How to step out of your cultural boundaries Vol. Teach me

Background : Inner-city bred 22 year old black male, with a perfect blend of urban, suburban, pop culture, intellectual, and street smarts. I am having trouble really meeting people out of my race and really doing better things. 90% of the people within 3 degrees of seperation in Los Angeles from me are too into hip hop culture, drugs, and going out to the club. I am fully aware that others do this outside of my immediate networks, but I am trying to better "culturally align" myself with others who are more into my hobbies and interests. How have some of you "escaped" the social depths of a culture you grew up in?
"

You usually meet those people in college or regular places that you see them. If you are just looking to make random friends on the street then I am not sure what to tell you. Why not just take the people in your current circle to do new things? Then you can meet girls of different cultures. Or hell just go by yourself to "cultural" events and you will meet some folks if you are outgoing. But again, making new friends on the random outing isn't really something that happens often I think.

Glad you made this thread OP. I've been wondering the exact same thing for a while now. To add to this though, I think you'd meet a diverse
group of ppl in college, being more friendly in class or in random places in general can lead to more social outings with different individuals. On
another note attending an HBCU FTL

College, Weed, Music, Art, XBOX.

sounds funny, but I've made a diverse #!$ group of friends from these categories.

but really, though. just do/expose yourself to something new that seems fun. i'm not saying when you go out to forget about your culture, but kind of lose yourself in your surroundings and just embrace %@$% for what it is.

and *+*# clubs! bars, house parties > clubs.

seriously though for me sports was one way from early age especially through high school and even now.

if you want to align with people who are into your hobbies and interest you should try and meet people who interested in those same things.

and of course wc is right, take advantage of LA. people who live in big cities and metro areas have it so much better when it comes to networking and meeting people.

Yea sometimes its hard man, im black/asian, and for some reason it seems fairly easy for me to make friends with blacks,asians, mexicans,middle eastern, almost all races except white people!!!!!

I'm quite the opposite, I been exposed to all ages, races, classes, and scenarios....I don't fit in anywhere, but I blend in everywhere as I "do me".

When you wake up announce to the Universe loud, clearly and confidently who you want to meet on that day and you will. Thought creates reality.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

When you wake up announce to the Universe loud, clearly and confidently who you want to meet on that day and you will. Thought creates reality.
so true.
thoughts --> ideas --> beliefs --> reality (just take action with faith/determination/persistence)

you live in LA, it shouldn't be a problem. some people live in small cities, where it's not diverse in so many aspects of life and it sucks. (like me
laugh.gif
) so take advantage of your situation.

what are you into? you in school? you have any spiritual faith? if you work, connect with others. there's always weekly group meetings of some sort of activity. look in the newspaper or online. i used to go to different churches to meet new people. volunteering is a great way to meet new people.

it's great that you had thoughts about stepping out of your cultural boundaries. some people are afraid to do that and want to stay in their comfort zone, where it leads to no progress in their life.

it's not difficult. just be out there. good luck!

I didn't check all the replies but why it seems to be black people that more often seem to want to be Mr/Ms diversity? I honestly would like to know the answer to that.

mr diversity, no really networking. You know how everyone says I have the hookup or a connect, well I want every connect possible

Originally Posted by StreetSmarts

mr diversity, no really networking. You know how everyone says I have the hookup or a connect, well I want every connect possible
Cool I can understand that. I thought it was just for gp. I'm not against it but I'm moreso into meeting people that have similar things in common regardless of race.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

I didn't check all the replies but why it seems to be black people that more often seem to want to be Mr/Ms diversity? I honestly would like to know the answer to that.

Idk? Maybe people of other races are so ingrained in their comfort zone that they're opposed to branching out

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
I'm trying this $*@* tomorrow

Find out via the Internet, local magazines, the paper about events you normally wouldn't attend but are interested in. Take some friends with you. Find a friend who likes food and start going to different types of restaurants. Find out where people of other cultures go for nightlife and go there.

Back
Top Bottom