How Ya'll be finding these up and coming artists that are actually good?

There's so many artists out there trying to come up, and so many are complete trash.

I really wanna get into some new stuff, but I feel like I have to wade through so much basura just to stumble along someone who sounds like they have potential.

How are ya'll finding these cats? Noisey? 2DB? Nah Right?

Bored at work and I need some new artists to check out.

I let NT put me on :pimp:

Notables: KRIT, Blue Sky Black Death, Joey Badass, Bronsolini, Jody HiGHROLLER.

There ain't no easy way bruh 
laugh.gif

Even going to the blogs you listed you'll still have to sift through ********, a lot of these hip-hop sites/blogs are pay to play and end up posting the same **** anyway

How I find **** is a combo of visiting a lot of sites/blogs, music forums, random youtube/souncloud/live mixtapes/datpiff sifting, and just keeping my ear to the streets. Majority of my fam is in LA and ATL so I'm in both places a lot and even when I'm not I'm constantly checking in to see whats popping in the area or what they're listening to. Going to college allowed me to diversify my network beyond the hood so I ask a lot of different people I associate with in my area what they listening to also

What other music forums do you visit besides here? This joint isn't really the most popping and def ain't how it used to be when I first started coming here in the ezboard days. Its weird now, If it's a new artist a lot of times ****** here will gloss right over the thread, it'll get like 5 replies and fade into the dark meanwhile the artist will have active multiple page threads going on other forums 
mean.gif
laugh.gif
. I remember coming here years ago and it would the other way around

Last edited:
Like others said before....blogs, forums, and random youtube/soundcloud hunting is how I find what I like. I actually enjoy it though, sometimes you'll have a hot streak and find a good 3 or 4 artists you really like or sometimes it's a barren wasteland :lol:

Blogs for the most part, or if an artist i really **** w/ collabs w/ one, i might get curious and check out some of their stuff.

Or when one of my favorite artists makes playlist w/ **** they listen too i'll go out on a limb and check out some of them.

And right now it's the time of year where all these websites/blogs put out their end of year lists... that's how i discovered alot of new artists the past few years.

I find that youtube is the best place to discover new music. Majestic Casual is one of my favorite channels.

It's a whole lot of trial and error though.

Nt has helped me a lot when it comes to discovering new music. Also Pandora/Spotify has put me on to some too. I discovered 8ball & MJG through the UGK Spotify channel

Last edited:
You discovered 8 ball and mjg through spotify? I hope you young as hell man :lol:

Twitter my source these days....don't **** with the nmc blogs anymore cause they label slurpers since the gov shook them up

Last edited:
Mostly the suggestions tab on the right on youtube. Like dude said above if an artist collabs with another artist and it's really dope i'll go check them out on their own too and the cycle keeps on going.

Last edited:
Like others said before....blogs, forums, and random youtube/soundcloud hunting is how I find what I like. I actually enjoy it though, sometimes you'll have a hot streak and find a good 3 or 4 artists you really like or sometimes it's a barren wasteland :lol:

This :lol:

Just to add, sometimes they'll be randomly featured on other artists stuff that you're already familiar with. There's a good amount of of artists whose names I've seem for a long time on other peoples stuff, but never actually sought them out to listen to (Boaz, Bodega Bamz(?), Skippa The Flippa, and some others). I'm more inclined to actively seek out unknown local artists than some from other areas.

Also, I'd like to than NT for putting me on to ASAP, SpaceGhostPurp, Action Bronsin and Migos, and also making me do a 180 on Gunplay and Riff Raff.

Y'all can keep nearly every GBE/300 dude, OVO, Bobby Shmurda, Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan though

The Smoking Section via johngotty johngotty has put me on to numerous dope new artists over the years. Those guys just seem to be slightly ahead of the curve when it comes to singling out new artists that are actually good.

The Smoking Section via johngotty johngotty has put me on to numerous dope new artists over the years. Those guys just seem to be slightly ahead of the curve when it comes to singling out new artists that are actually good.

To be honest, it comes from just developing friendships w/ people whose tastes somewhat align with yours. I know I have a handful of people - ranging from regular folk (and even NT counts here) to DJs, other media, publicists and managers - where we constantly talk to each other and trade names of cats + music. That's where we usually find the biggest come-ups.

For us, it helps that none of our staff lives in major media hubs or is connected to the whole circle jerk where you're publishing content b/c you're tied in w/ a managers, labels, etc. Like, I don't feel pressure to post Artist A just b/c he and his team live in my city and I feel like I owe them. Imagine being in NY or LA and constantly running into artists bombing you w/ material when you're at the same continuum of listening events, parties, shows, etc.

Then, some of it just comes from pushing play, which a handful of our guys do daily/regularly.

Odd, but one of the places I will end up finding music is by letting Soundcloud play thru to the next song or by landing on somebody's Tumblr that i really like and they have a music player going. Also, I talk w/ kids a lot too.

But you're biggest source is usually going to be the people around you who have good taste and the ability to sift thru bs.

To be honest, it comes from just developing friendships w/ people whose tastes somewhat align with yours. I know I have a handful of people - ranging from regular folk (and even NT counts here) to DJs, other media, publicists and managers - where we constantly talk to each other and trade names of cats + music. That's where we usually find the biggest come-ups.

For us, it helps that none of our staff lives in major media hubs or is connected to the whole circle jerk where you're publishing content b/c you're tied in w/ a managers, labels, etc. Like, I don't feel pressure to post Artist A just b/c he and his team live in my city and I feel like I owe them. Imagine being in NY or LA and constantly running into artists bombing you w/ material when you're at the same continuum of listening events, parties, shows, etc.

Then, some of it just comes from pushing play, which a handful of our guys do daily/regularly.

Odd, but one of the places I will end up finding music is by letting Soundcloud play thru to the next song or by landing on somebody's Tumblr that i really like and they have a music player going. Also, I talk w/ kids a lot too.

But you're biggest source is usually going to be the people around you who have good taste and the ability to sift thru bs.

Good points, man. Good points.

However it's done, keep doing what you're doing. The formula is clearly working. :pimp:

Features

If I hear you on some tracks and the verses were dope I'll check that person out

Shout out johngotty johngotty for the wise words

Ive been on boxden pretty heavy the last few years but their music section is more gossip than hot new ****

I've always had an aversion to KTT cause it just seems like a bunch of kids yelling about stuff but I'm gonna start checkin it out.

I guess just talking to people and seeing what folks like is a good way to find some new **** I might rock with.

What about the coli? I never really checked them out but they are apparently a pretty popping hip hop forum.

I rock with r/hiphopheads but reddit in general is weird in navigating and organization of topics

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom