How Honest Would You Be...

If you couldn't get caught? I'm talking as in no penalties at ALL.

Background Story::

"A student named Glaucon offered the story in response to a lesson by Socrates -- who, like Adam Smith, argued taht people are generally good even withoutenforcement. Glaucon disagreed. He told of a shepherd named Gyges who stumbled upon a secret cavern with a corpse inside that wore a ring. When Gyges put onthe ring, he found that it made him invisible. With no one able to monitor his behavior, Gyges proceeded to do woeful things-- seduce the queen, murder theking, and so on. Glaucon's story posed a moral question: could any man resist the temptation of evil if he knew his acts could not be witnessed?"

Source: Levitt. Freakonomics. p50-51.

A lot of females would get piped
grin.gif

I'd do some many immoral things to better my situation but thats where it would stop.

I honestly dont think I could. Ive had many opportunities to steal and %!*% but I just couldnt do it. I wouldnt be able to live with that fact

Well the truth is... if there were no enforcements/laws/rules/penalties, the world would not be afraid.

And in my opinion, the world would be boring. Because of those type of conducts, it keeps life interesting.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

I honestly dont think I could. Ive had many opportunities to steal and %!*% but I just couldnt do it. I wouldnt be able to live with that fact

Yeah, but to play devils advocate......what if you were only stealing from big evil corporations? What if taking money from where ever you choose to take itfrom, does not impact the person/place you are taking it from?

I agree with you, that if my stealing was impacting peoples lives, then I couldnt do it and be able to live with that fact. But if I am taking what would beconsidered chump change from some oil mogul in Dubai, Im pretty sure I could live with it.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Yeah, but to play devils advocate......what if you were only stealing from big evil corporations? What if taking money from where ever you choose to take it from, does not impact the person/place you are taking it from?

I agree with you, that if my stealing was impacting peoples lives, then I couldnt do it and be able to live with that fact. But if I am taking what would be considered chump change from some oil mogul in Dubai, Im pretty sure I could live with it.
Still wouldnt/couldnt do it. I cant even steal little pieces of candy from my job let alone millions from an oil tycoon
laugh.gif

It would eat me up in side
smh.gif

Edit: After watching those Top Gear videos, Im gunna have to change my mind
devil.gif

Yeah, but to play devils advocate......what if you were only stealing from big evil corporations? What if taking money from where ever you choose to take it from, does not impact the person/place you are taking it from?

I agree with you, that if my stealing was impacting peoples lives, then I couldnt do it and be able to live with that fact. But if I am taking what would be considered chump change from some oil mogul in Dubai, Im pretty sure I could live with it.
I thought I was the only one who felt like this. Stealing directly from another person ain't something I can do, but if I could scheme my wayinto stealing money from say a Tobacco Company, I take erything i could
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom