How to declare for the NBA draft - step by step and show up on draft lists.

i'm surprised there aren't more goobers doing this in their spare time..

to make it memorable, I would want to receive the official copy the NBA has/puts out so I can frame it...
or change my name legally to Kwame Brown, Sam Bowie, JR Rider, Michael Jordan before I do it.

http://www.draftfeinstein.com/process.php

[h1]How Did I Declare for the NBA Draft?[/h1]
The story begins in April of 2007, when one of my roommates (Dan) suggested that we should declare for the NBA Draft the following year. He, of course, said it jokingly. I, however, thought he was serious.

I did nothing about this idea until this past January, when I began to look into what would need to be done to actually enter the draft. I started by viewing the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here I found in Article X Section 1 (b) the information I was looking for:

(i) The player (A) is or will be at least 19 years of age during the calendar year in wich the Draft is held,
and (B) [...] at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player's graduation from high school [...]
(ii) (F) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in writing received by the NBA at
least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an "Early Entry" player)

It was at that point decided - I must write a letter to the NBA declaring my intent to be drafted. Using my best legalese I crafted such a letter.
declarationletter.JPG

But where do I send such a letter? Despite my best efforts, I could not find an address for sending draft declaration letters. I contacted the NBA through nba.com. Surprisingly I got a response quite quickly; unfortunately, it did not contain an address.

Weeks went by, and finally in early March I found a solution - send the letter using the Fan Relations address given on nba.com. I sent the letter with Attn: Draft Declaration. Additionally, the letter was sent certified mail so I could be sure it was received and the NBA could not ignore my ridiculous declaration. It arrived at NBA League HQ at 12:55 PM on March 4, 2008.

At this point I was unsure what would be needed next, so I waited to be contacted.

Finally on April 1, I got a reply - a letter in my mailbox from the NBA. But this was no April Fools' joke. They were letting me into the NBA Draft.
envelope.JPG

nbacoverletter.JPG

All I needed to do was fill out 3 pages (2 of which are copied below).
form1.JPG

form2.JPG

I faxed those forms in on April 2nd.

Since I had waited and heard nothing back from the NBA in terms of confirmation, on the morning of April 14th I decided to call up the NBA. This conversation went quite well as Erika Ruiz quickly confirmed that all my papers were in order and no further steps needed to be made by me. And behold as of May 1 I am able to find myself on the Early Entry List at draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net under "unknown players".

[h2][/h2]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Memo/Early Entry Candidates[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. The following unknown individuals have also applied as "early entry" players to be eligible for selection in the 2008 NBA Draft:[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kamy'ta Terrell Davis Scott Ernest Gilliland Jeremiah J. Jones Jajuan Robinson[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Samuel C. Ellis Samuel Hailey II Rashad Ali McKinnie Richard Smith[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zachary Feinstein Cornell Hayes David J. Pierre Kenny Yi[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adam S. Fuller Jonathan P. Herman Terrence Robertson Josh Zurn[/font][/font]

[h2][/h2]
"Unknown Individuals"

Kamy'ta Terrell Davis
Scott Ernest Gilliland
Jeremiah J. Jones
Jajuan Robinson
Samuel C. Ellis
Samuel Hailey II
Rashad Ali McKinnie
Richard Smith
Zachary Feinstein
Cornell Hayes
David J. Pierre
Kenny Yi
Adam S. Fuller
Jonathan P. Herman
Terrence Robertson
Josh Zurn

Looking at the 08 Draft list from Draft Express to check dude's name I saw this:

We've received a copy of the official 2008 NBA Draft Early Entry list, with 69 NCAA underclassmen, 21 Internationals, 34 former NCAA players who became automatically eligible for the draft by signing professional contracts, and other "unknown individuals" who are likely entering their name in the draft as a practical joke.
laugh.gif

Dude can brag to his boys that he is in the draft class of Rose, Beasley.
laugh.gif

NBA gonna have a floodgate of pranks now that dude has shown us the process. lmfao
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

That's pretty cool. Just to have your name in there...

Hahahah at his profile though

[h3]Profile[/h3] [table][tr][td]Position:[/td] [td]Shooting Guard/Point Guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Age:[/td] [td]20[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Height:[/td] [td]5'8"[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Weight:[/td] [td]130[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Birthplace:[/td] [td]Irvington, New York[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Current School:[/td] [td]Washington University in St. Louis[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Previous Team:[/td] [td]3rd Grade Rec League[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h3]Key Stats[/h3] [table][tr][td]Game[/td] [td]Got None[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG%[/td] [td]20.0%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT%[/td] [td]NaN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebound[/td] [td]Only to Get Over Sarah[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Steals[/td] [td]Like a Times Square Rolex[/td] [/tr][tr][td]BLK[/td] [td]WHTE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists[/td] [td]I Work Alone[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]BLK: WHTE
laugh.gif

The short story is that I, Zachary Feinstein, have declared for the 2008 NBA Draft. As a 5'8" 130 pound Caucasian, I am the perfect candidate for professional basketball. Also, I do not play basketball.
laugh.gif

I'm sure the NBA will fix this soon, it's bound to happen by the 100's next year.

On another note, it would be hilarious if someone drafted him in the last round just as a joke, and this 130 pound lanky $%% dude had to play

Be sure to add some Euro sounding suffix like -ovich to your name and you'll actually get drafted, 1st round even!

I've always wanted to declare for the draft myself. I was just too lazy to actually figure out how. I hope dude had a press conference, that would behilarious

Back
Top Bottom