off, speeding, and swerving lanes with no signal...no dambs given

i would drive one....with limo tint all around

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

I have nothing against them, it's just seems that the cost of battery replacement and the inability of hybrid cars to maintain their resale value will outweigh the savings. I'd just rather have a lightweight car that gets good gas mileage, and do my part to drive efficiently.

This. It's like organics
laugh.gif

I have a 2010 Prius III for a daily driver and mostly love the car.
It averages around 48MPG for me and I drive it like I stole it.  I can get 55+ if i try.

The only problem I have is I have not gotten used to the brakes, which are very uneasy at times especially during emergency stops.  Otherwise the car is great, especially with the JBL/NAV system.

I do get "bullied" on the road and it gets annoying, even when I am driving faster than traffic.  This never happens when I am in my AMG, even when I am driving that thing like a grandma.

My other cars are my 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG and 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo. 

At the end of the lease I am turning it in and getting a 2013 BMW 328i for a daily driver.

I'm pretty sure there's like a 10 year warranty on the battery now...at least for CA.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I hate driving behind them.
This.  Even when I drive mine, I get pissed the *+$@ off when they drive slow as *+$@ and don't use cruise control.  But that's just people driving in the South, not Prius' specifically.

My company vehicle is a Prius and I hate driving that car with a passion. It just feels so weird and I hate driving small cars and hatchback also.

Arent initial costs of a Prius + battery enough to turn some people away? Like woudnt a Civic or Corolla be a "better" choice in the long run?

I woudnt mind driving one, I would never purchase one though.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

As long as there's a back seat broski... You can get yambs while saving mpg!
pimp.gif
the efficiency is mind boggling...
but i wouldnt drive one... that car is wack....

cop a motorcycle...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

btw there is an alternative. my mom actually has one of these and i drive this for the weekend and its pretty amazing car. for people who are "car enthusiasts" this has sport mode
laugh.gif

i was driving it the other weekend and i was getting almost 40 driving sport mode. pretty dope. almost same price too i believe. i think its little faster with F sport.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I'd buy one for the right price. I have heard the maintenance costs are
sick.gif
i've had once since 2006. i've paid less than $300/year in general maintenance since buying it. i drive 70 on the freeway with no problem - have taken it over 90. get over 40mpg. 
i laugh at people who struggle with their gas bill or people who pay upwards of $50/week on gas. gas is over $4.50 a gallon here and i pay about $40 every 2 weeks. 

best car i've ever owned - my car before this one was a brand new 4runner limited. 

I looked into the CT200h and test drove it to replace my Prius as a daily and since it has the same powertrain design as the Prius the braking feels exactly the same.
I drove a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and there was none of that weird brake feel with that hybrid system.

I'm mostly talking about the transition from regen braking to full on braking it's really disconcerting.

The savings cost doesn't do it for me, more so I dislike the hybrid concept. Maybe down the road, when this technology is actually commonplace, then I will consider one of these electric/battery/nat gas cars, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Maybe in 20-30 years.

For now, I like my gasoline cars.

I've driven the hybrids for some makes and models, like the Lexus one and it's too fancy for me. We haven't mastered voice command and all these neat features. Still, I dislike it.

I don't need auto park, or auto fuel guages that tell me when to put gas. I just need a GPS, AWD, and LUXURY.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

The savings cost doesn't do it for me, more so I dislike the hybrid concept. Maybe down the road, when this technology is actually commonplace, then I will consider one of these electric/battery/nat gas cars, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Maybe in 20-30 years.

For now, I like my gasoline cars.

I've driven the hybrids for some makes and models, like the Lexus one and it's too fancy for me. We haven't mastered voice command and all these neat features. Still, I dislike it.

I don't need auto park, or auto fuel guages that tell me when to put gas. I just need a GPS, AWD, and LUXURY.

but thats all part of luxury vehicle tho. a car with no gadgets are not considered luxurious cars. 

Originally Posted by eaalto

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

some people actually like cars because they are car enthusiast and wanna go in... driving a Prius is so unsatisfying.....

laugh.gif
It's the truth.  There's nothing fun about driving a Prius.  It's tough to compare the acceleration of a 300+ HP V8 to the 100HP Prius crawl.  The new ones are better, they have a larger displacement engine and stronger electric motors plus POWER
roll.gif
mode that helps you merge pretty quickly, not as much lag as the the older models.  
That said - if you asked me what I would rather drive on a daily basis - I would pick the Prius, and I'll tell you why.  When I had my Camaro, I could not resist running it at WOT almost everywhere I went.  From every stop light, stop sign, freeway on ramp, etc.  I made several runs to 155 MPH, routinely would push it above 100-110 just to hear the V8 roar.  But what's the point?  I got so many speeding tickets, and in so many stupid situations, that owning the car was a huge financial burden.  Why have the power if you can't really enjoy it?  I used to get around 10-13 MPG in that thing, and because of how I drove it, I went through tires every 10K miles, and put so much wear and tear on the engine and brakes that thing eventually just died on me.  Driving the Prius has taught me to be a responsible driver, because I just can't do the stupid %@%! that I used to anymore.  

I'll just say this...everyone should own a muscle car/fast car at some point in their life.  Do I miss the all around driving ability of a sports car?  Sure.  For me, the Prius is just the smarter choice.  If I ever got a sport bike, I would eventually kill myself.  Prius is just a safe choice.

Completely agree. Its why ive decided whatever daily driver I get next is going to be "boring".

only thing that i noticed with the older prius is when u stop and go the feel of the car starting back up is more jerky ..

Back
Top Bottom