How long did you stay at your first post-college job?

How long did you guys stay at your post college job?

I recently accepted a position with a company and start next week but I have also been compiling an application package for the Navy's Officer Candidate School. In order to apply for OCS, I need to pass a November board review for the contingents I am interested in. It would probably take a few weeks to even notify me whether I was accepted, which would put me at about a year of time with the company.  If I were turned down for OCS, then no big deal, especially since the position I accepted is decent pay and great benefits but I just don't want to walk away without putting in some decent time first. Lots of people have said that a year with a few months is a good amount of time for a first post college-job. I just feel awkward about accepting a position with the possibility of walking away so soon if I were selected for OCS 
ohwell.gif

How long did you guys stay at your post college job?

I recently accepted a position with a company and start next week but I have also been compiling an application package for the Navy's Officer Candidate School. In order to apply for OCS, I need to pass a November board review for the contingents I am interested in. It would probably take a few weeks to even notify me whether I was accepted, which would put me at about a year of time with the company.  If I were turned down for OCS, then no big deal, especially since the position I accepted is decent pay and great benefits but I just don't want to walk away without putting in some decent time first. Lots of people have said that a year with a few months is a good amount of time for a first post college-job. I just feel awkward about accepting a position with the possibility of walking away so soon if I were selected for OCS 
ohwell.gif

eh...don't think it will look awkward/bad since it's OCS and not just to another company. theres nothing your company can say or do except give you a pat on the back.

eh...don't think it will look awkward/bad since it's OCS and not just to another company. theres nothing your company can say or do except give you a pat on the back.

I just got hired less than a month ago, and I already have another application going through the process. When you're young, you have to make whatever moves you have to make to build your resume.

Just leave the old job cordially and they should understand. Your top obligation is to yourself.

I just got hired less than a month ago, and I already have another application going through the process. When you're young, you have to make whatever moves you have to make to build your resume.

Just leave the old job cordially and they should understand. Your top obligation is to yourself.

One thing I have learned while on the job-hunt is to not count your chickens before they hatch. If you get accepted, you get accepted. Put in your 2 weeks, tell them you found an opportunity you can't refuse (if you want), and just move on. They can (and will) replace you so there is no need to feel "guilty".

Im only one month into a temp-to-perm position but I have been sending my resume out since day 1. I need to make some career moves to help with my grad school app so its nothing personal. I even have one of my supervisors making some calls for me to help me break into my desired field.

So again man, just do you. They will understand or at the very least survive without you. But first things first. You gotta get accepted before you even have this dilemma.

One thing I have learned while on the job-hunt is to not count your chickens before they hatch. If you get accepted, you get accepted. Put in your 2 weeks, tell them you found an opportunity you can't refuse (if you want), and just move on. They can (and will) replace you so there is no need to feel "guilty".

Im only one month into a temp-to-perm position but I have been sending my resume out since day 1. I need to make some career moves to help with my grad school app so its nothing personal. I even have one of my supervisors making some calls for me to help me break into my desired field.

So again man, just do you. They will understand or at the very least survive without you. But first things first. You gotta get accepted before you even have this dilemma.

I was at my 1st post college gig for bout 9 months. It was miserable. While there I interviewed for my current job and I'm currently going on 7 years now.

I was at my 1st post college gig for bout 9 months. It was miserable. While there I interviewed for my current job and I'm currently going on 7 years now.

Back
Top Bottom