Hype about Jay-Z and Kanye's Enormodome shows aside, THIS may be the best local show of the year

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Widespread Panic > ________

Hip Hop/Rap shows are a waste of money.

Not sure if that's directed at my thread title or at Van Hunt but for the record he's definitely NOT "hip hop/rap"
And I can guarantee when he plays that the room won't have the combined stench of dirty hippies and cheap cologne of fratboys like it does when WidespreadPanic plays
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Not sure if that's directed at my thread title or at Van Hunt but for the record he's definitely NOT "hip hop/rap"
And I can guarantee when he plays that the room won't have the combined stench of dirty hippies and cheap cologne of fratboys like it does when Widespread Panic plays
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm on it this time Badgeman! After missing his show the last time, I added him to my alert list. lol

Never seen him live, so I am looking forward to this.

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

I'm on it this time Badgeman! After missing his show the last time, I added him to my alert list. lol

Never seen him live, so I am looking forward to this.

I would definitely get advance tickets, I'd estimate that there were a good 400-500 people at the last show and that was in the main room, thebackstage room holds 200-300 at best. Though I don't see a mainstage show yet on the same night so I suppose there's always the possibility of movinghim upstairs to sell more tickets...nonetheless I'm definitely doing the advance sales thing.

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

You're overstepping your boundaries.
smh.gif

Don't overgeneralize.

My-T.

I'm not saying I agree with him fully but there was a LOT more value for the money when you could pay $25 to see 5-6 known acts on one bill (Run DMC, DJJazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Stetsasonic, EPMD, etc) and then it wasn't a big deal to see them play 30 minute sets each but from whatI've heard in the past few years about most hip hop artists set times versus what they're charging just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. Ipaid $30 to see PE play almost 2 hours last year but that's almost certainly an exception nowadays (I also paid $100 for a ticket to the Rock the Bellsfestival in NYC last year but if not for the fact that RATM was doing a reunion set I'm not sure it would've been worth the time and effort to get upthere), though I'm definitely curious to hear whether someone else has another take on it.

If he plays cuts from the 1st album, it may be worth it... The 2nd album was less than satisfactory imo...

Originally Posted by ksmith4768

If he plays cuts from the 1st album, it may be worth it... The 2nd album was less than satisfactory imo...

He played cuts from both albums when he was here a few months back, I'll concede that some of his material can be inconsistent at times but he stillexhibits far more songwriting and performing ability than guys singing scales to weak synthesized garbage and calling it R&B.

Sorry Van I might have to take it back, just found out the Toadies are playing DC again for the first time in over 7 years
eek.gif

VARISOXFAN wrote:

And I can guarantee when he plays that the room won't have the combined stench of dirty hippies and cheap cologne of fratboys like it does when Widespread Panic plays
laugh.gif

Nah I was talking more so about the Jay Z, Kanye part.

Ive seen enough hip hop rap acts in person to know they dont give a rats about actually performing. Even though Widespread is a bunch of dirty hippies, theyput on a hell of a show and actually care about people leaving with a good experience.

OK, who's coming out tomorrow night? Unbelievably it's not sold out yet, he's playing a space about the size of your living room don't sleepon this show folks!

best show already happened when modern life is war played their last show in baltimore a few weeks ago. nobody will back me on that though.

Yo Scotch did you make it out? I hope so, GREAT show and fortunately they moved it to the roomier upstairs area so had quite a bit of breathing room to enjoythe show close up. The guy may be the most talented R&B musician to come along since Prince, not sure why he doesn't get more attention.

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

Nah, I got caught up moving.

Too bad bro, he mentioned being back out with a full band in the next few months but no label I'm not sure how feasible that really is with no toursupport $$$ so I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Thursday May 1st
Van Hunt performing solo acoustic
@ the Black Cat (in the "backstage" room)
pimp.gif

Did you go?

No Sir... I heard Van Hunt in Cleveland a couple years back in the Flats... dude is...
pimp.gif

I agree, you need to catch him next time he hits DC.

Back
Top Bottom