How much money do you save per month NT?

What are you studying?

That's a good chunk. What do you do for work?

I work for the city... I'm blessed my parents still want me to live at home so I can maximize my savings.

I do things like join SuSu , (if you guys ever heard of that ) and have about 3 different ones I'm in. You MUST pay your dues weekly.

So that forces me to save.

Yea I am.

I got into Boston University, doing a masters in Applied Business Analytics

That's awesome. A BU business degree will pay immediate dividends, especially if you plan to stick around. Trust. The networking alone :nthat:

"
Image.jpg

The numbers in the chart above assume an 8% annual investment return and that you’ll live on the classic 4% withdrawal rate which implies assets of 25 times your annual needs. So, this is not a gospel, but a guideline."

I work for the city... I'm blessed my parents still want me to live at home so I can maximize my savings.

I do things like join SuSu , (if you guys ever heard of that ) and have about 3 different ones I'm in. You MUST pay your dues weekly.

Lol at the SuSu mention. You're Haitian then. All my Haitian boys do it with relatives. Tried to get me to do it but I never committed.

Three of them is wild.

And I just got a text about joining a SuSu. That's crazy. The voodoo is real :nerd:

Last edited:
wealthfront, betterment, vanguard?

Anybody messing with any of these services? pros? cons?

I lived with a co-worker for almost 5 yrs. Only 9 mile round trip to work. Was only paying him $650 for rent (compared to $1600 now for my Apt). I'm mad at myself for not saving more than I did. Single, no kids, full time good paying job and a part-time student. Just crunching some numbers in my head, I should have stashed away between 60-80k in that time frame. :smh:

"Assuming an 8% return"

I think a lot of people are overlooking how difficult it is to make an 8% return year after year.

Saving 200 a month until you're 65 will not net you hundreds of thousands to millions if all you're doing is stashing it in the bank.

In two SuSu. One for my savings and one that goes towards traveling.

wealthfront, betterment, vanguard?

Anybody messing with any of these services? pros? cons?
I use Betterment for my IRA and a small taxable account. The main positive of it it for me compared to the other robo advisors is that betterment can buy partial shares of ETFs so I'll never have to hold cash. Unless something has changed Wealth front didn't have that option.

Wealth front does have the ability to buy single name stocks which is something betterment does not.

"Assuming an 8% return"

I think a lot of people are overlooking how difficult it is to make an 8% return year after year.

Saving 200 a month until you're 65 will not net you hundreds of thousands to millions if all you're doing is stashing it in the bank.
It's not so much year after year but rather annualized return.

The average annualized total return for the S&P 500 over the past 90 years is 9.8 percent, so even if you have years below 8%, you'll also have years where it's above that.

8% is a number that is heavily used, me personally I'd be fine with 6%. I'm 90% equities in my portfolio too so I'm expecting a lot of vol.

Last edited:

In two SuSu. One for my savings and one that goes towards traveling.

I remember that SuSu ante up stuff when I used to work for CitiGroup in BK back in the day smh

Here's a good piece of advice for the SuSu thing... don't do it... same your own money.

If you have no choice but to do it then I suggest you draw first and collect your money.

I've seen a dude catch a bad beating by Kings Plaza in BK because he did the take and dip smh

I know dudes hospital bills were more than what he ran off with.

My mom and sisters use to join that crap with coworkers, but not I, hell no man if you think about it it's just like saving your own money and getting a big payout when it's your turn... JUST SAVE YOUR OWN MONEY AND YOU'LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS!

Maybe yours is better and with people you trust, but I say proceed with caution.

I remember that SuSu ante up stuff when I used to work for CitiGroup in BK back in the day smh

Here's a good piece of advice for the SuSu thing... don't do it... same your own money.

If you have no choice but to do it then I suggest you draw first and collect your money.

I've seen a dude catch a bad beating by Kings Plaza in BK because he did the take and dip smh

My mom and sisters use to join that crap with coworkers, but not I, hell no man if you think about it it's just like saving your own money and getting a big payout when it's your turn... JUST SAVE YOUR OWN MONEY AND YOU'LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS!

Maybe yours is better and with people you trust, but I say proceed with caution.

Damn that's wild!!! You are 100% right in that you could basically do it yourself just be disciplined and actually put x amount to the side.

Good info on here. I just put my money in a savings account. How do I get t too "grow"

Any help would be appreciated.

Whats SuSu?

Never heard of it til this thread.

I use Betterment for my IRA and a small taxable account. The main positive of it it for me compared to the other robo advisors is that betterment can buy partial shares of ETFs so I'll never have to hold cash. Unless something has changed Wealth front didn't have that option.

Wealth front does have the ability to buy single name stocks which is something betterment does not.

So is it easy to get your money out of betterment if you need it?

$400/per month. I'll increase that amount to $600 - $800 within the next 2 months.

Another little savings method I do is any $5 dollar bill I come into contact with, I put it aside and have it saved.

Back
Top Bottom