how to improve basketball skills?

dribble and shoot a lot...also shoot freethrows...lift weight and do pull ups so u can shoot farther.

Who do you usually play with?

I had a friend who was worst than me and he started practicing on his own. Shooting, dribbling and all that and he's better than me now.

What also can improve your game is playing against people whose better than you, that'll help you a lot

when u shoot shoot really high like derrick fisher so everytime it goes in, the ball wont touch the rim

i'd recommend getting a better shot - if you don't have a consistently decent release, it won't matter how much you practice. Try to get a highrelease like most pure shooters have, whether the ball starts high (above your shoulder) and ends up even higher, like you're shooting up and out of asunroof type window. The ball should go up, not out.

Then once you get a consistent release and can make a good percentage (75 percent) from standstill spots, begin working on catching and shooting while movingaround the court. Don't worry about 3 pointers, a mid range shot is much more valuable to you right now...

Work on ball handling a lot too.. i can't stand playing with people who have poor hands. you don't have to be skip-to-my-lou with the basketball, butyou need to have soft hands and be able to make quick passes in all directions and make catches in traffic using your fingertips. this all comes from havingstrong hands, which you building up through dribbling and passing drills.

if you could get those two things together, you'd be a better player than 50 percent of players in pickup games anywhere.

Make sure when you shoot the ball, your feet are together, not one foot 3 feet in front of the other, and you are on balance.

u cant really teach someone how to shoot a basketball...its the player, he has to feel comfortable shooting...look at marion.

just keep shooting how you would normally shoot...you'll get use to it

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

u cant really teach someone how to shoot a basketball...its the player, he has to feel comfortable shooting...look at marion.

exactly...it's not how you shoot or what motions you follow, just do your thing...

just shoot shoot shoot. get some little kid to rebound for you or somethin
laugh.gif

Get a heavy basketball from here and do a bunch of ball handling drillseveryday for 30 minutes hard, you will see a difference very soon. If you need drills go on youtube; Pistol Pete drills are the best
smile.gif

MayhemMonkey000 wrote:
Originally Posted by amos1321

thank me later

�I don't know why I found that
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
Just keep playing basketball

Word, yeah there's a bunch of drills and stuff but just play. That's the best way to get better.

lol ya i know i find it funny�too, someone posted these a long time ago and everytime i see how to improve i think of it
roll.gif

Originally Posted by amos1321

thank me later

laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

Watching this guy do drills is funny. I was just imagining playing someone in the park who makes noises like him and I wouldn't be able to stop myself fromlaughing.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

exactly...it's not how you shoot or what motions you follow, just do your thing...

laugh.gif

strongly disagree with both of you.

Think of it this way - if he has bad form, it doesn't mean he won't make some shots, but the ones that go in will be as much luck as anything, andwhat's the point of practicing for that?

But - if he actually studies the art of the jumpshot and replicates the techniques, he would be practicing something that he's able to actually improveat and use in a consistent fashion.

Practicing things the wrong way is worse than not practicing at all... is basically what i'm saying. Yes, some guys get by with really ugly shots, butlook at the majority of division 1 basketball players that can shoot, and tell me there isn't a correct way to shoot and an incorrect..You can't. Elbow in tight (not necessarily in the whole way, just to where it's comfortably under the ball), high start, high finish with fingers spread wide, and itall starts with the shoulders being lined up. It's not hard to shoot the correct way, it's just that people don't want to put the work in on it..but trust me, you can switch to a more proper form in a matter of 2 weeks and be getting decent with it.. and from there, you will only see improvementscontinue the more you practice with it.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

laugh.gif

strongly disagree with both of you.

Think of it this way - if he has bad form, it doesn't mean he won't make some shots, but the ones that go in will be as much luck as anything, and what's the point of practicing for that?

But - if he actually studies the art of the jumpshot and replicates the techniques, he would be practicing something that he's able to actually improve at and use in a consistent fashion.

Practicing things the wrong way is worse than not practicing at all... is basically what i'm saying. Yes, some guys get by with really ugly shots, but look at the majority of division 1 basketball players that can shoot, and tell me there isn't a correct way to shoot and an incorrect..You can't. Elbow in tight (not necessarily in the whole way, just to where it's comfortably under the ball), high start, high finish with fingers spread wide, and it all starts with the shoulders being lined up. It's not hard to shoot the correct way, it's just that people don't want to put the work in on it.. but trust me, you can switch to a more proper form in a matter of 2 weeks and be getting decent with it.. and from there, you will only see improvements continue the more you practice with it.
When it comes to sports, I think there is a certain age limit when you can change your style. If the thread starter is younger than 12-15, he may beable to change his shot style/form but if your a bit older, you just have to work with the shot you are accustomed to. It's just one of those things thatis a lot easier to adapt when younger. I'm not saying it's not possible for an older person to change, it will just be harder. So practicing what youalready know might be a better option. I tried switching my shot before, trying to shoot like Ray Allen (releasing at the highest point of my jump) and it wasa lot easier in practice by myself but once I got into a real gametime situation, I just couldn't help but go back to my old style. I tried this for about2-3 months and I couldn't really change my shot.

As for me, I highly suggest just shooting 300-400 shots a day and eventually you will get better.

laugh.gif
Jason Otter

CROSS 2 UHH UHH UHH!!!

If I played against him I think my team would lose since I'd be laughing on the side of the court.

Back
Top Bottom