I am taking Computer Science 101 at Stanford for the next 6 weeks. For free. You can too.

Last year, I created a well-received thread on ItunesU and YoutubEDU. Well, those same enthusiastic NTers now need to check out Coursera. Live classes from such esteemed institutions as Stanford, Princeton, Penn, UMich, and Berkeley. I hope more will follow. (especially my alma mater!)

Stanford started 5 new classes TODAY. It's not too late to sign up. Check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

https://www.coursera.org/

Someone made a thread about this like 6 months ago.
I think Stanford was also offering like entrepreneur classes as well.
I signed up for CS, but I won't be participating haha.
I have finals coming up in a few weeks.

Do they actually grade you?

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

(1) I searched for Coursera and nothing came up.
(2) Yes , exercises are graded.

not to rain on any parades but intro to compsci is gonna be pretty much the same at any reputable 4 year university and not much beyond a set of regular juco courses

world class professors are judged as such because of their contribution to research, not their ability to teach, the two don't always match up

just signed up for the world music course 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

(1) I searched for Coursera and nothing came up.
(2) Yes , exercises are graded.
i was the one who made the thread. in fact you posted in it
roll.gif
roll.gif

http://niketalk.com/topic...lasses-to-anybody?page=1

Originally Posted by FlashEightZero

not to rain on any parades but intro to compsci is gonna be pretty much the same at any reputable 4 year university and not much beyond a set of regular juco courses

world class professors are judged as such because of their contribution to research, not their ability to teach, the two don't always match up

strong avy to response post

for (i = 0; i < array.length; i++) {
 if (#NT) {system.out.print('swag');}
 else {return 0;}
}

I miss basic comp sci. I pray for you the day you learn about binary search trees.

Originally Posted by Truballa101

Originally Posted by theDEEK

Is this something I could add to my transcript
laugh.gif

or resume?
laugh.gif

wishful thinking
you get a completion certificate, but it doesn't count toward credit hours. This is strictly for people that's interested in learning at their own pace. 
Basically it's the same material and info you would get in a regular college class, but you just dont pay so you don't get  the "credit" for it. 

Considering I recently heard a news segment about a multiple college dropout who taught him self computers from the internet and just messing around, and got hired by google  and is doing quite well for himself, I say the gates are open. From the interview, they say that companies like google aren't looking for the traditional 4.0gpa  member of many activities type of student. They are instead looking for the talent that gets overlooked by traditional hiring processes.  The interview process is different as well for example instead of telling them about a time you displayed leadership, they'll give you a puzzle to solve, ask you something that may seem lofty and unrelated to the job etc.

Originally Posted by Yeah

else {return 0;}
}

I miss basic comp sci. I pray for you the day you learn about binary search trees linked lists and recursion.

Fixed
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  Basic, singly linked lists are fine, but when you have to start keeping track of multiple singly or doubly linked lists that point to each other ++%@ gets real messy
sick.gif
.  Then you have recursion, which never made sense to me, and I had projects based around using it
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by Yeah

else {return 0;}
}

I miss basic comp sci. I pray for you the day you learn about binary search trees linked lists and recursion.

Fixed
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  Basic, singly linked lists are fine, but when you have to start keeping track of multiple singly or doubly linked lists that point to each other ++%@ gets real messy
sick.gif
.  Then you have recursion, which never made sense to me, and I had projects based around using it
30t6p3b.gif

I can count to potato.

Back
Top Bottom