Hype v.s. OG's

Having a discussion about hype products, and wearing what you like. Hearing a lot of backlash through OG sneaker collectors about people only going for the hype regarding shoes. I also want to hear about people that do only go for the hype sneakers and what their opinion is on the OG sneaker collecters bashing newcomers.

I want this to be a safe discussion!

Hype has nothing to do with people who have always loved sneakers. Hype is a sheeple business.

OG just means hype from a prior era imo

Gotta disagree with that. A lot of the hype older guys have on older shoes was because the shoes were just flat out dope not because a celebrity/artist/ or certain number was made. Of course shoes like the Jordan's, Agassi's and Bo's had insane marketing campaigns but ultimately the shoe designs were like nothing anyone had ever seen before, was mind-blowing at the time. If you look at the most hight tech shoe from 1980 and compare it to the most high tech shoe from 1989/1990 its a huge difference. When you look at shoes like The Jordan V and then compare it to the Foamposite another Major jump. As the next two decades would play out things have become less shocking yet shoes are lighter than ever and do things shoes of the past could never do problem is companies are having a harder time making innovative tech cool without some type of celebrity non athlete endorsement, "influencer co-sign" or just making the shoes hard to get.

People say OG's are the people who were the hype chasers back in the day, but I know back in the day they did not care if the shoe was a collab or anything, it was solely on if the shoe was dope or not. Which I respect to this day, and try to keep this in mind when getting a new pair. I appreciate your answer it really gives a good perspective to this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom