How much leeway do you give an expiration date on food before you throw it away?

Just curious...about these foods:

*Bread - If I haven't finished the loaf on the expiration date, I'll put it in the fridge for at least another 3-4 days. After that, it goes in thetrash.

*Milk - I toss out on the day it expires. Don't really play around w. dairy...

*Meat - I'll usually freeze...sometimes I forget what's in the freezer, and I'll find some burned cutlets
laugh.gif
Generally, meat is good for a whileif you freeze it...

****add any others that you question, or that you actually do yourself

i give it the smell check.

side note, i just found like a 4 pound tri tip in the freezer that i've had since like october, but i forgot about it. any chance its still good?
laugh.gif

Smell test, texture test, and taste test. But usually just a few days after expiration. My Frig is hella cold btw so food tend to last longer.

breads- usually the day of, sometime before. I don't keep bread in the fridge so I gotta look out for that hidden mold.

milk- the day of. Nothing feels worse than thinking you're about to do it big with some cinnamon toast crunch.......come to find out the milk is thick as%+$@.

A good sniff is normally a good indicator.

*Bread - If I haven't finished the loaf on the expiration date, I'll put it in the fridge for at least another 3-4 days. After that, it goes in the trash.

Bread always seems to last a lot longer than the date. I buy a loaf at the beginning of the week for lunches at work and the date is normally about Wednesday -I can easily get to the end of the week and sometimes the first few days of the next week - just by sealing the bag and putting it in a cool cupboard.

I do toast it most of the time though - it's probably a little stale. Once in a while it goes really green though - but you can smell it before you can seeit.

Depending on my money will effect how long I will keep something beyond the expiration date
laugh.gif
no longer than a few days and I usually get rid of dairyproducts the day off if I notice it

One day I came home drunk and was hungry though, and ate some spoiled sour cream with some burritos
smh.gif
I didnt notice until I woke up sober
laugh.gif

Zero.

I'm a stickler for things like expiration dates.

My grandma keeps expired milk for weeks for cooking, though.
sick.gif

Bread, I'll keep until I see mold or it turns into a brick. (On that note, I refuse to buy Sara Lee bread. Goes from soft to brick status in 3 days, everytime.)

Meat, as long as it's been frozen, I'm good. I stock up on chicken breasts every time they're on sale and some might sit in the freezer for a monthor two.

Dairy, I take no chances with. I had one bad experience with it and now I throw stuff out on the date or if it smells the least bit sour.

I love this thread btw!

I used to live in africa and we would eat whatever was available. ketchup thats expired by ELEVEN YEARS ftmfl. Thats why i dont give a S about expiration datesnow, all these dumasses in the burbs throw food out before it even reaches the expiration dat, just in case its spoiled! what part of the game is that!?

We used to buy oats from the store and leave them out on the driveway so the sun would kill the bugs or make them leave the food, same goes for flour and allthat stuff. Ppl here complain about the smallest things, when is the last time you saw a dead mouse inside your bag of sugar and threw it out and proceeded touse the sugar? prob never right?

expiration dates are basically exclaimers and dont mean SHHHHH

man i was thinkin about makin this thread cause it always seem like im the last one in the house to get the milk for some cereal and im always cutting it close
laugh.gif
smh.gif

btw, I ate sushi that had been sittin in the fridge for 2 weeks last summer when it apparently says on the package you should eat it right after purchase lol,i never have any problems though

I try to eat all my foods before the printed expiration date, if it passed, I just examine the food before I eat it.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

btw, I ate sushi that had been sittin in the fridge for 2 weeks last summer when it apparently says on the package you should eat it right after purchase lol, i never have any problems though
laugh.gif
smh.gif

bro, what are you doing?

Man I'm real paranoid with milk I usually smell it and if I smell ANYthing abnormal I won't use it even if its before expiration date

Bread - if its hard, no good

Man I'm real paranoid with milk I usually smell it and if I smell ANYthing abnormal I won't use it even if its before expiration date

Bread - if its hard, no good

the expiration date on milk doesn't mean that's the day it goes bad.

the expiration date is the projected date based on the packaging date that the milk will contain enough bacteria to begin to go bad. the colder you keep yourmilk, the longer beyond the expiration date you can use it.

this means you shouldn't keep your milk in the door. the opening and closing of the fridge can change the temperature enough to promote going bad.

I don't go by expiration dates as long as it looks good and still tastes good i'll eat it...I'm in good shape so my body is a beast...I was drunklast weekend and knowingly ate moldy cheese...it was still delicious

sick.gif
when it comes to milk I throw it out one day before the expirationdate. it already smells bad by that time

p.s: i also noticed that the expiration date for NYC is earlier, why is that?
nerd.gif

I usually drink milk a few days after the exp date, a lil sour doesnt hurt....if it's chunky i let it chill.

Back
Top Bottom