How to SHIP INT'L via PAYPAL and what not.

bravelude

Banned
HI, I sold an item to an international buyer and I wanna know what my options are.  Do I still need to do EMS to protect myself?  The item is about $400 USD.  What method would be best for me?  Thanks.

Priority Mail international offers tracking only.

At $400 you'd like to have a signature confirmation. Does Express Mail offer that? If so, best to use it.

Just recently won an appeal with paypal on an international item worth $350. Winning that appeal does not get me my money back however is what I found out. Long story short, yes they still require signature confirmation on items over $250 despite the fact that signature confirmation may or may not exist to international destinations. You could possibly use FedEx or UPS to get a signature overseas but it will cost over $100 to ship it. Other than that, to answer your question, theres nothing you can really do, it's at your own risk. As long as your buyer is not a scammer, sending priority international (the big customs form) will give you tracking and should get there withing 2 weeks. Thats what I usually do.

Just recently won an appeal with paypal on an international item worth $350. Winning that appeal does not get me my money back however is what I found out. Long story short, yes they still require signature confirmation on items over $250 despite the fact that signature confirmation may or may not exist to international destinations. You could possibly use FedEx or UPS to get a signature overseas but it will cost over $100 to ship it. Other than that, to answer your question, theres nothing you can really do, it's at your own risk. As long as your buyer is not a scammer, sending priority international (the big customs form) will give you tracking and should get there withing 2 weeks. Thats what I usually do.
So did you you use USPS?   I was thinking about USPS EMS?  Do I have to do CUSTOM FORMS?  Thanks.

Man, screw shipping overseas these days. It's far too easy to get scammed via Paypal with U.S. buyers, let alone international cats. The risk isn't worth it, IMO.

OP, if you must complete the sale, I would ship via EMS. It's quick and has tracking. Not sure about signature confirmation availability though. And yes, you have to fill out a customs form AFAIK.

If your a nickel and dime reseller doing international sales or shipping to Canada is too much of an hassle.

Only deal with US buyers

Dont even get me started with using paypal

Last edited:
If you're going to do it, pay for the shipping online through Paypal. Log in to your paypal account, and you should see a "print shipping label" tab next to the payment. That way your tracking number is automatically stored in their system. It is better proof that you mailed it than having a receipt from the post office.

The customs forms are easy. It's 2 pages. You state what the contents of the package are (IE: used shoes) etc. State the value and then you can mark it as a gift, purchase, etc. I always mark it as a gift, never had problems with that.

Then print it out and you sign your name and date where it is required. You'll need one of the envelopes that the customs papers fit in. When you go to the post office to drop the package off, ask for one and they'll know what you are talking about.

I've been selling on ebay for several years, mailed many packages using this process and never had a problem. But I don't sell very valuable stuff, usually only $100 items so I get by using Priority International. At above $250 you should have a signature confirmation, that is what Paypal states.

& to answer your question about packaging, you package it like anything else. Purchasing bubble wrap or something like that is good, put the poor man's method of newspaper works fine. I'd probably try to have some padding on the inside, whether it's newspaper, plastic bags, etc.

Last edited:
If you're going to do it, pay for the shipping online through Paypal. Log in to your paypal account, and you should see a "print shipping label" tab next to the payment. That way your tracking number is automatically stored in their system. It is better proof that you mailed it than having a receipt from the post office.

The customs forms are easy. It's 2 pages. You state what the contents of the package are (IE: used shoes) etc. State the value and then you can mark it as a gift, purchase, etc. I always mark it as a gift, never had problems with that.

Then print it out and you sign your name and date where it is required. You'll need one of the envelopes that the customs papers fit in. When you go to the post office to drop the package off, ask for one and they'll know what you are talking about.

I've been selling on ebay for several years, mailed many packages using this process and never had a problem. But I don't sell very valuable stuff, usually only $100 items so I get by using Priority International. At above $250 you should have a signature confirmation, that is what Paypal states.

& to answer your question about packaging, you package it like anything else. Purchasing bubble wrap or something like that is good, put the poor man's method of newspaper works fine. I'd probably try to have some padding on the inside, whether it's newspaper, plastic bags, etc.
Thanks.  I just did this.  I've signed all the copies and even dated it.  But, I will need to get that plastic envelope thing.  I kind of estimated the weight of the shoe, but hope it won't be that big of a deal.  Do you know if the worker has to scan it, or will he just provide the plastic envelope and put it on for me and then take it?  Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, EMS will help cover you better since it is a pricey item. Pay for the shipping through paypal and print the customs papers/label from home (assuming you have a printer at home). It is much safer than only having a random receipt from the post office.

Yes, EMS will help cover you better since it is a pricey item. Pay for the shipping through paypal and print the customs papers/label from home (assuming you have a printer at home). It is much safer than only having a random receipt from the post office.
Yes, I just did.  I didn't want to go through the lines at the post office though, but I am afraid I underpaid due to the weight. HAHAH

But, I'll see how it goes tomorrow.  I need the plastic thing.  Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom