How hard is it to land a job in a different city?

So I plan on moving after graduating, and everybody says make sure you have a job lined up first before you go.

My question, how hard is it to land a job in a different city...does it put you at a disadvantage right off the bat?

Any stories?

Depends. Are you expecting to jump into a "career" post graduation/move?

Or.. Are you just looking for a job that will hold you down in the meantime while you get settled?

I just landed a job in a city 2.5 hrs away from where I am now. It wasnt hard, you just have to show that youre the right candidate. I knew theyd question howI would move down there so quickly and where I would live, so I already had talked to my friend about staying with her until I get a spot of my own. When theyasked about knowing the city I was again ready with an answer and let them know that I was a frequent visitor over the past few years and that I had a GPS soit was no worry. I think they really liked the initiative I took in setting things up beforehand. So as long as youre the best candidate for the job and showthem that youre ready to move and prepared to adapt to their city you should be good.

Originally Posted by theblprnt

as long as thats actually you in that picture, you'll be fine.
commandowrong.gif

depends, i know from where i moved after graduation there were millions jobs...now im in michigan taking a 8 dollar pay decrease. But i cant complain because iget my own office and hours are good for school...9 to 5
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

So I plan on moving after graduating, and everybody says make sure you have a job lined up first before you go.

My question, how hard is it to land a job in a different city...does it put you at a disadvantage right off the bat?

Any stories?
How hard is it? Not difficult
Don't you have career fairs at your school where companies come to your university to recruit students? Many of those companies are from other states andyou will have to work in a different city.

Just talk to your school's career services, apply through your school so you can have the job lined up.

DO NOT MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CITY UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A JOB THERE.

You'd be wasting your time, unless you're looking for a job that pays under 50k.

Back
Top Bottom