How much of your paycheck do you put into savings?

I do 50 dollars a week and I've been doing so for the last 8 months.. Its not much but its a start for me. In my past I wasn't good with money but this savings account is letting me know that I can be responsible with my funds..Next year I'll probably do 75 a week.

Do what works for you op, and remember u can't pay it all back in one payment.. Pick an amount that u can steadily pay without missing it and roll with it.. Theres is no need to break yourself trying to pay back loans in a hurry..
Repped. thanks NT I think Ill start with 500 going to loans a month and increase or decrease it accordingly.

i put 10% into my deferred compensation (457) the rest goes to food, bills, and bsing... I need to manage the rest better in all honesty :smh:

Don't have a savings. My money goes straight into my business and my stomach. I know it's a bad idea. But I'm trying to get to the top ASAP and without credit. One good business move will pay off way more than any savings account I can add to at the moment.... :smh:

I'm doing this along with 2 of my boys

We deposited $2 on the first week, and continue to add $2 on top of the previous one for the next 52 weeks

If a deposit is missed by Monday (verified by a screenshot at the end of the day) then a $5 additional penalty is due

Additional deposit is encouraged but the minimum has to be met that week

I think we are on week 11, which is $22

Why don't you just move back home? There's no shame in doing so especially when you're working. You're literally pinching pennies.

This.

And I get you may have a passion for social work.. But you must have known what you were getting yourself into beforehand.

My mom lives in Denver and my gf family lives in Chicago. We are pretty serious so there is no way we could live apart. and  I agree with both of you guys there is nothing wrong with moving back home. But for me I grow and learn the most when I am new places and uncomfy situations and living here in New Haven and in St. Louis knowing nobody helped me grow so much. I also cant move back home because The population I am passionate about working with and researching are gang members and Denver does not have a very large gang population. next year I will prob be in Chicago working in the southside and doing research at U of C on my off time. 

And I def knew what I was going into by getting my masters in social work. That is why I want to go back to school for my doctorate to have a career in academia and policy where the pay is way better and I can have a more macro effect.

I'm actually....

100% convinced you have what it takes to go far. I applaud you and wish you the best. From what I can tell you seem like a really good dude. You have my utmost respect.

Best of luck to you fam.

Man we werent taught to save when we were younger. Im older , but back then it was spend spend live paycheck to paycheck. as long as we had girls, beer, car,food, parties we thought that was life. Younger gen have so much wealth of knowledge now and the internet that  we didnt have.  I never saved a penny in my life until 2 years ago. i had money/spending money nothing was saved tho. If only I could do it again

Last edited:
Good rule of thumb is saving 10%...i do the same. Sometimes 20%. I'm in stocks...I'm a gold bug. No reason to put it in savings when interests rates are so low.

I don't "save" anything. If it's not going to bills,food or gas then I invest it.

Investing is a wonderful thing, but saving should be one's first step/priority. The main goal is to balance savings, debt & investments. Where saving caters to stability, investing caters to growth/expansion. Although I have several investments, I couldn't purchase my home, vehicles, etc. without secured funds. In OP's case, it's best to start small & not rush into things. I waited several years to accrue what I own & in this current day, I can tell you that it's much more fulfilling to know you can purchase certain things than it is to actually buy them. I'm more than content with my simple home & lifestyle. I'm still in my 20s & have a lot more to learn, but it's nice to know that I've accomplished what I've wanted so far...

Thanks man. I dont regret it at all I want to get my PhD so I will have more school after this. I went to the university of colorado denver for undergrad and went to graduate school at Washington University in St. Louis. A private university who's social work program is the best in the country, which is what my masters is in. I made a lot of connection there which helped me get a research gig here at Yale. I do a lot of volunteer work with profs here Yale which is making more connection that im sure will benefit me in the future.

Yo, Aguilar, I am at SOM (well, right now I am abroad at LSE for a term), when I get back in the country, let's kick it.

Show you how the B-School gets down... good connects too.

I'm actually....

100% convinced you have what it takes to go far. I applaud you and wish you the best. From what I can tell you seem like a really good dude. You have my utmost respect.

Best of luck to you fam.
Thanks man. It means a lot. In your ever in New Haven I got the first round.
Investing is a wonderful thing, but saving should be one's first step/priority. The main goal is to balance savings, debt & investments. Where saving caters to stability, investing caters to growth/expansion. Although I have several investments, I couldn't purchase my home, vehicles, etc. without secured funds. In OP's case, it's best to start small & not rush into things. I waited several years to accrue what I own & in this current day, I can tell you that it's much more fulfilling to know you can purchase certain things than it is to actually buy them. I'm more than content with my simple home & lifestyle. I'm still in my 20s & have a lot more to learn, but it's nice to know that I've accomplished what I've wanted so far...
Thanks for the knowledge. I def want to start investing sometime. Gotta get a little nest egg first. How long did it take for you to start investing after you started saving?
Yo, Aguilar, I am at SOM (well, right now I am abroad at LSE for a term), when I get back in the country, let's kick it.

Show you how the B-School gets down... good connects too.

Big ups to the cats in here looking out for their future :smokin

Maxing out a Roth and my 401k. Another $50 per week to my stock account. Another $150 per week to various savings accounts (emergency, general, and travel).

out of the 1500 i make monthly i try to save at least 300 been doing this for the first 3 years at my job saved up 20k
then i got reckless got cc shoes clothes going out and havent saved the last two years and started dipping into my savings :smh:

need to cut back this comming year F shoes and supreme :smh:

I think that's the biggest problem we face in this country, there's no rhyme or reason to who makes what, and education has become a hustle more than a valuable means to an end.

The fact that someone can come out of grad school to make just enough money to still be relatively poor, you become a piece of the machine. It's almost not worth it. Our education and cost of living prices have shot up faster than our average salaries can keep up with.

My best advice, pay off that student loan as fast as possible, and really do the math on whether getting a phd right now is going to pay off financially. If it's the difference between 5k to 10k more per year, I'd wait until you had things paid off. After taxes, an extra 5k a year doesn't do much for you when you still owe a ton, and then you'll just be adding to that debt.

Stay living within your means, pay the loans off and save a little on the side consistently. You've got the right idea but I just don't know how lucrative a phd in social work is gonna be.

3500 a month plus all bonuses which could be any where from 1500-3000 on top of that.

The first thing everybody should do is pay themselves when they get paid then take of bills . its a lot of stuff I wanna cop , But if I miss out on it I always remind myself " can't miss what u never had ".

A good book I read is, The richest man in Babylon. I started savings later on cuz I was hitting up the clubs n all. but now I'm happy I do put a least something away...

like $500 a month is what I put into savings

damn $1000 a month in student loans? How much did you borrow and for what?

Ha I know right. I just finished grad school in May so between grad and undergrad im at 65k in student loans

I start my new job on Monday making 39k. My rent is 525 and my expenses are gas and my gym membership. My girlfriend pays for electric. We split grocery cost which is about 30-40 bucks a week individually. And I also split paying for gas in her car. I will be paying back about 1,000k a month in student loans, and would like to send my mom 150/month as well. 

I am a pretty frugal and decipline dude so I wont be buying any clothes or sneakers anytime soon. 

I am thinking of putting away 100 bucks a month. Do you guys think this is doable or will I have enough to put away more? I would like to put away as much as possible. I just feel its always good to have money aside incase of a rainy day.

So NT fam I was wondering how much do you save from your paycheck? 

Don't have a savings. My money goes straight into my business and my stomach. I know it's a bad idea. But I'm trying to get to the top ASAP and without credit. One good business move will pay off way more than any savings account I can add to at the moment.... :smh:
What type of business do you have?

I have a checking account. I wouldn't know. I make 26K a year.
Put 50-100/mo in a savings account that gives you a good interest return. Bank savings accounts are a joke. Always helps to have a rainy day fund.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom