How often do you check your vehicles tire pressure NT?

lurkin2long

Banned
Myself, every 2 weeks.

Many people dont do this, I have no idea why. I also do my moms, sister an girl whip.

BENEFITS OF DOING THIS you ask? read below

With the right amount of air pressure, your tires wear longer, save fuel, enhance handling and prevent accidents.
pimp.gif

Thank You

I usually check mine every 1500 miles, but I do a visual check of my tires on a daily basis.

Rarely, I just check em every once and a while to see if they're looking flat, not actually testing the pressure.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I usually check mine every 1500 miles, but I do a visual check of my tires on a daily basis.
You do know that a visual check cannot tell proper tire pressure at all right? Unless it was really low then yea its obvious. Example one time bylooking I thought it was normal, the tire gauge read only 15psi shouldve been like 26
eek.gif

So now I always take TP serious, there is a difference in your vehicles performance (id always squeal around turns
laugh.gif
) and you save gas. It really doesnt take much time.

I used to do it weekly when I drove a lot - now I do about 4000 miles a year so I only check it every month or so - and before any long trip.

It makes a huge different to fuel economy - I learned that the hard way.

Originally Posted by 951jenius

how can i do this?
Very simple, you can pick up a tire pressure gauge at wal mart few bucks. Take off tire valve cap an put it right on there and it shows you the psi.Then fill up to proper amount according to your car manual.

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Originally Posted by RFX45

You do know that a visual check cannot tell proper tire pressure at all right? Unless it was really low then yea its obvious. Example one time by looking I thought it was normal, the tire gauge read only 15psi shouldve been like 26
eek.gif

So now I always take TP serious, there is a difference in your vehicles performance (id always squeal around turns
laugh.gif
) and you save gas. It really doesnt take much time.

I know you can't tell but my car/wheels are also equipped with TPMS so it's not really something I worry about too much. The visual check is morefor obvious damages on the tires and wheels because sometimes you could be driving with a nail in your tire and not know until it's too late.

I just started checking after someone recommended it, every 2 weeks for me, looks can be very decieving when it comes to tires.

Do those "gauges" I guess is what they're called that show green when your tire is at the correct psi and I guess they show red when not filledenough really work?

My tire pressure monitor light just came on the other night, but it was snowing/sleeting and I was driving back at 3am. It's been too cold to take care ofit.
laugh.gif

where on your car, can you check what the tire pressure is supposed to be?....

Do those "gauges" I guess is what they're called that show green when your tire is at the correct psi and I guess they show red when not filled enough really work?

where on your car, can you check what the tire pressure is supposed to be?....
Each tires, depending on the size and width, requires different PSI. The PSI requirement/suggestion is usually printed/engraved on the sidewall ofthe tire.

^ no it's not. Only the max pressure which is way more than what should be in it.

The recommended pressure for your tyres will be in the manual and on a plate somewhere else on your car. Mine is on the inside of the fuel filler flap. On mylast car it was on a metal plate that was visible when you opened the drivers door - rivetted on just below the catch for the door lock.

^^^ Really? I could have sworn it's the suggested PSI, especially on aftermarket tires.

Plus does the manual show all the wheel/tire options for the car? Because most cars now has an option for different sized wheels and for the most part,different wheel sizes differ in PSI requirement as well.

1nce a week at least.
when you're riding on big wheels especially.

if you are on 30 series or 25 series tires, make sure you got it at over 42 psi cold.
that will actually boost up your gas mileage very slightly too.

on 25 series tires, never let it get lower then 35 cold. it could make it easier for you to bend a wheel.

About once a week, sometimes two. And on my car, the tire pressure recommendation is on the drivers door jamb like kdwallace said.

Chances are your car was made for that exact tire pressure so I'd go by that for optimal handling, ride, and fuel economy. But then if you don't havestock wheels and have low profile tires, it may be different.

Also, you shouldn't check the tire pressure after driving because it will always be higher, check it "cold" like Ben is talking about meaning ithasn't been driven for a few hours.

31Q49-c76qL._SS500_.jpg

These are what I was talking about in my post up there. Does anyone use them? Do they really work?

Originally Posted by BENBALLER

1nce a week at least.
when you're riding on big wheels especially.

if you are on 30 series or 25 series tires, make sure you got it at over 42 psi cold.
that will actually boost up your gas mileage very slightly too.

on 25 series tires, never let it get lower then 35 cold. it could make it easier for you to bend a wheel.
yep. you dudes ridin nice an big (nh) with rims need to check more.

all new cars have tpms, even still that just indictates you needa check. its a self maintenance thing not suttin you run to the dealer everytime for.

^^^ Really? I could have sworn it's the suggested PSI, especially on aftermarket tires.

Plus does the manual show all the wheel/tire options for the car? Because most cars now has an option for different sized wheels and for the most part, different wheel sizes differ in PSI requirement as well.

Yeah, the tyre manufacturer doesn't know what vehicle it's going on - the weight and what sort of rim makes a difference and obviously that varies fromcar to car.

My manual has a list of all the different options that are available on that model.

It has the wheel size and then broken down by profile and the recommended pressure for regular driving and then for high speed or carrying a load.

I check once a week. I also have a stock Tire Pressure Monitor System, but I wouldn't want to rely on that.

I usually check mine once every 2 weeks. If I happen to hit any potholes by accident and the weather permits, I usually check my pressure at my next stop. Ikeep a tire pressure gauge in my car.

i almost never check them. gonna start though cuz my gas bills have been stupid high

Back
Top Bottom