How old is too old to learn to play a major sport? Not to play professionally, of course.

I really kinda sorta want'ta learn how to play soccer. All the latinas dig it (and I dig the latinas). And it has great health benefits (when you're not kicked in the head, ankle, knee and/or grape nuts). But I'm over the age of 25.  Soooo I dunno. 
Thoughts from the brethren?

I quit playing soccer when I was 16. I started playing again recently (I'm 21 now) and damn I'm terrible 
laugh.gif
Still, I'm pretty fast and play physical so I'm a good defender for the most part. It's only when I'm playing 2 on 2 or something that I'm useless
laugh.gif

Just get your fitness up first and start practicing your passing and shooting. You don't have to be good to enjoy a sport

I don't think there is any limit. You might look kinda weird playing pee wee soccer at your age but I'm sure there are alternatives

You're not going to be amazing at it, but you should still try to join a league if you're interested in playing. I know a lot of people that joined recreational ice hockey leagues at older ages and ice hockey is definitely a tough sport to pick up.

my friends and their brothers play league softball.. 
i participate in a kickball tourney once a year.. drinking is encouraged. 

i know its not a "major sport" but I started Brazillian Jiu Jitsu about 3 months shy of my 31st bday. Loving it so far, but such a technical sport with so much to learn.

Join a pickup league for fun. It's a good way to get exercise and meet new people. You could even look into a coed league if you want to meet women.

Never an age limit to learn something new even though it helps when you start young. Just look for friendly pickup games through craigslist or a sports group.

Originally Posted by DimSum9

Never an age limit to learn something new even though it helps when you start young. Just look for friendly pickup games through craigslist or a sports group.
or i could start a "Sexy Coed New to Soccer!!!" group. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

i know its not a "major sport" but I started Brazillian Jiu Jitsu about 3 months shy of my 31st bday. Loving it so far, but such a technical sport with so much to learn.
i recently started taking boxing classes for fitness.  the cardio portion is ridiculous. 

Not trying to be an $#@ or nothing but to someone like me, you're always going to look like you started playing soccer as an adult.
laugh.gif

Just like you can look at the way some guys throw any object and tell they never played baseball as a kid.

Never played soccer in my life, but right out of college I joined a co-rec team with my friends for the exercise. I was AWFUL. But I had two things going for me: speed and basketball knowledge. It sounds dumb, but if you know basketball, then you'll adjust to soccer pretty well. I'm not saying you're going to be able to shake people or dribble it well right off the bat, but there are a lot of parallels between the two sports (angles, defense, passing, anticipating, etc.). That's how I was able to actually hold my own after awhile. And there are rec leagues that cater to all levels, so just go for it.

pimp.gif
 I started this a couple of summers ago, but I stopped its a great way to get/stay in shape I want to get back into it full time when I'm done playing football

Originally Posted by smlb52

pimp.gif
 I started this a couple of summers ago, but I stopped its a great way to get/stay in shape I want to get back into it full time when I'm done playing football
Want to take some BJJ classes what is it like share stories
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

You should definitely do it OP.  You should play pickup and/or join a league. You obviously don't want  to sign up for a semi-pro league, but there are different. leagues for people with varying skill levels.

I'm trying to pick up tennis. I'm bad at it but it feels good when I can notice small improvements
smokin.gif

My friend that's 26 just started playing ball.
I'm teaching him, but I didn't know there so muck to teach.
He is really good at setting picks and an ok defender, but his offense is trash. He getting there.
When he fails he says,"it don't matter ima doctor"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Not trying to be an $#@ or nothing but to someone like me, you're always going to look like you started playing soccer as an adult.
laugh.gif

Just like you can look at the way some guys throw any object and tell they never played baseball as a kid.
actually you've sold me on doing it.  the only people that would know for sure that i never played before are my friends (and i don't have to tell those "nephews", as Snoop would say). 
laugh.gif
i could read up on to get the rules (and watch some youtube) and just play.  i probably wouldn't be good at it, but there are MILLIONS of cats who are really bad at soccer who play anyway (just like any other sport).  i know for a fact there are ALOTADAMN dudes on the basketball court that can't play, who look like they just learned yesterday. 

but they're there every weekend. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OP, I participate in a social league in NYC that has all types of sports (soccer, football, softball, kickball, you name it) and I see men of all ages participating in them. Although they may not be able to keep up with the younger fellows, the league is all about fun and meeting people. They have a sponsored happy hour after all the games (mine are every Sunday afternoon) where you get to meet people of different teams and sports.

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

laugh.gif

actually you've sold me on doing it.  the only people that would know for sure that i never played before are my friends (and i don't have to tell those "nephews", as Snoop would say). 
laugh.gif
i could read up on to get the rules (and watch some youtube) and just play.  i probably wouldn't be good at it, but there are MILLIONS of cats who are really bad at soccer who play anyway (just like any other sport).  i know for a fact there are ALOTADAMN dudes on the basketball court that can't play, who look like they just learned yesterday. 

but they're there every weekend. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh by all means do it. I wasn't trying to discourage you. The more people we have participating and fostering a love for the game in this country the better. 
pimp.gif

You could even keep this thread updated with how it goes. If you got any questions on technique I'd be more than happy to try and help answer them.

Soccer is probably the hardest sport to get "good" at. If you didn't start playing when you were young, there will always be a noticeable gap in terms of skill and futbol know-how when you play with long time players. That said, I really encourage you to start because playing a game of soccer is a hell of a good time and a hell of a workout.

soccer is the best man. I've been playing since i was 5, I'm 17 now. Takes a lot of conditioning, every morning I run an hour and a half (mostly uphill) and hit the gym for an hour and a half. Also play pickup games 3 times a week, practice with a team 2 times a week, and play game on the weekend in. During the fall i practice EVERYDAY for 3+ hours with my school team. I play on my HS Varsity team and an academy team that gets exposure of college coaches so im hoping to hat a scholarship
pimp.gif
Usually there's pick up games at the local park (at least around me) so try and get in on those. Just so you know, soccer is one of the hardest sports, hope your in shape.

Back
Top Bottom