How To Keep Your Shot Consistent When Playing Basketball?

I hate getting streaky when playing ball. One day I'll go 20-25
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and three days later I'll go 10-30
mad.gif
smh.gif
. What are some things you guys do to keep your shot going consistently?

I had that problem for a long time before I realized it's not so much your hand movement and stroke (though of course that's important), it'sgetting your feet set. I used to always wonder why my stroke could get nothing but net on one shot but the same stroke produced an air ball in another until Irealized my footwork was very inconsistent through each shot. Watch pull-up shooters like Kobe and Wade move their feet (usually their right foot will bebehind them before they bring it parallel to their left) before their shot and you'll get the idea.

laugh.gif

Play the basketball games they have at the arcade, and keep playing until you get your form right and comfortable. Keep your feet/legs square and facing thehoop.

If you want consistency you have to practice it...Do shooting drills where you get a punishment for missing 2 in a row and are rewarded for making 5 in a row(or whatever # is challenging).

Originally Posted by Executive76

Stop taking 25-30 shots and pass the ball

roll.gif

Shooting free throws helps when I'm off. So during downtime I'll just shoot FTs to work on my stroke, then run another pick up game and see whathappens.

Visualization. Read MJ's For the love of the game book. You have to constantly remember situations (pull up,fade aways, CP3 type shots,3 pointers,etc) inyour mind to keep the mental and muscle memory in tact and what type of shot to take when attacking.

10 foul shots
25 shots from left baseline
10 foul shots
25 shots from left elbow extended
10 foul shots
25 shots from right elbow extended
10 foul shots
25 shots from right baseline
10 foul shots

10 three pointers - left baseline
5 one dribble right pull ups
5 one dribble left pull ups
10 foul shots
10 three pointers left angle
10 foul shots
10 three pointers - center
10 foul shots
10 three pointers right angle
10 foul shots
10 three pointers right baseline

this should total
100 foul shots
100 jumpers (first section)
100 threes and one dribble pull ups

^jump shot is a big part of basketball. don't go tell your son, don't ever take jumpshot. lol

check your shooting form

the key to consistency is balance and release. don't imitate lebron or tmac, you don't need to fade away and leg kick when you're wide open.

^ What he said. To further that, it's all about the legs homie. Find that perfect bend and spring up into a release at the top of your jump. a la RayAllen.

what i taught my players i worked with this past summer was form
them being young freshman they didn't really have the strength or confidence
but they had a problem of hitching on the top of their shot
they'd end up shooting on the way down...
though they weren't necessarily shooters, they were pretty streaky
what i told them was tuck that elbow in and shoot on the way up
a soft release, look for the back rim everytime
feet ALWAYS set and square to the basket
shoulders also square that way you don't shoot left or right

that kobe wade thing is true... they step into their shot with their lead foot
its a lot about positioning and footwork my dude. work on it and you'll be good
plus if you're in a slump, shoot freethrows, get to the basket... see the ball going in
but don't force anything, let it come to you

Originally Posted by breakinyourankles

If you go 10-30 for the whole game, don't you realize halfway that you shouldn't be shooting anymore?
Yeah right..... I shoot whether I'm on fire or if I'm having a bad day and off.... that's what real shooters do.
I've had days where I'll go 1 for my first 10.... then catch fire and make 6 in a row.
Sometimes it takes a while to get going, other days you're just on from the starts.

Damn I need to get my shot back to, I didn't realize footwork was that important when it comes to jump shots, all my coaches suck, they never told methis.
laugh.gif

I'll keep that in mind though the next time I shoot around.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom